Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 43

Author Topic: Civilization V  (Read 71211 times)

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Civilization V
« Reply #150 on: September 24, 2010, 10:26:02 am »

Here's something to try as soon as it becomes available to you. Pump up relations with every maritime city state you can find to allied status, and make all your cities focus on production and such rather than food.

Maritime city states export food to all your cities, and they stack. In a huge world where there might be five or so of them, it can get kind of stupidly powerful.
!!&!!

janekk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 24, 2010, 11:00:36 am »

My brother bought it but still long way from playing. Stupid steam updater is stuck at 73% but it doesn't look like it hanged. Does it work this way normally? It's stuck like that for a while now. Gah and I bet it will take hours or something stupid like that to patch game itself.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 24, 2010, 11:14:03 am »

No. It's not normal. Probably the server is swamped with too many connections. Try restarting steam and see what happens. It won't hurt the download.
!!&!!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 24, 2010, 11:15:00 am »

Today Steam servers are quite slow. My l4d2 was updating for an hour. It's not normal.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

janekk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 24, 2010, 11:55:15 am »

Come again why steam is so awesome? Game is right here on this DVD. Why can't I play it? ::)

@people who can play it: So what are thoughts so far on it? Is it as refreshing to series at it seems? I'm particularly interested in combat changes, this could take Civ from my "Solid, but nothing exciting" list to "Awesomeness" one. I really hate combat model in previous games, reason why I skipped Civ IV entirely. Just churning out units like in some C&C clone and measuring who's got bigger stack >_>.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 24, 2010, 12:03:38 pm »

Come again why steam is so awesome? Game is right here on this DVD. Why can't I play it? ::)

That might me the installer borking, apparently it does easily and the backup is to download rather than try again .. dumb of them (valve) really :/

@people who can play it: So what are thoughts so far on it? Is it as refreshing to series at it seems? I'm particularly interested in combat changes, this could take Civ from my "Solid, but nothing exciting" list to "Awesomeness" one. I really hate combat model in previous games, reason why I skipped Civ IV entirely. Just churning out units like in some C&C clone and measuring who's got bigger stack >_>.

The combat is far and away better than the stack rush of Civ 4, and probably the most improved feature. Position, movement and variety of units actually matter somewhat. Unfortunately the AI seems unable to deal with it (but we all know how unreasonably hard decent tactical AI is).

The other major improvements from my brief playing are the new social system replacement for civics, you get much more choice and each choice is minor enough than most aren't 'must haves' but it's all about how they synergise (that's not even a word is it), and the streamlining of the happiness / tax / research systems.

For me the down sides compared to Civ 4 are the research tree being tiny and to fast to burn through and the terrain improvements being uninteresting and simplistic. (I take back my comment on wheat I made previously though).

I feel that if Epic / Marathon would slow down tech but not building (or at least to a lesser extent) it would be more interesting.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 24, 2010, 12:20:12 pm »

I like the social policies system better than the Civics system. It gives you a lot of options to build up your civilization and leads to some thoughtful decisions on which order to go in. I never seem to generate enough culture to get far enough into them. It might be because I go war mode too fast and have too many cities, which increases the cost for new policies.

I don't know why people complain about things like improvements being too simplistic. I don't know what else you want. In any case you only have 3 resources to work with, food, production, and gold. Add more types of imporvements would just be different combinations of those three resources.

How on earth do you keep releations with 5 city states high at the same time? Assuming a -1 relation per turn and a 250 gold cost on 20 relations, you have to be pulling in 12 or so gold a turn PER city state. Ouch. Maybe you'll get lucky and liberate one (which gives you a massive bonus) or get a silly mission like "Make a great engineer" one turn before he pops in your capital.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 24, 2010, 12:50:41 pm »

I sort of felt that the previous Civ's had overcomplicated improvements. I mostly built mines, cottages, and farms. There were those other exploits you could do with certain improvements, but no fun. I'm glad if it no longer becomes a focus in the game.. improvements were one of the more annoying micromanagement bits.

