Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: You have struck admantine!Praise the...Oh crap!  (Read 1775 times)

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You have struck admantine!Praise the...Oh crap!
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2010, 10:45:15 am »

With 10 legendary military dwarves, I can safely say that it's a good idea not to bust open clowntopia yet.

If you decide to see where the pit is, have a mason with no job nearby ready to build a wall.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2010, 11:15:46 am »

Do trap avoiders avoid upright spears/spikes linked to a repeater?
I don't think so, but building destroyers might give you some trouble there.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2010, 11:36:54 am »

As a general rule, if mining a tile of adamantine reveals an unrevealed tile within the pillar it is not worth the risk. If mining a tile of adamantine does not reveal an unrevealed tile, it's 100% safe.

Also note that the hollow parts are always 2x2 squares. If mining a square of adamantine reveals an unrevealed square that cannot be a part of a 2x2 hollow structure, it's again 100% safe. For example, something like this:
...****.
...*uu*.
...*u**.
..**u*..
..*uu*..
..*uu*..
..****..

. = mined tile
* = unmined adamantine tile
u = unrevealed space

If a z-level of the vein looked like this, the entire top half is safe to mine because while the inside is unrevealed it cannot form a 2x2 structure and thus cannot be the hollow part of the tube. The lower half, however, could be hollow, if the hollow part of the tube extended this high.

Edit: Whenever I discover cotton candy, I do this, in order:
1. Mine out the entire area around the vein, without touching the adamantine. Go up and down the whole spire as far as possible. Magma sea usually makes the bottom difficult, but you can usually nab some free tiles down there.
2. Determine which tiles are safe and which are risky using the above. Designate all safe tiles to be mined.
3. Have my engravers smooth the entire risky part of the spire. Then, starting from the top, having them carve fortifications into the rock one level at a time. This will reveal the insides of the spire; if it is solid, mine it out. If it is hollow, you will trigger the demons, but they will not have a path into your fort. Your FPS will drop, but it'll return eventually. Have your engravers run away, seal that level off and never go there again. This will also reveal the entire hollow part of the tube, letting you know which tiles are safe to mine below your reveal point; might as well mine those.
4. Profit!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 11:45:33 am by Khift »

mrbobbyg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2010, 11:48:42 am »

Do trap avoiders avoid upright spears/spikes linked to a repeater?
I don't think so, but building destroyers might give you some trouble there.

I played dig deeper in 40d, and Orcs, which had trapavoid, were nicely kebabed by spike/spear traps.  Go big though, no wood or glass, and report the results for SCIENCE!

On a side note, I like how often SCIENCE! is DF code for dwarftorture.
!!Elves!! would actually be kinda cool as a civ symbol.  !!Clowns!!, however, you get the impression they're on fire of their own free, malicious, evil, will.

Also, much scarier if literally clowns.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2010, 12:34:43 pm »

Two options work well:

1)  Gather 300 of your best dwarves and finest weapons and arms. Station them at the breach. Meet the invaders head on. FOR GLORY! Then build a legendary dining on the slade.

2) Hundreds and hundreds of masterwork spikes, preferably steel or adamantine, linked to a repeater in a very narrow, 1 tile wide corridor that snakes back and forth in a lengthy maze.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2010, 02:10:11 pm »

Well those demons do have to go trough a 1x1 square, being the one you just dug out. That square is also connected to a steep drop down to the back of the world-turtle. You could try setting up a constant stream of falling blocks to keep them at bay. Alternatively I do not know what a waterfall rushing down from the surface would do to the demons but I can't imagine it doing them any good.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2010, 02:22:39 pm »

Well those demons do have to go trough a 1x1 square, being the one you just dug out. That square is also connected to a steep drop down to the back of the world-turtle. You could try setting up a constant stream of falling blocks to keep them at bay. Alternatively I do not know what a waterfall rushing down from the surface would do to the demons but I can't imagine it doing them any good.
Besides killing your FPS since it drains into a huge empty space?  Well, 1) demons don't drown in water or magma, and 2) remember that there are no currents in a 7-depth tile no matter how fast water may seem to be moving through it.  Stuff can only be pushed by water that has <7 in it right now.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2010, 02:25:56 pm »

Hmm Might need to dump magma on top of it when you're done then :P

I was thinking more of having the falling water work to dispatch anything that's flying upwards down a few levels so the beasties can't reach your fort though. That should give you plenty of time to wall the area off or device another solution.

CaveIn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2010, 03:38:37 pm »

With ~30 "perfect" warriors (legendary weapon skill, shield, armor, dodge and most assigned a war elephant), I killed all the demons that spawned from hell (almost 100), with no casualties... until the toxic blood spread around and started blinding and killing dwarves and my elephants. So it's possible to kill them all, but watch out: they are at their most deadly when dead!
I can see my hammer dwarf standing next to a beat bloody elf asking :"How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?"....."What do you mean you don't know?!" *BANG there goes another rib*

Tommy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2010, 04:18:37 pm »

That's not all of them.  That's all the ones that immediately spawned.  The rest will arrive more slowly, but they will come.  There's no effective limit to their numbers.
HAHAHA YES MY EXPIDITION LEADER IS PARTYING WITH GHOSTS THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER
Dwarf Fortress in a nutshell. It includes dead things, parties, and getting really excited over updates.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2010, 04:24:14 pm »

That's not all of them.  That's all the ones that immediately spawned.  The rest will arrive more slowly, but they will come.  There's no effective limit to their numbers.
They usually arrive 1 at a time, so it's really slow, I tried that and it's not a challenge :(.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2010, 06:46:51 pm »

I tried the washing them back down the hole method with water before and it does sorta work if you set it up  so that most of the water is shallower than 7/7 (so that the water is always pushing the demons back down the tunnel)

Unfortunately however, that method failed as soon as a !!demon!! showed up.  Flash boiled away all the water before it could even get within 3 tiles of him, clearing the path for the others. 

Magma may work better.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2010, 07:05:07 pm »

I wish that the demons that spawned after the initial wave got progressively stronger.  Have the initial mook rush (Of mooks comaprable to a lot of warriors...) followed by the master demons who don't need to hurry.

Koji

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2010, 07:18:51 pm »

Any time I've ever done it, the circus has been several z-levels down. Usually what happens is you get a bunch of feeble smoke-based clowns that die in one hit and one or two clowns made of flesh or something stronger that just flat-out refuse to die. Once, my dwarves took them all out except one made of standard tissue who tore them to pieces and then ravaged the surface world.

Oh, and they will start fires. Be ready for that.
Dwarvenrealms
ASCII | Graphical
Over 220 new creatures, new civs, new industries, and a fully customized tileset!
Pages: 1 [2]