Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.13 Released  (Read 111191 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Dwarf Fortress 0.31.13 Released
« on: September 15, 2010, 08:45:51 am »

Download (Click refresh on your browser if it doesn't show up)

The framework for villages and sprawl is in place, and there are now "entity populations" which are made up of thousands of critters for which less information is tracked.  As it stands, this amounts to, say, ten times the number of historical figures after world generation has been running for a while, though it can vary a lot.  These changes have left adventure mode gutted, so don't expect old adventure mode saves to retain much information or work all that well.  Old dwarf mode saves should be fine for continued dwarf fortresses.  In new worlds, you can wander around the new villages, but don't expect anything to be going on.  This is the launching pad for what should be the Funification of adventure mode in the next (non-fix) release, but like many launching pads, it is kind of dull and gray.

As for the merits of this release, there are the bug fixes in the lists below.  The game should also be a bit faster.  I'm on a new compiler in Windows, which led to a general speed increase, and I also optimized some code for improvements on all OSs.  It's not the end of the story there by a long shot, but it is progress, anyway.  World generation itself might be a bit slower overall, since there's a lot more going on site-wise.  This is going to change as we set up relationships between the leaders, one way or another, but I can make a medium island world in around 10 minutes without the memory going totally nuts, and I thought that state was fit for release.

There are some side effects to not having any stable relationships between world gen sites while cutting down on site destructions, like having a site get pillaged for the thousandth time and so on, which will iron themselves out later.  For now, it's a bit weird.  I also saw a battle with negative numbers of soldiers but couldn't reproduce the situation, so there are probably additional issues as well.

The SDL version has the first pass at the experimental TrueType font support that Baughn is working on.  It is off by default in init.txt and it only works in the 2D print mode.  There are lots of justification etc. problems -- you don't need to report those.  Getting those fixed up is part of the process.  It's difficult to read in the standard window size, so you might want to limit yourself to full-screen or a large window with large grid cells when you are trying it out.

The SDL Windows version may be missing some DLLs.  The additional DLLs are here in case it comes up.  Just unzip that in the main folder.  Hopefully I'll have a Mac version together soon -- I need to update GCC to get the new SDL stuff to run (as well as some of the new optimizations), and that is taking time.

I'll post fixes as necessary before embarking on the next proper release.  I changed a lot of stuff between entity populations and optimizations, so I'd be surprised if there weren't a bag of issues.

Crash fixes
   (*)fixed some potential problems with aborting zone placement, though it's not guaranteed to solve the crash there

Major bug fixes
   (*)fixed problem causing dwarves to not sleep in any bed
   (*)fixed problem causing dwarves not to respect ownership in sleeping priorities
   (*)made cursor center on buildings properly when linking them up to a lever etc.
   (*)stopped other civilizations from bringing liaisons
   (*)stopped building destroyer diplomats/traders from destroying things
   (*)made units check the validity of targets more often (counters certain interrupt spam)

Other bug fixes/tweaks
   (*)fixed broken vial making jobs
   (*)make rock short swords use the proper material for the final product
   (*)made horn silver use the stone template
   (*)moved all native metals off of metal template
   (*)stopped season counter from resetting to spring after travel in adventure mode
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.13 Released
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 08:49:05 am »

This is quite cool. Gratz on the good work. Faster DF's are always fun.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 08:50:08 am »

Finally! An update! The best present for my birthday :) (yep, it's today)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 08:53:10 am »

He he he, I hope it's not a train wreck then.  It feels unavoidable though.  Between all the different things going on, there were many moving pieces this time.

LizardKing

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXP:0]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 09:06:01 am »

(*)fixed problem causing dwarves not to respect ownership in sleeping priorities

Oh good, I was always worried a dwarf was going to get all angry after discovering Goldilocks in his bed.

Altaree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 09:11:35 am »

It is an odd numbered release....
.14 in a couple of days? :)
Dan Pearson:
This is a game which calculates the volume of blood in every creature it generates so it knows how much alcohol it would have to consume to get drunk, an update which, remarkably, ended up covering people's fortresses in cat vomit.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 09:15:04 am »

It is an odd numbered release....
.14 in a couple of days? :)
Paranoia! It'll work fine.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 09:16:07 am »

Maybe the Mac Mini will be done compiling GCC by then.  It is a hard little worker.

LilGunmanX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 09:16:55 am »

Ahhh! Just when I had a fortress I sort of liked, too!

Is there some way to update older games with the awesome new version? Like, could I take a fortress I already have and update my game so that said fortress will get all of these bugfixes/updates and I can still play the fortress but now with the new stuff?

Or am I going to have to restart? Either way, I guess it's not the end of the world, but I was finally going to submerge my solid-gold subterranean pyramid complex in water, and I'd prefer to not have to redo all of that ;)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2010, 09:18:58 am »

You should be able to copy the region folder in data/save from one version to another just fine this time.  It worked out for a 0.31.03 and 0.31.11 for me, but I didn't test them for long.  Issues are possible, as usual, and adventure mode is kinda trashed for this version because of the village changes.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 09:20:43 am by Toady One »

LilGunmanX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2010, 09:21:14 am »

Much appreciated, Toady 8)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2010, 09:22:17 am »

Oh, and the version you download won't even have a save folder, so you might as well move the whole data/save (or make a new data/save and move the region you want).

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2010, 09:23:21 am »

Thank you Toady. The bed bug is one that I've been waiting awhile for a fix on.

I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2010, 09:23:32 am »

\o/ Most Excellent™

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2010, 09:25:14 am »

Any recommendation for what kind of bug we should look especially? Also is WG compatible with the older versions? I mean will the same seed/variable combination i used in a older version create the same world just with the upgraded content?
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22