Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cascading endgame?  (Read 1289 times)

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
Cascading endgame?
« on: September 14, 2010, 11:55:35 pm »

I'm had this idea for a needlessly complex, frivilous, and resource consuming way to cause some noble fun.

x = stone
- = bridge
* = pressure plate

x-*-x
             x-x*x-x
            x-xx*xx-x

This would cause multilevel caveins, kill a noble of your choice, and possibly destroy your entire fort... Do cave in's trigger pressure plates? I have no idea.
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

Zebra2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cascading endgame?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 12:02:37 am »

I would assume a cave-in just destroys the pressure plate, but you could design it so that the cave-ins destroy the next level of bridges, but that may make the whole thing instant.

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 12:09:10 am »

Does a cave-in displace water and lava?
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

Overspeculated

• Bay Watcher
  • euklid on pth
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 12:15:19 am »

You cannot cause cave-ins via bridges, bridges do not provide support.

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 12:35:05 am »

You cannot cause cave-ins via bridges, bridges do not provide support.

I can work around that.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It should work right?, or will the cave in destroy the lava before it can move?

why did I stay up till 2am making this, why dorffort, why?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 12:56:26 am by Zidane »

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 01:37:07 am »

Cave ins go straight trough floors so you could create something that is constantly only supported by floors. Alternatifly you could use supports and the fact that water is moved upwards if a natural wall falls into it

that methode would look something like this (side view)
+ +
bb+bp
  +   +
  W

+ is wall
b=bridge
p=pressure plate
W=water
what happens is the natural walls cave in on the water which then spread to the tiles next to the cave in which have bridges on them so the water flows over them to a pressure plate in order to allow the next cave-in.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Da Spadger

• Bay Watcher
  • WINDMILL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 01:39:12 am »

why did I stay up till 2am making this, why dorffort, why?

Completely normal. Don't fight it.
While flooding by mining is done slowly, tediously and by accident, flooding by dwarven engineering is done with great speed, endless vigor and also by accident.

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 10:49:53 am »

You could use ice to trigger the pressure plates?

When ice caves in it creates 7/7 water as far as I know.

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 03:29:41 pm »

I could make a stone walkway supported by pillars, each pressure plate activates the pillar holding up the block before it.

Tommy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2010, 04:00:26 pm »

You've got a bit to learn about cave-ins here.  Any floor-level item, be it a natural carved floor, a hatch, a bridge or a built floor will completely fail to stop a cave-in if it's not supported underneath by a natural or constructed wall, and a natural cave-in will completely destroy anything it directly lands on.  It won't trigger your pressure plates in the way you're hoping, but if you're inventive with your floor supports you can build a system which will allow a smaller cave-in to cause a larger one by destroying the floor tiles supporting a lower level.
HAHAHA YES MY EXPIDITION LEADER IS PARTYING WITH GHOSTS THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER
Dwarf Fortress in a nutshell. It includes dead things, parties, and getting really excited over updates.

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2010, 08:06:02 pm »

So... Who can simulate Conway's game of life using cave-ins?  Each level is a generation.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

qwert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2010, 09:29:24 pm »

You've got a bit to learn about cave-ins here.  Any floor-level item, be it a natural carved floor, a hatch, a bridge or a built floor will completely fail to stop a cave-in if it's not supported underneath by a natural or constructed wall, and a natural cave-in will completely destroy anything it directly lands on.  It won't trigger your pressure plates in the way you're hoping, but if you're inventive with your floor supports you can build a system which will allow a smaller cave-in to cause a larger one by destroying the floor tiles supporting a lower level.

Hrm, could you link the supports to activated levers (Using a not logic setup if necessary) and have the levers set up to be smashed by the cavein?

vlademir1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2010, 10:36:14 pm »

So... Who can simulate Conway's game of life using cave-ins?  Each level is a generation.

Wouldn't that be effectively more a linear cellular automaton than a Conway's implementation?