Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: It's like we rented out the fort to the crew of Saw V  (Read 2032 times)

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
It's like we rented out the fort to the crew of Saw V
« on: September 17, 2010, 01:18:37 am »

There is SO MUCH BLOOD on the floors... from ONE dead guy, who died months ago, but tactfully bled all over the ground before they got around to burying him.

Is there any way to get the little fuckers (dwarves) to clean? Or is this just buggy, and your best bet is to pray?
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: It's like we rented out the fort to the crew of Saw V
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 01:29:07 am »

"Who would have thought the old dwarf would have so much blood in him?"
-Lady Urist MacBeth
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 01:33:39 am »

I know! Given how much they drink, I'd not be surprised if they were tracking dwarven rum all through the fortress...
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 03:46:36 am »

I think it's because one pool can turn into like 5 smears, and each smear can become 5 spatters or something.  I don't really know, but I do know that when tracked around, blood contamination grows and grows and grows.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Absentia

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 09:30:41 am »

• If the blood is below ground, your dwarfs may get around to cleaning it eventually. Cleaning is very low priority, so you may need to disable other labors depending on how many idlers you have.
  • If it's above ground, rain will clear any tile it touches.
  • In either case you can construct/deconstruct floors or roads to get rid of the blood on those tiles, although the dwarf building the floor will probably track more blood as he's building them.
  • Magma removes blood. Water spreads it around (and adds mud to the list of splatters).
  • The easiest way to get rid of blood is to run the DFCleanmap program from DFHack (if you're running .13 you'll need to wait for the new version of DFHack).

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 12:06:25 pm »

• If the blood is below ground, your dwarfs may get around to cleaning it eventually. Cleaning is very low priority, so you may need to disable other labors depending on how many idlers you have.
Cleaning is actually higher than idling on the priority list, however, a dwarf will only queue up a clean job for a location very near to where the dwarf is. As a result, areas near your meeting halls tend to get cleaned fairly fast, but areas far away from meeting halls will never be cleaned.

BaronBalloon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 01:24:16 pm »

does water still replicate blood?
Are the fortresses there for psychological reasons?  Are they trying to hold back entropy itself, rather than the goblin hordes?

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 05:33:31 pm »

Cleaning is actually higher than idling on the priority list, however, a dwarf will only queue up a clean job for a location very near to where the dwarf is. As a result, areas near your meeting halls tend to get cleaned fairly fast, but areas far away from meeting halls will never be cleaned.

Which is why I create burrows on the areas I want cleaned, and assinged some layabout dwarves to it. They will then clean the floors. But NOT the walls. Walls ADJACENT to the floor tile they are cleaning will be cleaned. So you eventually end up with clean floors and walls with the occasional bit of blood on them for coloring--- but it doesn't spread from there, so it doesn't matter there other than to tease you about not being able to do anything about it (unless you want to engrave it or something).
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 06:04:12 pm »

"Very near" means "X and Y distances are small, but Z distance is totally ignored", right?  Same as when the dwarves try to find a nearby stone to take to the mason's workshop, and end up taking one that's 17 levels straight down?  Because I've seen dwarves mysteriously decide they really, really need to clean up one of the squares of blood in the Forgotten Beast trap down in the cavern, when they were nowhere near the cavern in the first place....
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 06:07:05 pm »

Greycat, yes. Dwarves don't care what z level something is on. So they'll go up 25 z levels to get something "right over their head".
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2010, 06:53:00 pm »

Greycat, yes. Dwarves don't care what z level something is on. So they'll go up 25 z levels to get something "right over their head".

Ha! Because Dwarves are short!

Man, that never gets old, does it?