I guess this whole DVD thing is a good reason to wait for prices to drop. I'm not exactly eager to use up all my expensive bandwidth by downloading the whole game. The main selling point of buying a game instead of stealing it is that you get it quick and easy.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #158 on: September 24, 2010, 01:33:40 pm »

The main selling point of buying a game instead of stealing it is that you get it quick and easy.
Oddly enough, this is the main reason I buy games on services like Steam rather than buy them in a store. Downloading Civ 5 only took about 38 minutes, during which I was also streaming a movie and I think my girlfriend was doing some other stuff. Once it is purchased, I don't have to keep up with the DVD or the serial key as well.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 24, 2010, 01:59:35 pm »

The main selling point of buying a game instead of stealing it is that you get it quick and easy.
Oddly enough, this is the main reason I buy games on services like Steam rather than buy them in a store. Downloading Civ 5 only took about 38 minutes, during which I was also streaming a movie and I think my girlfriend was doing some other stuff. Once it is purchased, I don't have to keep up with the DVD or the serial key as well.

Yeah, this...  When I got a new laptop, installing all my favorite free indie games took a good hour of tracking them all down and manually downloading+installing.  Steam on the other hand...  I just fired it up, clicked the ones I owned that I wanted on that machine, and let it run.

Just about any free game that I like, I would be happy to drop some money on for Steam to manage the downloads and patches for.  (Yeah, donating directly is good too, but it's also a nightmare to figure out a lot of peoples' individual money things).  Of course putting saved games in the cloud would sweeten the pot immensely.

I paid a fair amount for the humble indie bundle, but actually getting at my games is really pretty frustrating.  Oh, let me show you Penumbra!  Oh wait, first let me find my key first.  Where is it?  Well damn, there goes that idea.  I would never even *imagine* buying games from a store these days.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #160 on: September 24, 2010, 02:06:05 pm »

I was surprised today when I walked into Best Buy and found that they'd almost entirely removed the PC game section. It's now a tiny two-fixture area off in the corner beyond the massive console section.

I guess a lot of people are eschewing physical stores for PC games?

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 24, 2010, 02:13:25 pm »

Personally, I find the main point of buying a game instead of stealing it is that you get the game legally.  Ya know, the knowledge that you won't be hit with a massive-scale copyright lawsuit with a $2000 dollar settlement.  :P

But yes, digital downloads are an incredible thing. I have a filing drawer full of the various CDs, manuals, etc. that I accumulated over the years. There was a time when I was constantly swapping CDs (and often decided which game to play based on what was already in the drive, lazy me!). The only time I've reached into that drawer in the last 2.5 years was once to reinstall WC3. The lack of CDs and connected serial keys alone is enough to convert me to digital distribution, never mind the automatic installation of patches.

Of course, if your internet is slow and your bandwidth low, I can see downloading Civ V to be a real pain in the rear. So, to those people, I say: "Umm, sorry!"  ;)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 24, 2010, 02:41:51 pm »

Personally, I find the main point of buying a game instead of stealing it is that you get the game legally.  Ya know, the knowledge that you won't be hit with a massive-scale copyright lawsuit with a $2000 dollar settlement.  :P

But yes, digital downloads are an incredible thing. I have a filing drawer full of the various CDs, manuals, etc. that I accumulated over the years. There was a time when I was constantly swapping CDs (and often decided which game to play based on what was already in the drive, lazy me!). The only time I've reached into that drawer in the last 2.5 years was once to reinstall WC3. The lack of CDs and connected serial keys alone is enough to convert me to digital distribution, never mind the automatic installation of patches.

Of course, if your internet is slow and your bandwidth low, I can see downloading Civ V to be a real pain in the rear. So, to those people, I say: "Umm, sorry!"  ;)

If a company goes under, you're fucked.

Blah blah no-cd crack blah blah.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 24, 2010, 02:43:15 pm »

If a company goes under, you're fucked.

Blah blah no-cd crack blah blah.
I dont think Valve is going under any time soon.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 24, 2010, 02:46:54 pm »

Fix for game wont install from disc.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe