Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Rimslaughters: Fifteen Ways To Die  (Read 20025 times)

jfsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Rimslaughters: Fifteen Ways To Die
« on: September 15, 2010, 11:37:25 pm »

Edit: See page 2 for info on my new project.

Welcome to Rimslaughters!

Rimslaughters is a huge above- and below-ground megafortress, constructed over the course of 17 dwarven years.  It isn't "finished," but it's close enough that I want to brag. ;)  The fort center is 74x74, and the geometric cross design is repeated faithfully up and down approximately 20 z-levels.  My goal was to use the power of bridges to kill anything that might attack.  As armies enter the fort, they spiral around the exterior through a variety of traps, each of which can be isolated for cleaning or repair.  By abusing bridges, I think that everything is building destroyer-proof.

Let's start with the upper fort's footprint.  As you can see, it takes up most of the map:
Game map
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Overseer
Stonesense (huge version)

The outer walls are cast obsidian, extending 6 stories up from the moat level.  The larger, inner walls are made of rock salt, which made up the stone I hacked the lower fort from.  I actually had plans to build a giant axe suspended over the fort, but it turned out I only had 3 more z-levels to play with, so this was the best I could come up with (after about 4 different designs looked idiotic). 

The roof is composed of approximately 3000 clear glass blocks, along with rock salt, obsidian and green glass "trim."  If anyone can come up with a good logo for Rimslaughters to put in the middle, I'll put it in.  The inner square is 30 x 30.
The roof:
DF
SS

As you travel down in z-levels, you encounter the outer walls, which are smoothed but unornamented on top, save for some curious looking drawbridges.  They enable what I like to call "lockdown mode."
Open:
Closed:
Handy for fliers!

Of course, at this point, you're probably wondering what that giant sphere (I know it's blocky, use your imagination) is doing dangling from a tiny wooden post.  Let's take a closer look.
Stonesense:
Overseer:
Well, that fellow is called the Army Crusher, and it is the First Way To Die.  It it made of steel, adamantium, and gold, with an inner core of stone, and a flick of a switch drops it.  Visitors to Rimslaughters pass directly underneath the adamantium "tip."  Needless to say, this is a one-shot weapon.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are three entrances to the fortress.  Let's deal with the two back doors first.

The first is rather plain.  A simple obsidian entryway extending across the moat, sealed with a steel bridge. 
Stonesense
I like to think of sealing bridges as gates or secret doors, which thanks to dwarven engineering are impregnable when closed.  This gate opens to reveal a row of extremely lethal traps, as you can see here:
  A special drawbridge opens to simultaneously display the bait, a puppy (sorry little guy!) chained underneath the stone, while sealing entrance into the fort.  This makes the back door a quick and effective way to kill non-trap-avoid baddies, and the Second Way To Die.

The other back door is particularly clever, I think, although it could use a little bit of polish.  A row of clear glass bridges sits underneath the moat, ready to spring open at the pull of a lever.  When pulled, the bridges form a seal around a 3-wide entrance to the fort.  (I thought that they would also hurl the water into the air, but that is rectified by pulling it multiple times, smashing the water underneath.)  The following screenshots don't quite do it justice, but it's cool when it works.
Closed:
Open:
Since this map does freeze, directly underneath this section of the moat is a long series of bridges which can be filled with magma. 
When full, the ice above them melts.  When the bridges are retracted, the magma falls back down, and the little bit of water left in the entrance turns to ice... turning anything inside into a popsicle.  This is the Third Way To Die.

OK, back to the main entrance.  As you approach, dwarven marksmen have free range to track and fire across the entire third and fifth floors of the outer walls.  Steel bolts hit hard!  Pincushions everywhere know that this is the Fourth Way To Die.

Moving across the adamantine bridge presents one of the great engineering feats of Rimslaughters: the a-maze-ing (ahem) entryway.  A crude axe drawn in the ground warns of what is to come.
Depending on which levers are pulled, invaders can have a straight shot into the fort, or can be forced along one of four different paths, allowing different traps to be "in play."  The final path leads directly to the barracks.  They have been practicing for a while.
And their equipment isn't too bad.
Astesh does not like to be bothered.  This is the Fifth Way To Die.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The longest pathway leads down, directly underneath the barracks, circling around the outside of the inner fort.  An invader walks over 33 iron bridges, as you can see from this picture (my apologies for the size of these screenshots):
A flick of a switch, and the Dwarven Catapult is fired.  Each bridge flings up and back, leaving a gaping space for creatures to fall through.  I've seen rocks as high as 10 z-levels after a launch.  This is the Sixth Way To Die.
Note: some dwarves were harmed in the making of this screenshot.

