Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 43

Author Topic: Civilization V  (Read 71223 times)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: Civilization V
« Reply #105 on: September 21, 2010, 10:29:28 pm »

Are you allowed to move units through other friendly units, or do you have to do an elaborate sliding-block dance?
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 21, 2010, 10:31:07 pm »

Are you allowed to move units through other friendly units, or do you have to do an elaborate sliding-block dance?
You can. It'll even notify you if your units will end up on the same tile.

Edit: Holy crap, taking cities is hard. And why can't ranged units or archers capture cities? :(

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 22, 2010, 02:36:07 am »

so how does this make sense
I get a dvd with the civ 5 game on it. I set it installing and instead of installing from the disk it connects to steam, I verify my key, and it downloads

It should install from disc and then download a patch, not download the ~5gb of game completely.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

janekk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 22, 2010, 03:52:43 am »

Bleh this really puts me off from buying, after all I have to download it anyway (also it doesn't have hotseat  >:(). My internet connection sucks, but just imagine how screwed are people with dial up. Is it at least written on the box you have to download 5 GB? What were they thinking? I suspect they were afraid dvd will be copied too easily or something  ::).

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 22, 2010, 04:27:34 am »

The day 0 patch was only a few hundred meg, so that is all you should need to download with the DVD installer. Maybe steam got confused when the key was verified or something.

Day 0 patches are becoming increasingly common, but what with the publisher pressure to release early I can understand it. It's a pain to be force to ship a game you know needs fixes still.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 22, 2010, 04:44:36 am »

You can. It'll even notify you if your units will end up on the same tile.

Edit: Holy crap, taking cities is hard. And why can't ranged units or archers capture cities? :(

You need to be able to melee attack to take the city I'd guess. Makes me wonder if ships with a melee attack can take cities.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 22, 2010, 05:30:12 am »

Bleh this really puts me off from buying, after all I have to download it anyway (also it doesn't have hotseat  >:(). My internet connection sucks, but just imagine how screwed are people with dial up. Is it at least written on the box you have to download 5 GB? What were they thinking? I suspect they were afraid dvd will be copied too easily or something  ::).

You actually play hotseat? I tried playing it with my siblings. You switch seats so often in the first 50-100 turns that it doesn't even get hot. While it probably gets a bit longer after having 8 cities, the trouble of switching places all the time means that we never get to Construction.

Also, I played on a really high difficulty and let my brother play an easy one and he just stormed my city halfway across the map while I was still building my first unit.

Anyway, nobody has dial up. But it's still pretty stupid to have to download it.. there are people who only have 1 GB bandwidth a month. The whole point of buying a DVD is so you don't have to download it.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

janekk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 22, 2010, 07:24:00 am »

You actually play hotseat?
Anyway, nobody has dial up.
Yes I do.

Oh rly? I wouldn't be so sure.

Carrion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 22, 2010, 09:42:01 am »

Hot-seat games were always good fun.  We chose that over LAN most of the time.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #114 on: September 22, 2010, 10:17:39 am »

so how does this make sense
I get a dvd with the civ 5 game on it. I set it installing and instead of installing from the disk it connects to steam, I verify my key, and it downloads

It should install from disc and then download a patch, not download the ~5gb of game completely.
Yeah well, it didn't. Must have glitched.

I popped in the disk, ran the install. It popped up a steam window to input my key for verification. I did so and clicked through.

Then steam opened and it downloaded ~5GB of game stuff.

I'm just glad I have a very fast connection. Didn't take long to download

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 22, 2010, 11:11:45 am »

Yeah I love hotseat too. It's great to play hotseat on my laptop when we're in a countryside and want a bit of "civilization" :D.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 22, 2010, 03:35:26 pm »

It's actually possible to play hotseat? How do you guys handle that phase when someone inevitably messes up early on and wants to restart? The initial "end turn" phase always felt like way too much of a grind for me.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

janekk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 22, 2010, 03:56:12 pm »

How do you guys handle that phase when someone inevitably messes up early on and wants to restart? The initial "end turn" phase always felt like way too much of a grind for me.
What? You mean no one messes up in early game over LAN?

If it feels like grind you are you are doing it wrong or simply don't like game itself. When you play hotseat it's best to do it along other things, like reading book, having party or whatever you people like. That way you don't sit just waiting for your turn.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 22, 2010, 04:13:40 pm »

Is there a quickstart feature in V like there is in almost every other 4X game ever made, so you start out with four cities or so?  Yes, it gives you a little less uber control, but "this city isn't on exactly the square I want" is outweighed by "we don't have to pass the computer back and forth every ten seconds for the first fifty turns" as well as "wait, my continent is only 10 tiles across?  let's start over before we even hit turn 2".
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 22, 2010, 07:37:15 pm »

When you play hotseat it's best to do it along other things, like reading book, having party or whatever you people like. That way you don't sit just waiting for your turn.
I agree. Myself and a couple friends actually do homework fairly often while rotating through M2TW turns, because they take so long.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 43