Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 43

Author Topic: Civilization V  (Read 71104 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: Civilization V
« Reply #435 on: September 03, 2012, 12:44:29 pm »

I know I did it in civ4 - but is was a lot of fun having actual armies and not two grunts over a pothole.

it is not really strategic to have not to maneuver units. also, it gives time to your unit not to be obsolete when they reach the enemy.

I wanted to try it out on V too

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: September 25, 2012, 06:41:45 am »

So I got back into playing Civ. Currently playing on a Gaint map of Great Britian as Greece, and I started around East England.

Two things have defined my game experience so far:
1. I accidentally made 41 city states, resulting in me meeting one every five seconds.
2. I have been smashing my head against Arabia's one city, located right where London should be. I need to get rid of them in order to expand, but I'll be damned if their like 3 archers didn't rape my Hoplites repeatedly. I have lost two great generals and too many units to count so far ;_;
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: September 25, 2012, 08:33:11 am »

The AI have an annoying habit of getting free insta-heals each turn (especially on the higher levels) so make sure you kill off units rather than half damaging many. Especially ranged ones.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: September 25, 2012, 10:21:06 am »

The AI have an annoying habit of getting free insta-heals each turn (especially on the higher levels) so make sure you kill off units rather than half damaging many. Especially ranged ones.

Oddly enough I developed a bad habit in strategy games from playing board games against PCs where I calculate my strength in accordance to the computers.

But the issue is that I keep forgetting the computer cheats and that often leads to me loss.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: September 25, 2012, 12:32:18 pm »

Oddly enough I developed a bad habit in strategy games from playing board games against PCs where I calculate my strength in accordance to the computers.

But the issue is that I keep forgetting the computer cheats and that often leads to me loss.

I saw a mod on steam workshop which claims to fix that, although I don't know what effect it has on the overall game. Mostly because AI cheat because their too stupid for their own good.

I heard Gods and Kings fixed the supposedly schizophrenic AI of the base game, which is the main reason I started playing Civ5 again.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: September 25, 2012, 01:35:41 pm »

Insta heal isn't a cheat, it's using up promotions. You can do it too.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: September 25, 2012, 02:07:55 pm »

Do you think were stupid? Everyone here has played Civ5 and knows about that. The problem is that the AI is capable of healing every single turn.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: September 25, 2012, 02:17:08 pm »

Do you think were stupid? Everyone here has played Civ5 and knows about that. The problem is that the AI is capable of healing every single turn.

Hmm, never noticed that, though I tend to play on Prince. And no, I don't think you're all stupid, but it's rather easy to overlook things or miss things minor like that. To err is human and all that jazz.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: September 25, 2012, 02:19:50 pm »

I think its pretty hard to NOT notice something like that, thank you.

And the AI healing its units also happens on Prince Difficulty, so I don't know what you are talking about either. I have literally seen it occurring, so don't tell me that I must be mistaken.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: September 25, 2012, 02:25:00 pm »

I think its pretty hard to NOT notice something like that, thank you.

And the AI healing its units also happens on Prince Difficulty, so I don't know what you are talking about either. I have literally seen it occurring, so don't tell me that I must be mistaken.

I wasn't, I said I'd never observed it. I mean, I've seen it happen a bit on prince, but usually after enough combat that they must have gained a level, hence the comment I made earlier. If they do it more frequently on higher difficulties I wouldn't know.
Not sure what I did to offend you, but I was just offering my personal observations and a suggestion I thought might explain the situation.

EDIT:
I've played prince, and not seen it happen.

only when I lose several units to an enemy unit, do I notice it, and I took that as them using a promotion.

Ah, missed this post. That's exactly how I saw it too.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: September 25, 2012, 02:31:45 pm »

Ah, and on a completly different topic. I didn't see it mentioned here so I figured I'd mention that there's a big fall patch coming, with 'fall' being the only ETA. A lot of balance tweaks and fixes, particularly in the diplomacy area. Patch notes here:
http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread.php?137896-Official-Civilization-quot-Fall-Patch-quot-patch-notes!

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: September 25, 2012, 06:04:31 pm »

Da fuq? I ran out of money in my game, the Byzzies+Amercia were broke and England was far too greedy to give me a cent, and Arabia (My Long time enemy) was looking weak and ally-less. So I thought "Hey, lets attack Arabia to fill my coffers again! That won't go horribly wrong, right?"

FUCKING. WRONG.

The second I invade, everyone (Including my long time friends) instantly denounce me like I have comitted some sort of unspeakable treason. Two of them even go as far as two just straight out declare war on me. If Arabia had been someone with well made alliances and my former friend, then I would understand. But for all I knew, no one liked (Or disliked, for the matter)) Arabia and we had been clear enemies. Can someone explain to me what just happened?

Edit: Actually no. I save-scummed, and as it turned out it was because I declared war on a single city state. So now apparently capturing a single meaningless City state which has absolutely no friends or military makes you a horrible and evil warmonger who must be punished twelve-fold.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 06:36:27 pm by Johnfalcon99977 »

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: September 26, 2012, 03:11:17 am »

I've played prince, and not seen it happen.

only when I lose several units to an enemy unit, do I notice it, and I took that as them using a promotion.

I don't know how often it happens on prince, I do remember I used to assume it was just a silly choice of promotion. However if you try emperor or deity you'll quickly see them doing it every turn (or at least every other turn) and you'll have to change tactics to overkill units rather than just weaken. It does make up a little for the fact the AI is god awful at manouvering units, but to be honest I'd rather they cheated and built two units for every one or something instead, the insta-heal makes it very hard to strategise.

The only other real change with higher levels are they get a bonus to research and gold income and start with extra units and tech.

Da fuq? I ran out of money in my game, the Byzzies+Amercia were broke and England was far too greedy to give me a cent, and Arabia (My Long time enemy) was looking weak and ally-less. So I thought "Hey, lets attack Arabia to fill my coffers again! That won't go horribly wrong, right?"

I always run out of money, especially early on. For some reason my balance of cash to units is always appalling, one day I really have to sit down with someone who is good at this game.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #448 on: September 26, 2012, 05:54:39 am »

Edit: Actually no. I save-scummed, and as it turned out it was because I declared war on a single city state. So now apparently capturing a single meaningless City state which has absolutely no friends or military makes you a horrible and evil warmonger who must be punished twelve-fold.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Attacking city states is always a gamble in Civ 5. Any AI who were even remotely friendly or neutral to the city state will get upset, and if its not the first warmongering type action you've taken they may decide you're a threat to them. Its also possible the city state had a resource which it was sharing with those other AI and your attack would cut them off from it.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: September 26, 2012, 08:37:41 am »

Yeah, don't declare war against too many city states except for early worker stealing.  Also when you do, make sure you do it before civs declare they will protect the CS. Otherwise you will run a serious risk of getting the "Warmongering Menace" negative diplo hit.  That tends to lead to a denouncement spiral.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 43