Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 43

Author Topic: Civilization V  (Read 71310 times)

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
Re: Civilization V
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2010, 03:23:28 am »

Also, the formula hasn't actually been exactly the same for 20 years. Civ 4 had major changes over Civ 3, which had major changes over Civ 2, which had major changes over Civ 1, no matter how much Pathos tries to tell you that they were all just 'expansions' of each other.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2010, 03:25:50 am »

Well 3 wasn't all that revolutionary, but did have some good changes. Now 3 -> 4 was a large change, rebalanced tech tree and religion system and corporations in the expansions... very nice. And 5 seems to be a refinement and evolution of the concept with more tactical combat.

In one of the videos a guy talked about how he'd kept one of his initial warrior units alive from the start of the game all the way to the modern age, upgrading them as he went so that they were eventually mechanized infantry with a bunch of promotions for the experience they'd attained.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2010, 03:31:22 am »

3 had a lot of big changes, but I didn't really like them. Looking back years later, it seems more like a transitionary period into how good Civ4 was, in my eyes.
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2010, 03:38:34 am »

3 added in a lot of civ-specific units and added in traits for leaders. It was nice but 4 blew it away in my opinion.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2010, 03:47:08 am »

Also, the formula hasn't actually been exactly the same for 20 years. Civ 4 had major changes over Civ 3, which had major changes over Civ 2, which had major changes over Civ 1, no matter how much Pathos tries to tell you that they were all just 'expansions' of each other.

I'm specifically thinking about warfare.  Units can't stack, map is hex-based instead of square-based, cities don't necessarily need garrisons, and there's no transports.  Those are some humongous changes over the same basic combat system going all the way back to the beginning, plus all the expansions.  I mean, the biggest difference I noticed in Civ 4 was the policy decisions taking the place of government types, and that was imported from Alpha Centauri, which came before Civ 3.

And still no return of Alpha Centauri's unit-creation system, which was one of the best parts of the game.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2010, 08:03:12 am »

Rude much?
*snip*
I'll never touch d2d again. Crap customer service, detestable DRM scheme.

Heh, I'm sure Grakelin is extremely offended that I dissed his 7 character post.

This is my first D2D game and I've also heard bad things. I can't say much about their customer service, but their DRM scheme is just steam in this case, which you are going to get wherever you buy it.

Ive seen more than six reviews now and every singe one has it rated >= 9/10.

Shzar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2010, 08:44:18 am »

Woo, just preordered Civ V. I'm really quite excited about it. I've had lots of good times playing hotseat games of Civ IV with my girlfriend.
000634 □ [adventure mode][environment]   jumping into water while on fire resulted in steamy death

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2010, 08:46:18 am »

Sounds like you won't be very happy that hotseat isn't in the game yet and might never be patched in.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2010, 10:35:48 am »

You have hurt me deeply why don't you have any empathy

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2010, 10:39:46 am »

Because I work in a pediatric ER and seeing your forum avatar reminds me of torturing children. Yea, I'll go with that excuse.

Evilgrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2010, 10:44:11 am »

Sounds like you won't be very happy that hotseat isn't in the game yet and might never be patched in.

Welp. Thanks. I'm not buying this game now.

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2010, 10:47:55 am »

Another satisfied customer. Do I get my Debbie Downer award yet?

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 18, 2010, 08:04:08 pm »

In one of the videos a guy talked about how he'd kept one of his initial warrior units alive from the start of the game all the way to the modern age, upgrading them as he went so that they were eventually mechanized infantry with a bunch of promotions for the experience they'd attained.

I did that in Civ IV. Got a bunch of warriors and trained them up until they were navy seals. They were damn near invincible. They got owned taking a final city. And by taking it I mean sitting in a fort, on a hill, baiting out their stacks of death and taking out 2-3 stacks before succumbing to death ON THEIR OWN.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #58 on: September 18, 2010, 10:24:21 pm »

So... Samurai units (Japanese unique upgrade to swordsmen) sound awesome. They fight at full strength no matter how damaged they are.

How cool is that? Makes em very dangerous and costly to attack, even if they are nearly dead.

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 18, 2010, 10:29:06 pm »

I'll probably wait for a while to get Civ V. Mods were what I liked about Civ IV (History of Three Kingdoms in particular (thanks, Deon =)); I couldn't really get into the vanilla game. So I'll wait to get this game until there's a sale and/or there are mods that look promising. The people behind HoTK say they'll work on a Civ V mod. That will be enough incentive for me to get Civ V.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 43