An army which is allowed to pass through the Catapult reaches a curious little section, visible from the previous screenshots:
Did I mention that I had a lot of steel?  Each of these spikes is hooked up to a 300-step repeater, making it a very good source of goblin juice.  The Juicer is the Seventh Way To Die.  For your reference, blue ramps represent the "main" pathway, so the blue down ramps there is where enemies will path.  The other ramps there go to the entryway - if you can follow it, they allow me to skip the Catapult, or send an army through a humongous number of cage traps.

Moving down to z-1, and bypassing some more weapon traps, we come to the Catwalk.  A series of steel bridges is layered across the 7-wide walkway, like so:
Easy breezy, right?  Well, flick the switch, and things look decidedly more lethal.
I mentioned the magma moat before, and here it is.  If you don't fall off when the bridges retract, the stone-fall traps and weapon traps will get you on the dodge.  This is the Eighth Way To Die.

Look to the upper-left corner, and you can see two ballistae nestled amongst the levers.  This is the Dwarven Control Room, and it spans 12 z-levels of lever after lever.  During times of war, three dwarves are locked inside, with nothing to do but pull the levers that generate the Fun.  Oh right, they have one more thing to do: fire steel ballista arrows at any army coming around the bend.  That is the Ninth Way To Die.

The path branches again after the Catwalk is cleared.
Follow the green arrow, and you will climb up the stairs until you reach a series of bridges, crossing back and forth underneath themselves.  A lever retracts the bridges, and you will fall, fall, fall, fall, fall... either 47 levels to the Splatterer (a retractable blood thorn bridge), or 63 levels to the water below.  This is the Tenth Way To Die.

Follow the red arrow, and you descend to the Drowning Chamber.
The Chamber:
The level above:
Unlucky goblins enter a short walkway with steel bridges above.  The dwarves in the Control Room have their choice: do we feel like drowning or immolating in magma?  Some contestants may get the "sampler package," which comes with a side of obsidian.  This is the Eleventh Way To Die.

Now, an invading army might squeak through all of that, but a titan might simply ignore it.  Never fear, we have a special room just for them: the Dropper, and the Twelfth Way To Die.
z:
z+1:
This is a pretty straightforward trap, with the fun benefit that building destroyers can commit suicide by simply breaking a support.  For smarter prey, the dwarves in the Control Room can punch out any support.  This is another one-time weapon, although there are 6 different cave-in areas, and another z-level above if necessary.

Bypassing the Dropper, we come to one of my favorites, the Squishee Machine.  A series of silver bridges linked to a repeater, some say that those affected are hit so hard it's like they disappear from the world.  Whether or not that is true, there is something devilishly enjoyable about such a simple but effective trap.  I hope you like the Thirteenth Way To Die.
Up:
Down:

I'm getting tired of screenshots, so this tour is almost complete for now.  But first I would like to show you my favorite method, with the giant caveat that I'm pretty sure it can't kill anyone: Kaboom, the Fourteenth Way To Die.  Caravans and armies are routed through this curious chamber full of old, disused booze.
Several stories above, a carefully designed trap waits to unleash 4 7/7 squares of magma.  Not enough to kill an army, of course, but certainly enough to set some of those wooden barrels on fire... along with the HIGHLY FLAMMABLE alcohol inside.  That's why we call it "Kaboom."

Now there's a lot more to see in Rimslaughters - for example, the entire outdoor passageway can be flooded with magma.  There is a sealed underground grotto with an overkill bridge/floodgate/bridge intake system.  The cemetery hangs over a huge pit.  See all this and more at the DFMA!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 08:06:00 pm by jfsh »

jfsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rimslaughters: Fifteen Ways To Die (image heavy)
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 11:37:47 pm »

Special thanks to the makers of great programs like Stonesense and Overseer, DFHack, and the amazing Quickfort, which made all of this possible.  I'd also like to thank the people who made the amazing forts which inspired (and far surpass) this one, particularly Undergrotto and Flarechannels.

