Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Super slow world generation  (Read 1770 times)

MetalGear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Super slow world generation
« on: September 15, 2010, 07:53:44 pm »

So, I just downloaded 31.13 and decided that I need a new world for the new version. The game decided otherwise. I spend around an hour waiting through the Age of Myth until the game decided to freeze in Year 607. I tried two more times, but neither seemed any faster and I wasn't gonna wait and see if they freeze too. So, is this only some issue in the new version that will be resolved shortly, or has Dwarf Fortress finally become too much for my pile of crap computer to handle?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Super slow world generation
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 08:03:30 pm »

Yeah the loading times are apperantly SUPER long now despite the fact that it was actually supposed to get even shorter

I guess you have to wait a bit longer.

MetalGear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 08:14:03 pm »

Dang...
So, will the game itself run at the regular speed for me (which wasn't much to begin with  :() if I just last through a couple of hours of little virtual people having their little virtual wars?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 08:15:04 pm »

Dang...
So, will the game itself run at the regular speed for me (which wasn't much to begin with  :() if I just last through a couple of hours of little virtual people having their little virtual wars?

Fortress mode is perfectly fine I hear

Adventurer mode however apperantly gets the full brunt of this slowdown.

MetalGear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 08:35:30 pm »

Double dang...
I was planning on taking a break from fortress management and just doing some adventuring.
A whole bunch of dorfs running around is probably gonna slow things down anyways. I really need a new computer...

Thadius

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:homemade coffee]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 11:09:20 pm »

I was waiting for an hour and some twenty minutes while it scripted out every last event.  This was AFTER it rejected 26 maps for reasons unknown while it then found a world it liked (blessed be!) and began simulating, probably down to the last grain of sand blowing on the wind, the creation of this world by Armok himself and a few helpers.

At least, it better damn well have been that.  Otherwise there is no justification for it taking so damned long not only to make, but load every single time.
If you accidentally lock the elves in the depot and wait until they're insane to capture them in cages and then lock the next group of elves in the depot and unleash the insane elves from their cages, that's still somehow your fault.