Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 22

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.13 Released  (Read 111949 times)

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.13 Released
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2010, 10:23:18 am »

N1 with fps optimization Toady, N1 indeed...
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

skeletonhat

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Reor, Creo, Incito
    • View Profile
    • Imaginary Thomas and the No Such Things
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2010, 10:26:56 am »

Tried again, no segfault. maybe a fluke?

Anyways, I'm excited to play, thank toady!

s2r2

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2010, 10:38:39 am »

*Ninjaed by toady*

Yeah, Windows 2000 was EOLed quite a while ago. Microsoft no longer supports it, which makes anyone else supporting it hard.. I'll see what I can dig up, but at this point I don't have high hopes.

Dropping VS 2010 would require rewriting some code, and it would also revert a large part of the performance gain in this version.. why are you still using 2000, if I may ask?

Why would you need to revert a large ammount of performance gain to just re add windows 2000 support? All you need to do is either add a single if at the start of the program so that if the OS version is windows 2000 you run on a different path, or maybe you could just edit the setting in VS2010 to make it output valid win32 exe for windows 2000. (http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vcpluslanguage/thread/4924c9de-3d0a-4de6-81aa-d6f985136779) That is assuming that it does not break due to changes in how the exe was made, but it might be worth a quick test before adding the first look up at run time to see if you are running windows 2000, or even more ideally compile time and have a link for a windows 2000 version and a windows xp or better version. Properly abstracted it should not be that hard to do, but I don't know how good the code is with regards to that.

As for why he might be running windows 2000. If you have a computer that runs windows 2000 just fine, why spend the money to upgrade to windows xp and make it slower. I personally have a machine that is running windows 2000 server right now, it works and there little reason I can find to upgrade it to the latest version, only to have it run slower and need more hardware.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2010, 10:53:08 am »

I'm getting block characters with a font that I know for a fact supports all of the characters DF has.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2010, 11:01:01 am »

A simple if does not work in this case i fear. MSVC is a nice developing environment but i tend to use other Environments nowadays - eclipse for example. A big pro is that you can use different Compiler plugins in many of these programms thus you can use them to compile for any system without switching the Dev-environmant. MS does iirc its own "c++"-compiler (which is optimised for windows) but does not support older versions of its own os which is sometimes annoying. Also compiling older sourcecode with new compiler/MSVC-version is annoying at times because it doesnt give alerts (usualy) if some of the code is outdated (did run once into a little problem with i/ostreams for saving data on the HDD because my code was outdated MSVC said a shit)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 11:04:53 am by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2010, 11:18:05 am »

So I assume that no changes have been made to weapon/armor or weapon/armor material balance except for a few bug fixes?

That would mean that the latest weapon tests are still accurate.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2010, 11:23:11 am »

Thanks Toady, doesnt seem to be crashing yet and its running 4-5 fps faster (from 16-20 to 20-26 w/176 dwarves).
Awesome  :)
Lucky you, I still get steady 2 FPS with just 61 dorfs and year 1055 in Linux.
With no temperature or weather, most animals butchered, etc.
Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2010, 11:25:28 am »

A simple if does not work in this case i fear.
And in any case, I doubt it is worth the effort to add something for Win2000.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Thadius

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:homemade coffee]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2010, 11:36:07 am »

Crash fixes
   (*)fixed some potential problems with aborting zone placement, though it's not guaranteed to solve the crash there

Oh well while I never did experience that, nice to know I may not-

Major bug fixes
   (*)fixed problem causing dwarves to not sleep in any bed
   (*)fixed problem causing dwarves not to respect ownership in sleeping priorities
   (*)made cursor center on buildings properly when linking them up to a lever etc.

(*)stopped other civilizations from bringing liaisons
   (*)stopped building destroyer diplomats/traders from destroying things
   (*)made units check the validity of targets more often (counters certain interrupt spam)

:o

Other bug fixes/tweaks
   (*)fixed broken vial making jobs
   (*)make rock short swords use the proper material for the final product
   (*)made horn silver use the stone template
   (*)moved all native metals off of metal template
   (*)stopped season counter from resetting to spring after travel in adventure mode

Strike the earth.
If you accidentally lock the elves in the depot and wait until they're insane to capture them in cages and then lock the next group of elves in the depot and unleash the insane elves from their cages, that's still somehow your fault.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2010, 11:45:39 am »

I'm getting block characters with a font that I know for a fact supports all of the characters DF has.
It's a work in progress. There's probably something wrong with the unicode converter somewhere, I'll have a look.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2010, 11:48:09 am »

Huh. Interesting. I don't see any real changes to the entity raws other than the population increase.

Does this mean that all of the new off-site population methods are controlled by the site type?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

s2r2

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2010, 11:52:00 am »

A simple if does not work in this case i fear.
And in any case, I doubt it is worth the effort to add something for Win2000.

I would rate it as how much effort it takes, after all if all he has to do is put it though G++ to get a win2k binary that works just fine but is slower then the one from VS2010, then it would be fine. If he has to rewrite more then a few lines of code, it might be. If he has to remove all the improvements he made to speed to get it to work again it would not be worth it, but considering the fact that there is a Linux and OSX binary, I would guess that it likely the first one, if not the second one. Last time I looked, G++ under windows still made perfectly fine W2k Binaries.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2010, 11:57:38 am »

Thanks Toady, doesnt seem to be crashing yet and its running 4-5 fps faster (from 16-20 to 20-26 w/176 dwarves).
Awesome  :)
Lucky you, I still get steady 2 FPS with just 61 dorfs and year 1055 in Linux.
With no temperature or weather, most animals butchered, etc.

What size embark area?  Have you tweaked the rendering options in init?  Do you have billions of items lying around?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2010, 12:02:33 pm »

Huh. Interesting. I don't see any real changes to the entity raws other than the population increase.

Does this mean that all of the new off-site population methods are controlled by the site type?
Probably, at least for now. Decoupling them can't really come in until all methods work nicely.

I would rate it as how much effort it takes,...
Well, sure, but so far I'm the only one who has spoken up to use Win2000, so unless many others speak up, it'd be a change just for one guy on the interwebs.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2010, 12:07:04 pm »

Great work!
Now take a well earned nap ;)

I've been wanting to embark on a populated area, but if even just one tile of populated area is selected, it won't let me embark.
I thought you were able to embark on human towns.
Now I can't seem to embark anywhere that shows population.

Did I miss reading something?

Oh well, guess I'll have to wipe out towns in adventure mode now...

Still, good job!
I'm patiently waiting for the ability to mine and construct palaces in adventure mode.
Barony. A 3D, multiplayer roguelike I am developing.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 22