Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 43

Author Topic: Civilization V  (Read 71300 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Civilization V
« Reply #390 on: September 11, 2011, 03:59:32 pm »

Yeah, I love the lack of stacking solely because of the misery of AI stacks in Civ III.

Also, Attack Helicopters with upgrades: Overpowered or simply awesome? I find myself getting by very well with armies consisting of AHs, rocket arty and nukes. Once you get a few movement and health recovery ups on the helis, you can dart in, attack, and then retreat back over a mountain range to heal. Over and over again.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: September 11, 2011, 04:17:34 pm »

Has anyone here tried Civ V NiGHTS? It sounds pretty awesome. Unfortunately I am on a Mac which means I can't even fricking use mods yet.

Why, in a competitive game, would you play as Greece?

Hugs time with all the city-states and they give you whatever you need basically. Greece is boring (diplo wins are super dull in Civ 5) but very strong in my experience.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: September 11, 2011, 05:45:57 pm »

I found civ V to be rather boring in comparison to IV, I think it is mostly the huge penalties for conquering other civs.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: September 11, 2011, 07:01:50 pm »

I found civ V to be rather boring in comparison to IV, I think it is mostly the huge penalties for conquering other civs.

Research Mathematics.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #394 on: September 11, 2011, 07:26:24 pm »

-
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 02:12:11 pm by Stany »

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: September 12, 2011, 02:35:17 am »

Except your 500 gold.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: September 12, 2011, 03:41:18 am »

Just picked this up today, so this might be shortsighted, but the happiness penalty for annexing really doesn't seem to be a big deal. I annexed two cities around the same time and only ended up at -2 happiness, and since that ended the war I had the opportunity to build some happiness buildings and courthouses.

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: September 12, 2011, 04:02:24 am »

Oh, and as far as Civ 5 vs. 4. I don't actually mind the new systems in 5. I think they're pretty decent. Civ 5 feels like a smaller game though, with its fewer units and archers shooting over swordsmen and NPCs, I mean city-states, that you do quests for. It'd be awesome to mod it as a much smaller-scale game, for that reason – Civ 5 seems like a better fit for imaginary hundreds of people doing stuff instead of imaginary thousands/millions.

The main problem with Civ 5 is that its endgames are the worst/slowest of any version of Civilization to date.

This was brought home for me about an hour ago, taking a Civ 4 BTS game to its final stages. Playing Japan, cruising to either a space or cultural win (dunno which will come first, kind of backed into the cultural trajectory with a couple of corporations), not really worried about anybody. On another continent, Gilgamesh DOWs Mansa, Mansa turns out to have been beelining Industrialism, punks Gilgamesh's riflemen with a stack of tanks (when does the AI ever use tanks?!), vassalizes both Sumer and its colony, Babylon, then starts to go completely apeshit on the really backward countries. He yells at one of them and gets a third vassal, then DOWs Genghis who is halfway around the world from him, and I realize, frickin' Mansa Musa is going for domination. With tanks. I buy peace from Mansa for Mass Media and Fascism, but see, now I have to deal with that, and I've never seen Civ 5's situations develop anywhere near as surprisingly.

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: September 12, 2011, 04:40:20 am »

I've found that every alternate release in the Civ series was what the previous game could and should have been - so Civ II was what the original Civ should have been, and Civ IV was what Civ III should have been.

Waiting hopefully for Civ VI...

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: September 12, 2011, 05:39:06 am »

In terms of the Civ 4 v. Civ 5 debate, I have but one thing to point out.

Civ 5
Civ 4

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: September 12, 2011, 05:49:32 am »

In terms of the Civ 4 v. Civ 5 debate, I have but one thing to point out.

Civ 5
Civ 4

Ahh yes, two websites! genius!

What exactly am I looking at?

Hiiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: September 12, 2011, 05:58:17 am »

Ahh yes, two websites! genius!

What exactly am I looking at?

The amount of mods, I reckon.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: September 12, 2011, 06:30:02 am »

Really? because that would seem an unreasonable comparison considering how much longer Civ 4 has been around.

Personally I like most of Civ 5 changes other than the lack of diplomacy options and the almost non-existence city building side of it, but then vanilla Civ 4 before the three huge expansions was missing a lot as well so we will see.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: September 12, 2011, 10:38:02 am »

Really? because that would seem an unreasonable comparison considering how much longer Civ 4 has been around.

Civ 5 has been out for a year. I would have expected at least a dozen mods by now.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: September 12, 2011, 10:40:53 am »

Civ 5 has been out for a year. I would have expected at least a dozen mods by now.

There are absolutely loads of mods available for download within the ingame mod browser.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 10:56:44 am by lordcooper »
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 43