Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 43

Author Topic: Civilization V  (Read 71372 times)

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
Re: Civilization V
« Reply #120 on: September 22, 2010, 09:28:43 pm »

What is M2TW?
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 22, 2010, 09:32:05 pm »

A damn shame.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Carrion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 22, 2010, 09:38:36 pm »

Medieval 2: Total War, I am guessing.  I've only played hot-seat with one or two other people, so I have never had to wait too long for my turn.  Anyway about it, LAN or hot-seat, you are going to wait, just with hot-seat, you get to share your ass warmth with your buds.  It's bonding, you know?

PenguinOverlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 22, 2010, 10:13:32 pm »

So, how is Civ 5?
CleverBot: It hurts when you laugh at me.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 22, 2010, 10:35:17 pm »

How do you guys handle that phase when someone inevitably messes up early on and wants to restart? The initial "end turn" phase always felt like way too much of a grind for me.
What? You mean no one messes up in early game over LAN?

If it feels like grind you are you are doing it wrong or simply don't like game itself. When you play hotseat it's best to do it along other things, like reading book, having party or whatever you people like. That way you don't sit just waiting for your turn.

It's not a grind over LAN. It feels like a grind because a turn takes (5-30 seconds + time to switch seats) * time to get second city * (number of players). Since time to switch seats >> 5 seconds, it a horrible slog to get up to the stage where you get to sit and think about what to do. If you have someone downstairs making a sammich when it's their turn, they can just end it themselves if they play LAN.

Dominions got hotseat just right, most other turn based strategy games do it well. I've tried hotseat with both Civ3 and Civ4 and it's just way too annoying for me because it has too many turns. Even worse that the Civ3 games typically last weeks single player.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 22, 2010, 11:28:51 pm »

So, how is Civ 5?

It feels like you're playing a Civ game, but with changes that make it a bit more intuitive. Not easymode intuitive, just information-where-you-want-it intuitive. Plus one unit per tile is pretty cool. Taking cities can be a bit hard, but I can't decide whether that's a good thing or a bad thing. I have to say, this is the first Civ game where I've actually bothered to pay attention to the benefits of different tile types and improvements (instead of just follow city placement suggestions and auto-improving) and do it all manually, mainly because it's actually relatively easy to figure out what it's all about. No complaints at all from me.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 23, 2010, 12:36:26 am »

Oh yeah, no more road spam all over the freaking place.

I only really have two major complaints about this version:
1. No tech trading... Only that silly research treaty thing that shares your next tech advance with the other player's.
2. AI can be quite nonsensical. Above and beyond standard AI stupidity. For instance: If you build your new city anywhere in the remote direction of any civilization, even if it's quite a long ways away, expect them to send you an angry note. Also, your units like to path through enemy territory. They are also quite strangely generous this time around... surrendering VERY easily on the normal - mid-hard difficulties. Sometimes I don't even have to fight a war, just declare one, wait 9 turns, and offer them peace for every piece of gold they have now and for the next 30 turns. Some other more enterprising players have talked about declaring war on city states, stealing all their workers, then offering peace. Things like that.

The AI stuff will most likely get fixed, not sure about the tech trading. *sniff*

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 23, 2010, 12:43:13 am »

Oh yeah, no more road spam all over the freaking place.

I only really have two major complaints about this version:
1. No tech trading... Only that silly research treaty thing that shares your next tech advance with the other player's.
2. AI can be quite nonsensical. Above and beyond standard AI stupidity. For instance: If you build your new city anywhere in the remote direction of any civilization, even if it's quite a long ways away, expect them to send you an angry note. Also, your units like to path through enemy territory. They are also quite strangely generous this time around... surrendering VERY easily on the normal - mid-hard difficulties. Sometimes I don't even have to fight a war, just declare one, wait 9 turns, and offer them peace for every piece of gold they have now and for the next 30 turns. Some other more enterprising players have talked about declaring war on city states, stealing all their workers, then offering peace. Things like that.

The AI stuff will most likely get fixed, not sure about the tech trading. *sniff*

Imma just say.

It's modable.
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

janekk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 23, 2010, 02:23:04 am »

time to switch seats
Why do you even bother with sitting down if it just takes few seconds to finish turn? Anyway I'm done with this hotseat topic, you don't like it, don't play it. Simple as that.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 23, 2010, 04:42:55 am »

It isn't on steam yet. If I order it now, would it still be a preorder? I don't know what mesopotamia pack is, but having it surely beats not having it, if  it is free.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 23, 2010, 04:52:34 am »

It isn't on steam yet. If I order it now, would it still be a preorder? I don't know what mesopotamia pack is, but having it surely beats not having it, if  it is free.

It's been on steam for months and months here, what country are you in? It's certainly there for me in the UK (although not unlocked yet) and still marks as a pre-order discount.

The Mesopotamia pack is a map in the cradle of civilisation map pack (of which different distributors got one each).

I've been playing the demo fairly obsessively while waiting for tomorrow to finally arrive and I have to say in the most part I like that game however there are two bits I don't like.

First I think the terrain and improvement system is fairly terrible compared to civ4. A lot of the terrains seem the same, flood plains and grassland by the river for example, and the improvements are generic, farm is always +1 food rather than being better for crops. This lead to the funness of me mining wheat as that was actually a more useful bonus than farming it. (Although in retrospect maybe a trade camp would have been better)

And second is seems to me the techs tree is tiny and you race through it fast, maybe on later levels it's slower but the demo only goes up to medieval times.

Of course other than that it seems to be a general improvement in all areas, as far as I've seen at least.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 23, 2010, 04:56:18 am »

what I meant is that it is on steam, but not downloadable yet.
It seems silly for it to still be a preorder few hours before release... but I am not going to complain. I'll buy it this afternoon.
Hopefully the game still looks cool without the recommended hardware and software... but I should have enough to run it.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #132 on: September 23, 2010, 05:33:08 am »

First I think the terrain and improvement system is fairly terrible compared to civ4. A lot of the terrains seem the same, flood plains and grassland by the river for example, and the improvements are generic, farm is always +1 food rather than being better for crops. This lead to the funness of me mining wheat as that was actually a more useful bonus than farming it. (Although in retrospect maybe a trade camp would have been better)

I don't think you get the bonus food from wheat unless you build a farm on it, which means mining a wheat tile results in 2 less food than farming it.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 23, 2010, 06:40:52 am »

I don't think you get the bonus food from wheat unless you build a farm on it, which means mining a wheat tile results in 2 less food than farming it.

I thought I was in the demo, seemed that way anyway but maybe I was getting confused :)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 23, 2010, 12:38:16 pm »

What game is shades playing? cause its not civilisation.

The terrain system is nearly 100% the same as civ 4.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 12:44:10 pm by Deadmeat1471 »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 43