Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 43

Author Topic: Civilization V  (Read 70661 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Civilization V
« Reply #135 on: September 23, 2010, 12:42:04 pm »

I don't think you get the bonus food from wheat unless you build a farm on it, which means mining a wheat tile results in 2 less food than farming it.

I thought I was in the demo, seemed that way anyway but maybe I was getting confused :)
Its not obvious because when you mouse over the tile it just says "Wheat: +1 Food" or something like that, but if you watch the yield you should only get the normal yield for that terrain type until you build an improvement on the resource. Same goes for things like iron and horses, which give bonus production but only if their improvements are built.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 23, 2010, 02:56:12 pm »

I am not sure if that is correct or not. I think mines give you a flat +1 production -1 food. An iron deposit on a grassland hill will be worth 3 production and 1 food. Putting a mine there gives you a straight 4 production.

I am not sure if plantations work the same way.

I think this is the best Civ so far. It doesn't seem as difficult as Civ 4, but it isn't a cake walk either.

I do not think cities are that hard to take over, you just need to bomb the crap out of them and support your ranged attacked with melee units. I was in the modern era last night, assulting a country across the sea. My ships cleared the beaches for my ground units, my ground units cleared the anti aircraft for my interceptors, my interceptors cleared the interceptors for my bombers and my bombers blasted the cities for my ground troops. It was awesome.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #137 on: September 23, 2010, 03:02:16 pm »

Well its always possible that I am wrong, I haven't played the game much yet. I'll see if I can test it some more.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 23, 2010, 03:19:39 pm »

Just bought the game.
Tomorrow I'll join the crowd of you people who play civ 5!

One of the first things I'll do will be testing mines and farms, unless somebody else does it first.I hope resources still give some terrain bonus with the appropriate building. It was nice to have tiles with 7 or more production/food :P

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 23, 2010, 03:43:18 pm »

I think Ill wait for the Civilisation 5 expansion to be announced before I decide if I want Civ 5...

Right now I noticed that not getting Beyond the Sword for Civ 4 was a mistake.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 23, 2010, 05:14:55 pm »

So I was hoping to find more information on maintenance costs and happiness over on the civ fanatics forum but it seems to be hammered right now (big surprise).

Here is a list I found out for unit maintenance costs:

16 / 102 (+14)
15 / 88
14 / 88 (+14)
13 / 74
12 / 74 (+14)
11 / 60
10 / 60 (+13)
9 / 47
8 / 47 (+13)
7 / 34
6 / 34 (+13)
5 / 21
4 / 21 (12)
3 / 9
2 /9 (+9)
1 / 0
0 / 0
This is from the modern era. It looks like every 2 units causes a big jump in costs, with the jump table increasing based on era. Unit count includes workers, so get rid of stuff you don’t need.

It also looks like the formula for happiness is 2 per city and 1 per population. This means that India “breaks even” on happiness at a city population of 6. Anything above 6 they start to get a bonus. From this I should be able to figure out what buildings are required to make a self sustained city, aka what buildings offset the unhappiness, how much do they cost, and how much would that city have to pull in to make up for the gold costs.

I really really wish there was a screen that would tell you upkeep and income per city. Also, you should be able to destroy buildings, which it does not appear that you can.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #141 on: September 23, 2010, 05:25:35 pm »

Inability to scrap buildings seems like a big oversight.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 23, 2010, 06:00:25 pm »

I would agree. I assume it will be one of those first patch things. I restarted my first game because I built foolishly in cities.

I can not wait to get home and play some more.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 23, 2010, 06:26:56 pm »

Me and a friend bought this on a coin flip. Damned heads!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #144 on: September 23, 2010, 06:28:31 pm »

Me and a friend bought this on a coin flip. Damned heads!
What was the other possibility?

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 23, 2010, 07:59:01 pm »

Given how awesome this game is, it must have been Cocaine.
!!&!!

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 23, 2010, 08:03:59 pm »

Given how awesome this game is, it must have been Cocaine.

Close, it was actually not buying the game right now.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #147 on: September 24, 2010, 03:55:23 am »

The game is good enough now to justify buying it in my opinion. It is at least feature complete, unlike Elemental (Does that even have multiplayer yet?) even though some things don't work quite right. I am certain a few quick patches will shore up some of the weaker options. Either way I am on hour 12 I believe of Civ 5 and haven't regretted my purchase like I did with Elemental.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 24, 2010, 08:21:06 am »

Seems mulitplayer is a little flaky. The game was released over here today and a bunch of us where I work were all geared up to play during lunch but it's not to be. Some of the guys (four of them) managed to get a game going but noone else could join and most of us ended up playing single player.

Not that single player is bad of course :) but we wanted to play together :(
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 24, 2010, 10:12:00 am »

the introduction movie looks great!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 43