Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 43

Author Topic: Civilization V  (Read 70981 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Civilization V
« Reply #195 on: September 25, 2010, 04:48:11 am »

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

I. HATE. THE. RNG!!!!

So here's the story. Large map. Continents. Epic mode modded so that research is 175% longer instead of 125%. 15 civs. 13 civs spawned on one continent (and the small islands around it). 2 civs spawned on the other one. I'm on the one with the 13 civs.

So for 500 turns (1880 AD), the 13 of us were duking it out over our reasonably large continent and surrounding islands. We only just researched riflemen. Then all of a sudden, Iroqouis helicopters and mechanized infantry start landing all over the goddamn place and killing every one of us. When I went to check how the bleeding heck the Iroqouis could do such a thing, turns out they had FOURTY (40!!!!) cities on the other continent after wiping out Washington. To compare, the max any of us had at the time before the invasion of doom was 10.

500 turns and 16 hours completely wasted :(

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 25, 2010, 04:52:17 am »

That sounds rather cool though.

Like if no one had discovered America and Europe kept fighting amongst itself and then the Aztecs nuke everyone.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 25, 2010, 06:01:03 am »

Good god, is there any way to end turn without setting production for a city? I built ever possible building, I simply cannot build any more - there's no space to, and yet it doesnt allows me to end turn because it wants me to select a production. There arent any option like "Convert production to research" like there was in Civ IV and III...
Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #198 on: September 25, 2010, 06:06:58 am »

Good god, is there any way to end turn without setting production for a city? I built ever possible building, I simply cannot build any more - there's no space to, and yet it doesnt allows me to end turn because it wants me to select a production. There arent any option like "Convert production to research" like there was in Civ IV and III...
Just like in Civ 4, you must unlock the ability to produce research or wealth by researching the appropriate technologies. And no, you cannot just not produce anything in a city.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 25, 2010, 09:57:32 am »

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

I. HATE. THE. RNG!!!!

So here's the story. Large map. Continents. Epic mode modded so that research is 175% longer instead of 125%. 15 civs. 13 civs spawned on one continent (and the small islands around it). 2 civs spawned on the other one. I'm on the one with the 13 civs.

So for 500 turns (1880 AD), the 13 of us were duking it out over our reasonably large continent and surrounding islands. We only just researched riflemen. Then all of a sudden, Iroqouis helicopters and mechanized infantry start landing all over the goddamn place and killing every one of us. When I went to check how the bleeding heck the Iroqouis could do such a thing, turns out they had FOURTY (40!!!!) cities on the other continent after wiping out Washington. To compare, the max any of us had at the time before the invasion of doom was 10.

500 turns and 16 hours completely wasted :(

To be fair, that's just exactly what happened in real life, except the Iroquois started in the other continent.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

janekk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: September 25, 2010, 02:02:53 pm »

Then all of a sudden, Iroqouis helicopters and mechanized infantry start landing all over the goddamn place and killing every one of us.
Sounds awesome!

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: September 25, 2010, 07:05:00 pm »

I had a really cool thing happen in my game earlier today.

I had just wrapped up a good round of annihilating Aztec on our shared continent, and had started blazing up the tech tree and had gotten hold of mechanized infantry. Suddenly I see a notification that the Persians are attacking a city state, Vienna, I think, and them calling for help. I though "Oh, all right" and promoted one of my Aztec-killing infantry to their mechanized version and gifting it to Vienna. I then forgot about it until a few turns later when I see that Vienna is suddenly a bigger state on the map. It turns out Vienna used my gifted Mechanized infantry to beat the crap out of the Persian early renaissance era military and even taking one of their cities. I continued gifting units to Vienna and some time later they actually completely wiped out the Persians.

End result: a 4 city city-state (they razed about half of the Persian cities a few turns after capturing them, for some reason). I didn't even think it was possible for city states to capture enemy cities, so I was pretty baffled about the whole event.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 25, 2010, 07:39:16 pm »

Lol nice

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 25, 2010, 09:20:48 pm »

One thing that i will say is the AI is much better than previously. It's subtle but it really seems smarter.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 25, 2010, 10:13:11 pm »

I had just wrapped up a good round of annihilating Aztec on our shared continent, and had started blazing up the tech tree and had gotten hold of mechanized infantry. Suddenly I see a notification that the Persians are attacking a city state, Vienna, I think, and them calling for help. I though "Oh, all right" and promoted one of my Aztec-killing infantry to their mechanized version and gifting it to Vienna. I then forgot about it until a few turns later when I see that Vienna is suddenly a bigger state on the map. It turns out Vienna used my gifted Mechanized infantry to beat the crap out of the Persian early renaissance era military and even taking one of their cities. I continued gifting units to Vienna and some time later they actually completely wiped out the Persians.

End result: a 4 city city-state (they razed about half of the Persian cities a few turns after capturing them, for some reason). I didn't even think it was possible for city states to capture enemy cities, so I was pretty baffled about the whole event.

The note on city states in games only states that they're not ACTIVELY attempting to win the game. Sufficient player intervention could make it possible. We must experiment.
!!&!!

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 25, 2010, 11:04:31 pm »

The note on city states in games only states that they're not ACTIVELY attempting to win the game. Sufficient player intervention could make it possible. We must experiment.

That sounds like a challenge  ;D

Make the biggest City State.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 25, 2010, 11:20:50 pm »

Lately I have been using Rome a lot. The Legion and Ballista units are really, really fun and the production bonus for anything you've built in your capital is great.

I think I'd play Rome more if you could build a god damn courthouse in your capital. That is the one building I am always checking every turn to see if it has completed yet.
What? Why? All a courthouse does is stop an occupied city from generating extra unhappiness. It would do nothing at all in your capital.

As rome, if a courthouse could be built in the capital, you could build it 25% faster elsewhere.

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 26, 2010, 01:59:54 am »

Six hours in. I love this game.
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #208 on: September 26, 2010, 03:43:42 am »

Lately I have been using Rome a lot. The Legion and Ballista units are really, really fun and the production bonus for anything you've built in your capital is great.

I think I'd play Rome more if you could build a god damn courthouse in your capital. That is the one building I am always checking every turn to see if it has completed yet.
What? Why? All a courthouse does is stop an occupied city from generating extra unhappiness. It would do nothing at all in your capital.

As rome, if a courthouse could be built in the capital, you could build it 25% faster elsewhere.
Ahh, yeah I'd forgotten about that.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 26, 2010, 04:58:50 am »

Awesome bug:

Railroads give 50% production boost to any city connected to your capital via railroads. However, the game must have forgotten than harbors (the FAR FAR FAR more cost effective way to make trade routes) also count as connections. So if you build a small railway from your capital to a harbor city, every single city you have with a port will get 50% railroad boost without the insane costs of actually building the railroads.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 43