Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 43

Author Topic: Civilization V  (Read 71398 times)

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
Re: Civilization V
« Reply #240 on: September 27, 2010, 03:15:41 pm »

My favorite is still Alpha Centauri.

This.  I'd always wipe out Lal first too cause he was a power hungry dickhead.

I'm liking V so far though.  Takes a bit of getting used to, but I like the changes so far.
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: September 27, 2010, 03:17:13 pm »

I just remembered, didn't somebody earlier suggest to bribe 5 city states of the kind that gives you food? I am doing that, and the bonus is great! +25 on the capital and +15 on all other cities. population growth is fast.
Even better, I can actually pay for it and still have gold to spare for other uses. I'll have big troubles when costs start increasing however. But nothing that founding 3-4 more cities can't fix.
city states are great! or, at least, they give you good bonus. I am not sure if I like them or not.

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: September 27, 2010, 03:20:31 pm »

I just remembered, didn't somebody earlier suggest to bribe 5 city states of the kind that gives you food? I am doing that, and the bonus is great! +25 on the capital and +15 on all other cities. population growth is fast.
Even better, I can actually pay for it and still have gold to spare for other uses. I'll have big troubles when costs start increasing however. But nothing that founding 3-4 more cities can't fix.
city states are great! or, at least, they give you good bonus. I am not sure if I like them or not.

I too have found this to be a very viable strategy.  Bribing maritimes gets you a ton of food and money.
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: September 27, 2010, 03:24:11 pm »

It's 15% per city, not 30.
A Good City state strategy is to go for Stonehenge & Great library first.
So research Pottery, Calendar & Writing and then use the free tech for Philosophy.
Starting off with building a scout in 5 turns to find ruins & the states followed by a worker and a monument, switching to wonders as soon the research is done.
Don't get any policies before reaching Medieval age, then you get Patronage and the first two policies.

Yeah. Somehow it is even though i never played more than one long game in the other Civ games and combat sucks. There's just something special with SMAC.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: September 27, 2010, 04:05:31 pm »

Ah yes, pre-expansion SMAC was indeed the best Civ game.  And I usually played AS Lal, or maybe Miriam.  It was great, wonderful fun manipulating all the other human players.  Also, it seems like Miriam is the only leader who gets MORE sane as the game progresses.  Will we next create false gods to rule over us?  How proud we have become, and how blind.

For some reason I never liked the expansion.  The aliens were weird, out of place and got in the way, the pirates were annoying as hell due to the water territory mechanics, the other factions' bonuses were either bugged (Data Angels), not useful (weird fungus kid), or totally broken (Cybernetic Consciousness, Free Drones) and the new techs and wonders added exactly nothing to the game--whee, resonance stuff, more artificial complexity around the time you have your 3-defense units.  Get over the mindwormphobia already and either start attacking more, terraform less, or suck up your morale penalty and deal with it.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: September 27, 2010, 04:42:42 pm »

Alpha Centari was not a civ game damnit. Otherwise I would have picked it. I think it was so much fun because by the end of the game everything had changed. The land looked different, no one got pissed if you commited attrocities. Nukes would leave giant craters! Everything was different, all the rules changed as the game went on.

It also had the best quotes and decent videos.

One of the last times I played the game, I had the goal to completely eliminate every other play in one turn. I did it with Planet busters. I miss counted by one and had to orbital drop military there to take it out and meet my goal. In the play back all the land showed up as it was at the end, meaning entire land masses were gone :(.

I also love MOO2, but that is a whole different topic derailing conversation. Next serious game I'll try the city state route. Right now I am achievement farming on the settler difficulty. I am trying to build every single wonder in the game.

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: September 27, 2010, 05:29:00 pm »

My favorite would have to be Civ II if only because of the advisers.

My most played, however, was definitely CivNet. So many memories...
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: September 27, 2010, 05:32:14 pm »

I actually got around to playing this last night.

It's so good.

A bit confusing in the exhausted state I was in, though (I had spent the rest of the day working on assignments). I'll play again tonight (maybe, I will have been on Campus for 12 hours before I get the chance), and keep going. Didn't even cap AD 1.

I'm playing as Napoleon on Warlord, because I heard on here that the French are imba, and I figured it would be easier.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Svampapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: September 27, 2010, 07:59:32 pm »

I'm liking V so far though.  Takes a bit of getting used to, but I like the changes so far.

Playing as Morgan by any chance? :) Don't know how many times I embarked as Morgan, landing on the crashsite with Lal just next door on the thin strip of land stretching east. No room to expand for him there so out come the fisticuffs!

V reminds me a LOT of civ I. Combat is sorta fun now though, as opposed to IV's endless stacks. Missing some of the other bits that late game IV had though.

Going back to dreaming of SMAC II with V's combat now. Mmhmm.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: September 27, 2010, 08:35:05 pm »

I just got Alpha Centauri recently, mostly 'cause I can't run anything much more spec-hungry than it, and it's great fun. I always tend to kill Miriam or Santiago first, and I always get a pact with Deirdre that lasts until the end.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Thendash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: September 27, 2010, 09:57:24 pm »

I've been a civ fan for quite a while now(and in general I'm a huge strategy game fan), and when I heard civ V was going to only allow 1 unit per hex I was quite apprehensive, but now that I've played a few games of civ V I think I like this way much better then the endless stacks of units. The only downside of it is that everything seems a bit smaller scale to me now, which isn't really that bad but just kind of weird given you're supposed to be running an entire civilization.
Thendash's Livestream

This game could honestly give out hand jobs for free and people would still bitch.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #251 on: September 27, 2010, 10:14:31 pm »

Well, the scale in a game like this can never really be realistic. When you have turns leaping multiple years, you have to ask "Why did it take my warrior 8 years to travel a few hexes?" etc.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: September 28, 2010, 12:20:59 am »

Well, the scale in a game like this can never really be realistic. When you have turns leaping multiple years, you have to ask "Why did it take my warrior 8 years to travel a few hexes?" etc.

Everybody in your distant scouting party is DEAD before they return.

Also a couple generations of people, they come back.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: September 28, 2010, 01:46:07 am »

They just breed like rabbits :P.

And I've decided not to buy it on Steam yet. I just pirated it and play it, and it's nice but not awesome, I don't see anything which makes it much better than Civ IV (but it's definitely different).

I can't play without a mod which "fixes" game speed though, otherwise units become obsolete while you build them hehe.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: September 28, 2010, 05:03:49 am »

They just breed like rabbits :P.

And I've decided not to buy it on Steam yet. I just pirated it and play it, and it's nice but not awesome, I don't see anything which makes it much better than Civ IV (but it's definitely different).

I can't play without a mod which "fixes" game speed though, otherwise units become obsolete while you build them hehe.

Don't you mean, Civ 5 pirated you?

yes that was a soviet russia joke
!!&!!
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 43