Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 43

Author Topic: Civilization V  (Read 70644 times)

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Civilization V
« Reply #255 on: September 28, 2010, 06:03:52 am »

Are there any cracks so you can have it playing on multiple computers at the same time despite the whole steam thing?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #256 on: September 28, 2010, 09:24:21 am »

Are there any cracks so you can have it playing on multiple computers at the same time despite the whole steam thing?
Play in offline mode?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: September 28, 2010, 09:28:12 am »

Can you force alliances in Civilization 5?

Thendash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: September 28, 2010, 09:38:17 am »

I don't think so, which is kind of annoying. I played a continent game, 3 continents 2 civs per. I was Germany on a continent with France, I wiped them out at about the same time I developed the tech needed to build caravels. So I send out a few and find Rome has destroyed all but 1 city of the English, one of my city states gets into a spat with one of Romes city states and we both get pulled into a war. I decimated Rome with my advanced troops and now own 2 continents. I go talk to England thinking they'll be great full that I destroyed their oppressors, but no, they want nothing to do with me because I was a dick to Rome and refused their peace treaty. Stupid British, you can't defy the overlord of the world and expect to get away with it! There should be a way to say, "be my ally and pay me tribute or die!"
Thendash's Livestream

This game could honestly give out hand jobs for free and people would still bitch.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: September 28, 2010, 10:06:22 am »

Depends what you mean. You can set up teams before the game starts, which I'm assuming forces alliances that stay through the whole game.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
  • A vile force of darkness has arrived!
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #260 on: September 28, 2010, 10:29:11 am »

Well, the scale in a game like this can never really be realistic. When you have turns leaping multiple years, you have to ask "Why did it take my warrior 8 years to travel a few hexes?" etc.

Everybody in your distant scouting party is DEAD before they return.

Also a couple generations of people, they come back.
They just breed like rabbits :P.

And I've decided not to buy it on Steam yet. I just pirated it and play it, and it's nice but not awesome, I don't see anything which makes it much better than Civ IV (but it's definitely different).

I can't play without a mod which "fixes" game speed though, otherwise units become obsolete while you build them hehe.

Don't you mean, Civ 5 pirated you?

yes that was a soviet russia joke

Also there is a free demo that lets you play for quite a while. I don't think pirating is really necessary for trial purposes.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: September 28, 2010, 10:33:14 am »

Depends what you mean. You can set up teams before the game starts, which I'm assuming forces alliances that stay through the whole game.

I did. That is nice.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #262 on: September 28, 2010, 04:06:56 pm »

Teams are awesome, you share technology automatically as well.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: September 28, 2010, 08:26:29 pm »

So i tried teams of 3.
Got Persia & Aztec with me and started with 2 sugar, I thought I'd shade with Persia to get one of his extras.
Open Diplomacy and get insulted about my military.
Uh, yeah, ok, You want sugar for silk?
NO! GIEF MONNIES TOO!
Right, refused and checked with Monty and he was the same.
I thought we were supposed to be allied? Not to mention that the other factions were all over me with cooperation offers and whatever.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #264 on: September 28, 2010, 08:39:20 pm »

Persia is pretty much a greedy dick.

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: September 29, 2010, 05:56:46 am »

and Monty's just a D-bag.
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: September 29, 2010, 10:16:02 am »

My theory was that the AI wasn't designed for allied play. That's really more of a multiplayer thing.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: September 29, 2010, 10:20:11 am »

Did he have spare silk?
But Grakelin is probably right. The multiplayer parts seem unfinished and that probably includes the AI dealing with them. Once they patch it it will hopefully be better.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: September 29, 2010, 01:34:41 pm »

if you're playing on a difficulty higher than prince, keep in mind that the AI is programmed to refuse fair deals.

It's sad that I never associate human qualities to the leaders in civ like other people. I've never once considered Montezuma to be a douchebag or the like. Heck, I generally don't even think about the leaders at all, just the nations. For me, it's just "France is programmed to expand and conquer", "India is programmed to gain culture and declare late wars", etc.

Different in Alpha Centauri though. Associated a lot of "human" qualities with Lady Diedre if you know what I mean.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: September 29, 2010, 05:46:44 pm »

Different in Alpha Centauri though. Associated a lot of "human" qualities with Lady Diedre if you know what I mean.
I'm not sure how much I agree with you there. Playing as the Hive, I often found myself allied with Zakharov, feeling that we're similar enough in means though we may have different end goals. It just ruins it when Zakharov tells me, "I've had enough of your brutal nihilism!" and declares war. It makes no sense. More human qualities than normal civ, though, I agree.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 43