Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 43

Author Topic: Civilization V  (Read 71347 times)

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
Re: Civilization V
« Reply #510 on: December 24, 2013, 02:58:23 pm »

Barbarians early game are kind of annoying, but needed. I tried doing some test games without them, and I had to build up a military instantly in every game, because warmongers would have nothing to slow them down, and as such would go on the warpath ASAP.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: February 19, 2014, 05:23:09 pm »

So, double post, but does it really matter, considering the posts are 3 months apart. Anyways, does anyone want to do some multiplayer? I have had very disappointing experiences in multiplayer, because everyone ends up leaving early. But I figure bay12 can commit. So, is anyone interested? BNW+G&K would probably be required at least, since they add so many important things.

bulborbish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: February 19, 2014, 05:30:36 pm »

I'm up for it. Probably for times sake we want to use Giant Multiplayer Robot to match errant player schedules.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: February 19, 2014, 05:32:05 pm »

I have all the DLC and didn't have more than one person to play multiplayer, so depending on the time, yeah, I might be up for it.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

bulborbish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: February 19, 2014, 05:41:41 pm »

I have all the DLC and didn't have more than one person to play multiplayer, so depending on the time, yeah, I might be up for it.

Eh, it's why I prefer GMR. No need to coordinate schedules.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: February 19, 2014, 10:36:29 pm »

I'm interested, but I need to buy a new computer first, which may take a few weeks.

Also I only own the vanilla game.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: February 19, 2014, 10:37:06 pm »

I'm interested, but I need to buy a new computer first, which may take a few weeks.

Also I only own the vanilla game.

Same here. Well... The vanilla game bit, that is. Still definitely interested though.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: February 20, 2014, 11:54:47 am »

edit: I missed that gmr was already mentioned. Anyway I might be interested in some multiplayer depending on the timing.

Cicero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: February 20, 2014, 02:12:52 pm »

I would certainly be interested in multiplayer, but only with the expansions. They are somewhat crucial to the game, it feels very incomplete without them.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: February 20, 2014, 02:31:37 pm »

I would certainly be interested in multiplayer, but only with the expansions. They are somewhat crucial to the game, it feels very incomplete without them.

Oh yes. I absolutely love the political element World Congress adds with BNW. I have no idea how to use religion, so outside of spies and rebalances G&K is less crucial, but BNW is essential. Otherwise post-Industrial game becomes a slog.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: February 20, 2014, 03:03:21 pm »

Oh yes. I absolutely love the political element World Congress adds with BNW. I have no idea how to use religion, so outside of spies and rebalances G&K is less crucial, but BNW is essential. Otherwise post-Industrial game becomes a slog.
My biggest gripe with religion in this game is that any civ that's founded a religion can't possibly be converted to another permanently. It's be like if the Fatimids repeatedly converted to Judaism until they lost Judea.
Even then, there's not much to do with religion, even having most the world of your religion isn't particularly beneficial unless you have the pilgrimage belief or papal primacy.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: February 20, 2014, 05:04:53 pm »

I hate that you can't extinguish a religion, because you can't extinguish it from the holy city, even one you control. If you use an inquisitor in a holy city, next turn the holy city will still pop up with heavy influence/push/whateveritscalled of that religion. Maybe if you raze it but razing a holy city is generally not a good idea, just because they tend to be large and well established and so capturing them makes more sense economically.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: February 20, 2014, 05:33:18 pm »

Sounds like the kind of problem the Taliban or Fundamentalist Christians have.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: February 20, 2014, 05:37:37 pm »

Yeah, even as I typed it, it occurred to me that the mechanic is a pretty faithful facsimile of real world religions, in the sense that they are pretty hard to snuff out completely.

Still, in terms of gameplay it annoys me that there's always going to be something "taking away" from my intended plan in a manner that I cannot control or even defend against. Doesn't really matter what you do, religion is going to spread and unless it carries effects that you wanted to choose but couldn't because some other player chose it first (in which case you might even want to spread it over your own, especially if you now own its holy city), the bonuses are going to hamper your efforts. It'd be like units just randomly up and losing health for no reason, or gold or science (in a manner separate from expenses/maintenance).
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 05:43:26 pm by Niveras »

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: February 21, 2014, 02:35:36 pm »

I hate that you can't extinguish a religion, because you can't extinguish it from the holy city, even one you control. If you use an inquisitor in a holy city, next turn the holy city will still pop up with heavy influence/push/whateveritscalled of that religion. Maybe if you raze it but razing a holy city is generally not a good idea, just because they tend to be large and well established and so capturing them makes more sense economically.

If you use an inquisitor on another holy city, it will cease to be a holy city.  I've done it before.  It's fun to do when you play continents and then completely take over your continent before meeting the other one.

As for uses for religion, I generally grab tithe and feed the world and call it a day.  Tithe gets me some nice GPT and an early GP and some missionaries can start my pressure snowball to keep it coming.  Then maybe throw in a pagoda or mosque and I got the extra happy and faith sink to hold me over to industrial.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 43