Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 43

Author Topic: Civilization V  (Read 70641 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Civilization V
« Reply #330 on: October 04, 2010, 11:13:20 am »

Can this game utilize Quad-cores?

Not really. Core utilization seems almost entirely on one core.

I thought I read somewhere in the settings on manual that it supports multicore. I'd expect multicoring to be a requirement for any AAA game, though. game with an AI.

FTFY

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: October 04, 2010, 11:56:46 am »

I have found all of the narrations and quotes to be lack luster. Even with Nimoy reading them they would have fallen short. In Civ 4 it seemed like all the tech quotes pertained directly to the technology or to the era the technology was created. For example, internal combustion (or whatever) in Civ 4 had Henry Ford saying "You can have the Model T in any color you want, so long as it is black." Directly referencing the event or someone important to the event. In Civ 5 the quote is "Any man who can safely operate a car while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves" by Albert Einstein. In Civ 5 the quotes just seem to reference whatever it is you researched. Kind of disappointing.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #332 on: October 04, 2010, 12:00:08 pm »

While I agree that the tech quotes are lackluster, this rates about a 2 on my 1-10 importance scale.  :D

The combat more than makes up for it IMHO

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: October 04, 2010, 12:09:55 pm »

Well, yeah, IMO, Civ 5 lost some of its passion. Personally, I thought the Social Policies system was more lackluster than the previous Civics or Government system.

Gameplay is still a lot better than the last one. Can't wait for a Fall From Heaven mod for Civ5.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: October 04, 2010, 03:20:39 pm »

While I agree that the tech quotes are lackluster, this rates about a 2 on my 1-10 importance scale.  :D

Well OBVIOUSLY  :). In reality, I just miss the SMAC characters, quotes and movies more than anything else.

I need to prefect my early game strat. I have trouble with everything, wonders, money, culture. It seems like I do nothing correctly except war.

Anyone what to help me develop a strat to get a second city followed by Stonehenge in the capital? For building I go: Worker, Warrior, Settler, Stonehenge and for techs I go mining, pottery, calendar. I generally have my worker mine a mountain first, whichever one provides me the biggest bonus.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: October 04, 2010, 04:24:09 pm »

Well OBVIOUSLY  :). In reality, I just miss the SMAC characters, quotes and movies more than anything else.

Ah!  I think that's one of the reasons I liked what I saw of Civ V so much.  Sure, the previous civ games gave each culture its own color, and they each had their own leader picture.  But there's subtle things here--like the way the game addresses you AS the historic leader at the start of the game--that makes it feel, well, a tiny bit more SMAC-ish.  Yeah, it's kind of stupid honestly that taking creative control out of the hands of the player makes the game better.  But SMAC always felt like you were playing a role, and Civ V is a very tiny, tiny nudge back in that direction.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: October 04, 2010, 05:08:24 pm »

Anyone what to help me develop a strat to get a second city followed by Stonehenge in the capital? For building I go: Worker, Warrior, Settler, Stonehenge and for techs I go mining, pottery, calendar. I generally have my worker mine a mountain first, whichever one provides me the biggest bonus.
On High difficulty, Don't have many turns marginal for this.
scout(5turns), worker, few turns of whatever(monolith?) then switch to Stonehenge when available followed by Great library
Pottery, calendar, writing, Head for civil service or Philosophy? Medieval Social policies opened up in just 70~ turns i think.

You'll probably miss out on the pyramids but it's a good start.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: October 04, 2010, 09:52:11 pm »

Fikes: Don't do worker to start. Not in this one. Don't get a settler so early either, it'll ruin your golden age chances. Heck, I usually wait till my 3 warriors are built before I even bother with a worker. What's he going to make? Farms? xD

Think of this game as a... fighting game. You're trying to chain combos here. You need to combo golden ages, combo wonders, combo unit abilities, etc. Golden ages are the primary objective and are so easy to get this time around. This is because they boost your production and gold by insane amounts (at least triple) and last quite awhile. You get them by spamming happiness. You combo wonders by doing say... Great Library to get to Oxford Library ASAP. Unit abilities should be pretty clear cut.

Try warrior first. Or scout if it's a big map. There's no real big benefit in going for Stonehenge either in this version as cultural victory is impossible (or ridiculously difficult). Better to get the first wonder as either Pyramids or Great Library. I go Great Library myself since it also allows for regular libraries and the free tech is amazing in the early game and works well with the writing tech required for Great Library, since the next step up is much harder to get but still very much needed. You're not going to be able to make all three on any respectable difficulty setting, so you need to choose what is more important to you.

My basic idea is to spam out military units constantly while occassionally, once in awhile, building a necessary building of some sort like markets or coliseums. This civ is all about combat. None of the AI are even programmed to even consider any other objective. You can bet most online players think the same way too. So get shittonnes of combat units of every sort. The only unit I don't recommend are siege units prior to the artillery of the industrial age since they have the same range as cities anyway, move so damn slow that the enemy can freely react to them, and aren't that useful on the offense. Great defensive tools though. If you have early game unique units, you have an amazing advantage (2 hoptilites can take out a level 4 city, 2 immortals can take out a level 6 city, etc.), so spam those too.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: October 04, 2010, 11:44:17 pm »

Cultural victory isn't impossible but it is by far the most insanely difficult as not only do you have to plan on getting a cultural victory from the very start (in which you take substantial penelties to even make the attempt) but it is also obvious and capable of being negated.