Here's the save if you want to play with it.  Some goblin bowmen just came by if you want to show them a good time. ;)

Edit: Now available on the DFMA.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's the original intro and epilogue if you're interested.

Intro

Epilogue

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reserved for errata and battle reports:

The Bore begins, and some stock screens.

Rimslaughter's first siege.

Some human traders come to visit. 
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 08:09:04 pm by jfsh »

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 11:55:11 pm »

:D
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 11:55:30 pm »

I think it's safe to say you'll never, ever lose that fort to anything short of a Titan invasion-siege-kobold ambush-wild animal attack-dwarven stupidity combination. No, scratch that, you're never going to lose that fort. Ever.

But one thing; there's only fourteen ways to die, not fifteen. Where's the fifteenth way to die?
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

jfsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 11:59:42 pm »

I think it's safe to say you'll never, ever lose that fort to anything short of a Titan invasion-siege-kobold ambush-wild animal attack-dwarven stupidity combination. No, scratch that, you're never going to lose that fort. Ever.

But one thing; there's only fourteen ways to die, not fifteen. Where's the fifteenth way to die?

The epilogue gives a hint.  You will have to wait for the final battle report to find out more.

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 01:23:27 am »

WOW.  Really.  Most awesome fort I have ever seen.  Beats all the other grand forts I have seen (like undergrotto) purely by engineering alone.  Brilliant.

Is the 15th a reverse path to the clowns at the end of the maze-o-death?
"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."

Zebra2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 02:04:00 am »

Pretty sweet, especially like the glass roof. Do you rebuild the sphere every time it is dropped? How many times has it been used?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 07:36:38 am »

#15: you breached HFS.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 07:43:03 am »

What is your typical FPS? Whenever I try to manipulate rock, steel, fluids and magma on a scale like yours, my comp gives up the ghost.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Tommy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 08:03:50 am »

I love it.  It's every glorious way to kill things, plus a few ways to just maim them.  Truly inspiring.
HAHAHA YES MY EXPIDITION LEADER IS PARTYING WITH GHOSTS THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER
Dwarf Fortress in a nutshell. It includes dead things, parties, and getting really excited over updates.

jfsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 09:46:16 am »

Glad you guys liked it.  I had a lot of fun thinking up ideas instead of working.  There are a lot of little traps tucked away that I didn't write up - like the water and magma cannons above the main entrance, or the fact that the entire Catapult level can be flooded with magma, then opened, to drop magma on bad guys below.

I had a few more ideas that I didn't get to put into practice.  The elves died off in worldgen, so no dangerous animals for me.  :(  War dog breeding is coming along slowly, though.  I also had a friendly cave swallow-woman who was going to be the sixteenth way, but she lost her torso at some point when I wasn't looking.

Pretty sweet, especially like the glass roof. Do you rebuild the sphere every time it is dropped? How many times has it been used?

Still waiting for the perfect moment.  Invaders were turned back on only recently.

(I know it's lame, but I don't think it would have been possible otherwise).

What is your typical FPS? Whenever I try to manipulate rock, steel, fluids and magma on a scale like yours, my comp gives up the ghost.

I get about 19 FPS right now with my reactor turned on, which is pretty tolerable.  I try to be careful about filling things completely, and the fort is also extremely optimized for pathing.  When I'm moving fluids around, it tends to drop like a stone - particularly water, because I draw from the bottom of a lake, so all the water above teleports directly to its destination in an FPS-crushing wave.  It's fast!  But it hurts.

Not sure what it would be with temperature turned on, since that just basically freezes the game.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2010, 10:02:00 am »

Do you have any art objects on hand (engravings, decorations, etc)? Find out what your civ's symbol is and decorate your roof with that.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2010, 10:10:52 am »

There...

There are no words.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2010, 10:15:25 am »

Wow.
When I opened this thread, I thought to find hilarious memoirs of killing one's first 15 dwarves. But this...
It's simply epic.

jfsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2010, 12:45:15 pm »

Do you have any art objects on hand (engravings, decorations, etc)? Find out what your civ's symbol is and decorate your roof with that.

The 4th level of the obsidian outer wall is actually fully engraved, so I can answer this question.  It's the ultimate symbol of death and destruction... a quarry bush.  The more local government is a cedar.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4