Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 43

Author Topic: Civilization V  (Read 71213 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Civilization V
« Reply #525 on: February 21, 2014, 02:48:51 pm »

I hate that you can't extinguish a religion, because you can't extinguish it from the holy city, even one you control. If you use an inquisitor in a holy city, next turn the holy city will still pop up with heavy influence/push/whateveritscalled of that religion. Maybe if you raze it but razing a holy city is generally not a good idea, just because they tend to be large and well established and so capturing them makes more sense economically.

If you use an inquisitor on another holy city, it will cease to be a holy city.  I've done it before.  It's fun to do when you play continents and then completely take over your continent before meeting the other one.

I can confirm, as I just did it myself yesterday (after annexing the holy city) to force the Mayans to stop repeatedly converting my cities with great prophets.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: February 21, 2014, 02:56:51 pm »

I kinda like it when they send GPs my way.  Just DoW and take that GP.  Now you got a free holy site.  Sometimes you even get some nice gold and stuff out of the peace deal. 

Then they send another GP your way 30 turns later.  :D
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Tobel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Tobel Plays Youtube
« Reply #527 on: March 10, 2014, 11:31:39 am »

Does anyone know of a mod that makes the map quite large but also balances how the roads work? Basically it lowers the cost of roads and increases the movement points on road tiles to make it feel a bit larger overall without punishing you. There was one for vanilla but I can't seem to find it.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: March 10, 2014, 11:38:35 am »

Yeah, the mod is called something like Civilization Eye Vee or something like that.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: March 10, 2014, 11:41:44 am »

Yeah, the mod is called something like Civilization Eye Vee or something like that.

I need someone to punch me for googling that, posthaste.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: March 10, 2014, 12:01:40 pm »

Don't worry, muscle wizards are on the way, remain seated and brace yourself.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: March 10, 2014, 12:06:50 pm »

Heeheehee

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: March 26, 2014, 12:11:10 pm »

So, I had tried out Civ 5 long ago and could never get into it. Then I bought Gods and Kings on sale a while back, since I heard that improved the game a good bit. Finally got around to really trying it out, and it's exactly what I needed to get into the game. I now have a successful game going as The Celts and everything is happy and fun (although it first took a few short games of me getting stomped on to figure out how to properly handle all the changes between 4 and 5).

Still no truly meaningful Diplomacy, though. Why can't Civ games ever have real diplomacy??

Anyway, question now is, should I be interested in getting Brave New World? Does it add all that much?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: March 26, 2014, 12:38:36 pm »

Anyway, question now is, should I be interested in getting Brave New World? Does it add all that much?

I enjoyed the additions that Brave New World added more so than Gods&Kings. The World Council/United Nations mechanic makes diplomacy and the late game a little more interesting.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: March 26, 2014, 01:56:23 pm »

Diplomacy in BNW is more meaningful.  If you want to get certain things passed in the WC, you need to approach things diplomatically.  If you want lump sum gold deals, you need friendship declarations.  Still, it's rather simplistic.  Don't expect too much.  Diplomatic victory is still pretty much the economic win, with the buying of CS allies for the votes. 
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: March 26, 2014, 02:01:49 pm »

The most interesting would be BNW +  human players, I suppose.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: March 26, 2014, 03:33:23 pm »

Still no truly meaningful Diplomacy, though. Why can't Civ games ever have real diplomacy??
Come now, they have very detailed simulations for dictators suffering breakdowns and ranting about the final and imminent destruction of the infidel.

More seriously, I'd like it if they could build some sort of mostly separate subsystem for diplomatic relations, so you could get into more detailed and irrelevant things than just trading copper or getting miffed at catching a spy. One of the things I loved about Alpha Centauri was that other factions would get pissed at you for running your empire wrong. No effect on them whatsoever, it just morally enrages them that you're inflicting Democracy and Free Markets on your own people. Something like that could be applied a bit more subtly, like regarding poaching or drugs or even just art or censorship, which might make things interesting without screwing with the main game too much, I think.

I can see it now. The Egyptian Prime Minister could call you up to tell you that gold is the work of the devil so you need to stop using it, and you could reply by mentioning that his country's public nudity laws have just got to change. The Russian Consul could contact you a bit later, confiding that Greece's illegal persecution of quack doctors has reached a boiling point and requires immediate military intervention, and that if you help out they might be willing to work in that ban you've been looking for on ever impugning the noble and virtuous duck into its new constitution.

I did not realize I wanted that this badly.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: March 26, 2014, 04:31:05 pm »

It could work, but only with Civ IV-style policies, i.e. things you adapt and let go of mostly freely.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: March 26, 2014, 04:37:06 pm »

Not at all. You could totally arbitrarily be forced to choose between declaring ducks unimpugnible or permanently losing -1 Gold Production from a target city, or outlawing cinnamon or suffering a temporary Happiness hit.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: March 26, 2014, 04:41:46 pm »

Not at all. You could totally arbitrarily be forced to choose between declaring ducks unimpugnible or permanently losing -1 Gold Production from a target city, or outlawing cinnamon or suffering a temporary Happiness hit.

Well, yeah, I kind of mis-phrased it. I meant to say that it could be done fairly easily if Civ VI reverted to Civ IV policy system.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 43