Though the clear cut cultural victory strategy has yet to be written the theory on it is rather solid.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: October 05, 2010, 02:54:02 pm »

Fikes: Don't do worker to start. Not in this one. Don't get a settler so early either, it'll ruin your golden age chances. Heck, I usually wait till my 3 warriors are built before I even bother with a worker. What's he going to make? Farms? xD

As I figured, I have done pretty much everything wrong according to your post. I’ve got some questions though…

Without getting a worker, how do you ever get your city to grow past 3 or generate any production at all and at some point, doesn’t your military become a big drain on your wealth? When do you start going for a second city?

Interesting that my idea of siege units is the exact opposite of yours. I love trebs and cannons. A treb on a mountain or in forests can do way more damage to a city than the city can do back, where as a couple of spearmen lose about half their life attacking and the rest if the enemy has any nearby siege units.

Interesting though, I will give it a shot.

Ah!  I think that's one of the reasons I liked what I saw of Civ V so much.  Sure, the previous civ games gave each culture its own color, and they each had their own leader picture.  But there's subtle things here--like the way the game addresses you AS the historic leader at the start of the game--that makes it feel, well, a tiny bit more SMAC-ish.  Yeah, it's kind of stupid honestly that taking creative control out of the hands of the player makes the game better.  But SMAC always felt like you were playing a role, and Civ V is a very tiny, tiny nudge back in that direction.
I think the beginning game speales are TURRIBLE. How can you address me as a leader in 5000bc and then talk about a battle I already won in 500BC? What the crap is that all about? Pick history or immersion, mixing the two is stupid.

Now that you mention it though, it is kind of nice to be given back a character in the game, like in SMAC. I remember in MOO2 how you could pick what your race looked like. I remember once I picked the Bruita (the big cat/bear people) and also espionage. The huge brute looked so hilarious in his stealth suit when you stole a tech. I remember thinking “I bet very few people have EVER seen this animation”.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: October 05, 2010, 04:58:06 pm »

Think about it. +1 food vs +2 gold per tile. Generally speaking, anyone who spent the beginning of the game building farms everywhere is going to spending an inordinate amount of time repurposing them for trading camps which are so much better. Some would argue that later on with the extra food from later tech, you'd want farms, but then again... that's what maritime city states are for. It's so much more practical to fund your entire empire with the maritime city states and their HUGE food bonuses then missing out on so much gold.

I understand your concern about growth in the early game, but I've yet to see a city not built in a desert have troubles growing to normal states in this version. :P Sure, it takes only a bit longer, but think of all that extra gold! You should keep in mind that golden ages don't give food bonuses either, so plots with no gold (i.e: farms) would do nothing in one of the very common golden ages but plots with trading posts get even MORE gold and the associated hammer boosts. Again, you wanna chain those lovely golden ages which you get so damn often to get ahead.

And how do you fund a military? Just conquer barbarians. They're all over the freaking place and they all give +25 gold. That's a lot of gold in the early game and can easily fund large militaries. If you have the honor trait, you get to see them with uncanny radar sense. Furthermore, you can actually camp their spawns as barbarian camps spawn in predefined areas, so it's essentially +25 gold or more every 6 turns or so (+4 gold / turn) for each spawn you camp. Isn't that awesome? It's why I keep saying Bismark is super OP as he gets gold AND free units.

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: October 05, 2010, 08:10:23 pm »

I'd love a new SMAC on the Civ 5 engine.
Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: October 05, 2010, 11:26:04 pm »

I'd love a new SMAC on the Civ 5 engine.
Well, not exactly Civ5 engine, terraforming and unit designer were VERY nice features as well.

Also, I fully agree on awesomeness of SMAC lore. I don't think I saw any other 4X where I was reading all the lore bits and loved voice acting so much. I didn't play for several years, but some of quotes are still stuck in my head. Oh, and that monolith with achievements. Sure it was doing nothing, but I still enjoyed getting them ahead of enemies.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: October 06, 2010, 01:16:44 am »

Oh, and that monolith with achievements. Sure it was doing nothing, but I still enjoyed getting them ahead of enemies.

Beat the hell out of Civ 2's throne room, that's for damn sure.  Nothing's as cool as Civ 1's palace builder though :(
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: October 06, 2010, 12:00:42 pm »

UGH this thread is killing me with memories! I remember when I first realized you could mix and match palace types in Civ 1. So awesome! And the acheivement monolith in SMAC! I had forgotten all about that. SMAC can claim to have started the age of achievements.

Back from the memory graveyard though... I am interested to hear more from umiman. So you'd suggest only building workers after you can built trading posts and mines? Hmm.

I tried the basics of this strat last night but I still fight with happiness. By 100 AD I was conquering another civ, but I was a little behind the leaders on tech and wonders. I had only had 1 golden age. I was also in the negative on money, but that is because I had built so many farms. My plan was to build farms on rivers (they become 4 food fairly early on AND have 1 gold for the golden ages) and trading posts everywhere else.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 43