Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 43

Author Topic: Civilization V  (Read 70629 times)

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
Civilization V
« on: September 17, 2010, 02:49:50 am »

4 days!
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Civilization V
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 02:56:06 am »

4 days!

7 for me :( damn EU release date.

A chunk of us where I work have it pre-loaded ready and waiting for an day 1 multiplayer where none of us have a clue what we are doing :)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 04:07:18 am »

4 days!

Add a month to that and you the Israeli release date.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 04:26:49 am »

Oh yes, this is exactly what I need.  It's not like Stalker and Blood Bowl aren't dominating enough of my time.  Oh fuck no, what I need, need in my soul, is to feel that tried and true Sid Meier crack flowing through my veins again.

I've lost combined weeks of my life to every Civilization title, and most of it's similar forays.  I'll be on this game like stink on a monkey, and it'll be the monkey on my back.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 04:37:53 am »

I was pleasantly surprised by the live broadcast of Civ V. Sure, it's simplified and needs a lot of stuff added, but it's still Civilization, and it has some new nice interface and gameplay additions. So with expansion packs I think I'm gonna love it.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 04:41:45 am »

I'll be buying this.

Anyone know if they'll have it on Impulse?

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 06:45:36 am »

I'm going to give this a try as it seems to be a bit different to the previous games which never played more than once.
Which is curious because iI ove Alpha Centauri and it's basically the same game.

mipe9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 07:13:40 am »

4 days!

Add a month to that and you the Israeli release date.

Add a year to that and you get the Finnish release date. We live in the middle of nowhere :(

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 07:14:02 am »

I'm going to give this a try as it seems to be a bit different to the previous games which never played more than once.
Which is curious because iI ove Alpha Centauri and it's basically the same game.
Alpha Centauri was fantastic. So much better than the previous Civs. I really liked Civ 4 as well.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 01:50:13 pm »

Oddly, I think I got the most playtime out of Civ 3 over any of the others. Mostly because I modded it heavily, with a whole magic tech branch added on and tons of units that I got off of the Civ Fanatics forum. Great fun, although I never did finish all of the stuff I was going to mod into that.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2010, 02:34:02 pm »

Anyone confirm that day 1 multiplayer will work? Will we be able to play over LAN? I am seriously considering taking Tuesday off to play, but I've had mixed results with Day 1 excitement.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2010, 02:43:58 pm »

Anyone confirm that day 1 multiplayer will work? Will we be able to play over LAN? I am seriously considering taking Tuesday off to play, but I've had mixed results with Day 1 excitement.

According to the review I just read, multiplayer is available out-of-the-box, but is limited to simultaneous turns, and you can't save. Haven't read anything about LAN play recently, but a quick Google search reveals that you'll still have to use Steamworks. This'll mean that you'll need everybody playing to own a copy of the game. Nobody's giving a clear answer as to whether it'll be LAN play using Steamworks, or if you'll be forced to connect online.   :-\

I'm tempted to buy this, but I think I'd rather wait a bit. I've never really played Civ games online, and the single-player game will be just as good (if not better, yay patches!) once it's half-price on Steam.  ;D

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2010, 03:08:20 pm »

This'll mean that you'll need everybody playing to own a copy of the game. Nobody's giving a clear answer as to whether it'll be LAN play using Steamworks, or if you'll be forced to connect online.   :-\
I don't understand why this is a problem, unless you live in a location without some kind of internet service?

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2010, 03:45:41 pm »

Maybe he wants to have a game on the computers in his home without having to purchase additional copies?

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2010, 03:54:15 pm »

For me it is much more of an issuse of the stability of those servers. I don't mind buying games, particularly consistantly good ones like Civ.

I'd like to have a day 1 battle against my friends, but if the game servers are all fucked up I basically wasted a day off of work.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 43