Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 43

Author Topic: Civilization V  (Read 70648 times)

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Civilization V
« Reply #420 on: March 14, 2012, 01:55:24 am »

I also prefer Civ 4. My main issues with Civ 5 are that the AIs are super boring and, of all the Civ games, Civ 5 is by far the slowest with the least to do in the endgame. I always get bored around 1700 or so. By contrast, Civ 4 BTS is by far the best about staying interesting throughout the course of the game.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: March 14, 2012, 04:40:32 am »

I also prefer Civ 4. My main issues with Civ 5 are that the AIs are super boring and, of all the Civ games, Civ 5 is by far the slowest with the least to do in the endgame. I always get bored around 1700 or so. By contrast, Civ 4 BTS is by far the best about staying interesting throughout the course of the game.

Stop right there.

Has anyone just played the original civ 4, the buggy one where the AI was crap, not to mention didn't know how to make an economy until the first expansion? Where combat was even worse and the random rolls were always stacked against you?

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: March 14, 2012, 05:00:37 am »

Has anyone just played the original civ 4, the buggy one where the AI was crap, not to mention didn't know how to make an economy until the first expansion? Where combat was even worse and the random rolls were always stacked against you?

Yes really he should have said he prefers Civ 4, with the two massive expansions and all the bug fixes, to Civ 5. In which case I would agree with him.
Vanilla Civ 4 is not as good as Civ 5. I'm mostly waiting for equivalents to warlord and beyond the sword to come out.

Of course unfortunately for the devs Civ 5 came out when everyone was used to the expansions so they really should have been trying to make it as good as the whole set, not just the original. Bad move on their part imo, as Civ 5 just isn't as fun.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: March 14, 2012, 12:07:52 pm »

Are we now comparing Civ 4 out of the gate with Civ 5 on first release? Yeah I think Civ 4 still wins on both the metrics I mentioned.

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: March 14, 2012, 04:07:45 pm »

I missed the darn sale...
Everybody!

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: March 14, 2012, 05:34:46 pm »

I got Korea, Denmark, Spain, Inca, Polynesia, and Babylon for just under $10.

...I still feel cheated.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: March 14, 2012, 09:17:40 pm »

I love Civ III the bestest.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: March 15, 2012, 04:31:25 am »

Are we now comparing Civ 4 out of the gate with Civ 5 on first release? Yeah I think Civ 4 still wins on both the metrics I mentioned.

I disagree. The raw Civ 4 was a very simplistic beast, and other than variation of terrain I think most of the Civ 5 changes are an improvement.
I must say though I think it's a shame that they've basically removed any significant difference between terrain tiles in terms of what they give your cities, kinda makes it so it doesn't matter where you settle.
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: March 15, 2012, 05:39:36 am »

I disagree. The raw Civ 4 was a very simplistic beast, and other than variation of terrain I think most of the Civ 5 changes are an improvement.
I must say though I think it's a shame that they've basically removed any significant difference between terrain tiles in terms of what they give your cities, kinda makes it so it doesn't matter where you settle.

Maybe with regards to basic terrain types... but when you consider buildings which improve existing resource yield (e.g. granaries giving +1 food for certain worked items), building/wonder requirements for an adjacent mountain (e.g. observatories require adjacent mountain and give +50% science), building/wonder requirements for specific resources (e.g. circus requires horses or ivory and gives +2 happiness with no maintenance), and such, you're still dealing with a lot of choices to consider. It's certainly possible to get by if you don't maximize potential but it's still worth trying to nab certain locations over others.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: March 15, 2012, 10:04:27 am »

Maybe with regards to basic terrain types... but when you consider buildings which improve existing resource yield (e.g. granaries giving +1 food for certain worked items), building/wonder requirements for an adjacent mountain (e.g. observatories require adjacent mountain and give +50% science), building/wonder requirements for specific resources (e.g. circus requires horses or ivory and gives +2 happiness with no maintenance), and such, you're still dealing with a lot of choices to consider. It's certainly possible to get by if you don't maximize potential but it's still worth trying to nab certain locations over others.

Possibly it's more varied than I made out but it feels much less of a choice than when playing Civ4. Of course it could just be that because the min/max in Civ4 was so common they wanted to change it to something more flexible.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: August 02, 2012, 04:32:13 am »

So I recently picked up the expansion, Gods and Kings, over the Steam Sale and just now got around to playing it.

I think it really added a lot of things that was sorely needed in the original game. I still can't really determine what kind of long term impact religion as a whole does (I don't think there's a way to win by religion), but I take a few advances that give me a decent chunk of change for converting enough people.

Still don't like the whiney city-states though, and there doesn't seem to be a way to smother them in culture in order to peacefully bring them to my side.

I am at the point where they have crossbows, and I have gatling guns, though...
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: August 02, 2012, 04:39:32 am »

So I recently picked up the expansion, Gods and Kings, over the Steam Sale and just now got around to playing it.

I'd also recommend this expansion to anyone who has the game. Reglion and spys as a lot to the game both in depth and balance, the new sides are nice now. It also means ICS works again though.

I think it really added a lot of things that was sorely needed in the original game. I still can't really determine what kind of long term impact religion as a whole does (I don't think there's a way to win by religion), but I take a few advances that give me a decent chunk of change for converting enough people.

You can't win with religion but they can effect most aspects of the game, from generating units to improving happiness and science.

Still don't like the whiney city-states though, and there doesn't seem to be a way to smother them in culture in order to peacefully bring them to my side.

There is a side who's unique ability is to buy city-states they are allied to. But I think that is the only peaceful way.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: September 03, 2012, 09:42:16 am »

I'm looking for a fairly specific mod, I know that there was one for civ iv that did exactly this but I can't remember the name so I can't find anything similar for civ v:

basically, I look for a mod that changes the 'maraton' turn length unit cost, so that it takes the same as in a normal game to build a unit but it takes the long game amount of time to build a structure/perform research/earn money/build improvement etc

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: September 03, 2012, 11:29:10 am »

I'm looking for a fairly specific mod, I know that there was one for civ iv that did exactly this but I can't remember the name so I can't find anything similar for civ v:

basically, I look for a mod that changes the 'maraton' turn length unit cost, so that it takes the same as in a normal game to build a unit but it takes the long game amount of time to build a structure/perform research/earn money/build improvement etc

Disclaimer: The Mod Wiki Recommends you don't edit the files in your Civ Folder.  Instead set any edited files up in a Mod Folder

I poked around in the game files, and I think all you'd need to do is go to your assets/Gameplay/XML/GameInfo/CIV5GameSpeeds.xml  Open it with notepad, and edit the  TrainPercent variable in the following bit of code:

Code: [Select]
<GameSpeeds>
<Row>
<ID>0</ID>
<Type>GAMESPEED_MARATHON</Type>
<Description>TXT_KEY_GAMESPEED_MARATHON</Description>
<Help>TXT_KEY_GAMESPEED_MARATHON_HELP</Help>
<DealDuration>90</DealDuration>
<GrowthPercent>300</GrowthPercent>
<TrainPercent>300</TrainPercent>

Looking at the other game speeds, it looks like the values are as follows:

300 Marathon
150 Epic
100 Standard
67  Quick

And if you want to experiment i'd suggest:

1    Zerg Rush

Setting it to 0 could prevent the game from running properly.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 11:34:02 am by Vactor »
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: September 03, 2012, 12:33:12 pm »

Keep in mind that you're going to end up with a heavily militaristic game where you steamroll any AI stupid enough to erect a building.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 43