Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 43

Author Topic: Civilization V  (Read 70938 times)

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Civilization V
« Reply #165 on: September 24, 2010, 02:49:55 pm »

Steam thread again. I agree with everyone's assessment of why digital distribution is great. I'd also like to add that if you overly scratch a CD or lose it, bah bah bye bye 60 bucks.

Trying to bring this back to the thread topic, what civ have you guys been playing? I have been playing France because I thought 2 culture per city was pretty cool, but I've changed my mind, it is only okay. France has two good UU but that is really it. I think I'll go back to India. Right now my civ happiness is at like 4 and goes into the negative every few turns. Almost all of my cities have 6 or more people. Lots of buildings and policies lower unhappiness from city count but few do it from population count.

India has a crappy UU (just a better horse archer) and UB (a better castle... not sure I ever even built walls) but those are such short lived bonuses anyway.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 24, 2010, 02:50:17 pm »

It's a fair bit of effort :P

I'm glad I have a good download speed. *hugs netgear router*
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #167 on: September 24, 2010, 02:51:10 pm »

Lately I have been using Rome a lot. The Legion and Ballista units are really, really fun and the production bonus for anything you've built in your capital is great.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 24, 2010, 03:34:35 pm »

Yeah, Rome's bonuses make it really easy to negate the maluses for new cities rather quickly. If you're playing in Epic or Marathon mode, you've got the Legion available for a very long time, since they're only made obsolete by Gunpowder, and it's very easy to use them to spam a road network into place while your workers do better things.

I think the only civ with a better early game potential is the Iroquois, only because they can use forest and jungle tiles as if they were roads, for the purpose of trade networks, but that's only a potential, as you have to start off near a forest for it to matter at all. In any case, if they do, many, many worker/turns are saved by that bonus that are better spent on more productive projects.
!!&!!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #169 on: September 24, 2010, 03:40:37 pm »

Iroquois bonus also makes for fast early game scouting.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 24, 2010, 04:45:22 pm »

I've only played one game so far and only on Warlord difficulty (3rd level I think), but the elephant archers seem to scare the heck out of the CPU players. I had one stationed in each city and maybe one extra with only 4 cities and all of the civs I talked to remarked about my huge and powerful army. It's probably just the difficulty I was playing on, but yeah. I really like their civ bonus for my play style too, since I tend to have relatively fewer, but larger, cities.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 24, 2010, 04:52:11 pm »

I am playing as Russia. quite decent so far, but I think their bonus might not be much good, if I didn't set the map to have tons of resources. And even then, probably it isn't worth much.

I am playing on the second lowest difficulty and so far, it is easier than civ 4. At least, on my continent.
I settled in the north, building slowly and quietly. Then japan start plotting against Iroquois. At the beginning I accepted secret pacts just to improve relations with him ( actually, I accepted them from both parties, just to stop them from annoying me). I finally decide to militarize heavily and please the Japanese who were asking me to attack the Iroquois , since military advisor basically said that they had no army. After I turn both the 2 enemy cities in a puppet state, japan gets angry at me. So , since I have my army ready, I attack him too. Both of them had a couple of units, warriors mainly, while I had spearmen, cavalry and archers.
Now I am alone in my continent, with 4 city states. What do I do with all that land? I don't want to deal with lower happiness and higher cultural costs from having more cities. Should I attack the city states? they are much more well defended than the enemy players. Is it worth the trouble to attack them?

maybe I should have picked an higher difficulty even if it is my first game in civ 5.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 24, 2010, 04:58:16 pm »

Now I am alone in my continent, with 4 city states. What do I do with all that land?

This is my main issue with Civ 5 I think. Even if you "control" a continent, you don't want to just fill it with cities like in the past because of the repercussions. It's a bit annoying, but I'm sure it's not as bad as I think it is, I just don't really know the system all that well yet.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 24, 2010, 05:05:50 pm »

How many real-life countries have ever controlled that much land?

I mean...Russia is pretty big...China's not tiny either...But heck look at Brazil, it doesn't control all of its continent, and the US certainly doesn't control all of NA.

I think this is a case where you're gonna have to just deal with less land, like the British Empire eventually learned to.  And if you get attacked by barbarians, just consider them to be whatever militants or terrorists or drug barons you want from minor nations that you just can't quite take control of.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 24, 2010, 05:15:00 pm »

Lately I have been using Rome a lot. The Legion and Ballista units are really, really fun and the production bonus for anything you've built in your capital is great.

I think I'd play Rome more if you could build a god damn courthouse in your capital. That is the one building I am always checking every turn to see if it has completed yet.

In my current game, I've built very few buildings in my capital. I tried this game to build all the cultural buildings (Because I find social policies sexy) and I always build the economic buildings, since they only help (they have no upkeep).  After that my capital always seems to focus on wonders and the military machine. I don't even think it has a library.
I don’t know how well this play style mixes with Rome… probably better with India.
I would say that Civ 5 has fewer repercussions than civ 4 for city spam. Remember in 4 cities would cost you lots of money, regardless of what you built. Less money = less science.  In Civ 5 bad things don’t really happen until you get to -10 happy faces. 25% growth rate doesn’t seem to be too much of a penalty.
What I love and hate about Civ is that there are so many different ways to run a good empire. I think this is truer than ever with Civ5. It is like an intricate opportunity cost simulator. My problem is I always deviate from the set path and end up with a mildly retarded hybrid. I should keep notes on how my game went and what I struggled with so next game I can do better.
Do you guys have a default list of buildings you always build in every city? For me it is Marketplace, bank, bonus culture. Then generally I have to set up a happiness building or two…

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 24, 2010, 05:19:57 pm »

Haha I agree with you about ending up with a... less than ideal setup from a lack of focus on the way I build my empire. I typically do bonus culture first, then marketplace, then maybe a science building. The third building depends a lot on what resources the city has immediate access to.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 24, 2010, 05:26:17 pm »

Now I am alone in my continent, with 4 city states. What do I do with all that land?

This is my main issue with Civ 5 I think. Even if you "control" a continent, you don't want to just fill it with cities like in the past because of the repercussions. It's a bit annoying, but I'm sure it's not as bad as I think it is, I just don't really know the system all that well yet.
I think that they have been trying to stop people from building huge empires for a while. In civ 3, I remember huge maps and me filling them with hundreds of cities. Not a big deal, since I wasn't actually losing anything, just not gaining gold and production from far cities. Conquest was easy and cheap too ( as far as actually keeping the territory is concerned).
In civ 4, I had to switch from " all I can build" to "all I can pay for" ( buildings however went in the opposite direction). Now, I haven't played much yet but I doubt I'll ever be very big. mostly I iwll just have puppet states.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #177 on: September 24, 2010, 05:47:53 pm »

I think I'd play Rome more if you could build a god damn courthouse in your capital. That is the one building I am always checking every turn to see if it has completed yet.
What? Why? All a courthouse does is stop an occupied city from generating extra unhappiness. It would do nothing at all in your capital.

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 24, 2010, 05:48:13 pm »

Not necessarily civ v, but still an awesome civ-related video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL6wlTDPiPU&feature=sub
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 24, 2010, 06:00:40 pm »

My only objection to that is that the song does have lyrics already, they're just not in English. But the guy obviously had fun doing it.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 43