Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 43

Author Topic: Civilization V  (Read 71225 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Civilization V
« Reply #75 on: September 21, 2010, 07:33:59 am »

Between all these disparate alterations, Civ V is going to be the biggest departure since Alpha Centauri.  Is Sid Meier even still personally involved, or is Firaxis' stuff still as much his brainchild as before?  Because I wonder what brought on all these new changes after nearly twenty years of the same basic formula.
They promised to look at the feedback and playerbase suggestions and I believe they did it.

Some mods had these features and many people liked that. Probably Firaxis looked around the mods and accepted some clever moves. That's good :).

And balance-wise, I don't really care yet. I agree that Japanese unique ability is too strong, and some other stuff is lacking here and there, but it's a matter of expansions and patches. I didn't really like vanilla Civ IV before BTS too.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 21, 2010, 07:59:10 am »

Funny... I ordered this for pickup at bestbuy since I had a gift card with 10 bucks left with them. Got an email today ??? saying it was ready for pickup.

Went in, they said they can't give it to me even though I can see it behind the counter, and they sent me an email saying I could pick it up.

Eh, will have it tomorrow.  :-\

Wow, what's extra stupid about that is it doesn't matter if they give it to you since the street dates for this game are irrelevant. You can't play until steam unlocks it regardless of whether you have a retail copy now or not.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 21, 2010, 08:12:31 am »

... Japanese units fight at full strength regardless of damage?

I can accept this so long as German units have a 2x critical hit rating. Or something equally awesome.

Germans... I think they fight better against barbarians and there's a 50% chance of converting a barbarian unit to fight for you when you take a barbarian camp. Those are the only two civ powers I know about though  :-\. Are the rest of them posted somewhere?
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 21, 2010, 08:17:09 am »

At this point, we know just about everything about the game. Babylonians are just about the only thing we don't know. The PDF manual is available at the official site. civfanatics.com has a forum post with just about everything.

The one that is most easy on the eyes though is probably http://well-of-souls.com/civ/index.html

About 40 minutes til launch!

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 21, 2010, 08:39:21 am »

And balance-wise, I don't really care yet. I agree that Japanese unique ability is too strong, and some other stuff is lacking here and there, but it's a matter of expansions and patches. I didn't really like vanilla Civ IV before BTS too.

I think it looks fairly balanced. Other units will drop to a minimum of 55% (at 1hp, at least according to information so far) so it's not even twice that of an almost dead unit.

It's hard to judge the relative strengths though, India's for example would depend a lot on the map meaning you don't want many cities but you want them to be big. But until we have more details it's hard to see the balance point.

The Roman +25% building construction should be good for lots of situations but probably isn't game changing.

If anything I think the abilities seem less powerful than the traits in Civ 4 were.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 21, 2010, 08:43:14 am »

I think I'll be starting with a 180 of what I do every time. I am usually a fast expand, pop booming warmonger in every game from civ1-4 and alpha centauri. I just can't help that it is way better than just about every other strategy.

Now that we got city states I'm going to "give peace a chance" and try play Siam and sucking up to all the city-states and winning culture or diplo.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #81 on: September 21, 2010, 10:16:20 am »

so how does this make sense
I get a dvd with the civ 5 game on it. I set it installing and instead of installing from the disk it connects to steam, I verify my key, and it downloads

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 21, 2010, 10:27:13 am »

That....makes no sense at all.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #83 on: September 21, 2010, 10:41:52 am »

That....makes no sense at all.
yeah very odd

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 21, 2010, 11:06:27 am »

I hate Steam. I hate to download anything I don't have to.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 21, 2010, 11:24:15 am »

Between all these disparate alterations, Civ V is going to be the biggest departure since Alpha Centauri.  Is Sid Meier even still personally involved, or is Firaxis' stuff still as much his brainchild as before?  Because I wonder what brought on all these new changes after nearly twenty years of the same basic formula.

Actually, Sid Meier has turned a bit more into a brand name lately. I don't think he's been very personally involved in a lot of the stuff that has his name recently. I heard the rest of the Firaxis team took part in a lot of the design decisions in the Civ4 expansions.

It's not so bad, because IMO, he wasn't really that good a designer anyway. He gets some epic ideas, he pulled an idea from scratch to make it work (albeit not as complex as most would make it), but there are some better game designers from all these game design colleges. He's done his bid to start the work off and let someone else do it, and let the grunts fine tune it to perfection.

Reminds me a little of The Sims 3, which was sort of fun for the first two bit (the ones that Will Wright did), but really became a game when Will Wright took his hands off it.

But Sid did put his name and face on this one. And he just loves coming up with new ways to do things, so it's probably mostly his ideas until you get to the expansions.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 21, 2010, 11:32:06 am »

Ordered Deluxe edition. Hopefully this wont be the civ that breaks them all  ;D

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 21, 2010, 11:35:32 am »

Muz, that's not really fair. You're comparing games made with the limitations of 1991 and 2000 to games made in 2010.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 21, 2010, 11:44:48 am »

That ability, combined with two good UU's likely puts Japan as one of the top Civ's. From what I hear on the civfanatics forums, France is a bit too powerful as well.

Only thing that really has me concerned is The Great Wall. Apparently it slows people in your cultural borders, which is absolutely overpowered since it apparently never obsoletes.

Sounds fair, but never obsoletes? sounds a bit retarded.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 21, 2010, 11:47:29 am »

That ability, combined with two good UU's likely puts Japan as one of the top Civ's. From what I hear on the civfanatics forums, France is a bit too powerful as well.

Only thing that really has me concerned is The Great Wall. Apparently it slows people in your cultural borders, which is absolutely overpowered since it apparently never obsoletes.

Sounds fair, but never obsoletes? sounds a bit retarded.

You get one and frankly I never liked how wonders became obsolete too much anyhow. Not for strategy reasons but for "I built it, why are you taking it away?" reasons.

Though Civilization has sometimes boiled down to the Civ that managed to get a Wonder since for some you could combo Wonders to advance many times faster then your opponent.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 43