Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 43

Author Topic: Civilization V  (Read 71177 times)

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Civilization V
« Reply #450 on: December 20, 2012, 04:14:16 pm »

RAWR!

Got annoyed by tantrum spirals on DF. Move over to EU3. Get annoyed by DoW spirals. Move over to Civ5. Get annoyed by denouncement spirals.

Hoooly cow.

"Hey man your newest city is a little close, back off bro, k?" "kk, soz"

"YOU ARE DESPICABLE"
"YOU ARE DESPICABLE"
"YOU ARE DESPICABLE"
"GERMANY DECLARES WAR!"
"MONTEZUMA DECLARES WAR!"
"CITY-STATES DECLARE WAR!"

Come on D:

Otherwise, I'm having quite a bit of fun, but I'm so slooow. I don't know how the AI managed to out-tech, out-expand, and out-produce me so easily!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: December 20, 2012, 04:37:07 pm »

A good start makes all the difference.  In cIV I am a money mongering brute, but in Civ I war-mongerer.  I expand as fast a happiness let's me.  Rome was (haven't played since before Gods/Kings first came out) my favorite civ. . .  After an initial war or two to free up some expansion room I'd wait until I could put out praets, or at least siege.  Then I sit back, pump out praets, and watch the world hate me.  I'd sell resources to dangereous civs, and watch them break it to DoW me.  Then the praet attack launches and I leave them with burning cities.  Even city-state alliances were means of convienence rather than actually needed.  Food helped alot though.  I'd take over the closest city-state, then slowly launch attacks on the others.  phhh, get mad at me for winning, but you can't stop me.

Good times.  But how is the game now?  Are they 'balance/better/not crazy, randomly acting psychos'?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: December 20, 2012, 04:48:16 pm »

How did Firaxis manage to break Civ V so badly that it crashes and freezes randomly (and repeatedly) while trying to play, and after playing for a few hours in separate sessions, it now won't even go past the initial loading screen anymore (after the logos and initial intro video) in DX 10/11 mode, even after validating the game's cache?

... That's odd... It seems to be able to start up as long as I put the focus on another window as soon as I start Civ V (e.g. click another window on another monitor, since it is borderless fullscreen windowedness). At least, it successfully reached the main menu twice by doing that, and I was able to load a saved game just now*, and every other time I've tried starting it and kept the focus on Civ V it only reached ~160 MB of memory usage and then CPU usage by Civ V dropped to 0% and it just sat there forever, doing nothing, until terminated.

* After loading that saved game, and clicking over to this window and then back to Civ V (without having clicked the button which you get for getting into the game once it finishes loading), both monitors went black and when they came back a couple seconds later, Civ V was gone. I can only presume it fled into the night.

This is madness!

Edit: Rebooting solved the 'does not get past initial loading' issue (apparently windows downloaded some updates and wanted to install them, but didn't bother to tell me), but not the crashing, but I discovered that it was using too much video memory, and by turning down certain settings I reduced the video memory usage and have now eliminated all the crashing (it had put everything on high automatically when I first started it, and it had seemed to run smoothly so I didn't think anything of it at the time). So that is nice.

It would have been nice, however, if there were any kind of message displayed when the video card runs out of VRAM, instead of stuff just quitting silently.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 09:33:06 am by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: December 29, 2012, 01:57:19 am »

For those waiting for Gods and Kings to be on discount, this weekend it's 85% off on Green Man Gaming and you can still get 30% further off (code: GMG30-DPLIM-DN831). That is a total discount of 85% + (30% x 15%) = 89.5%. And yes, activates on Steam.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: December 29, 2012, 03:17:22 am »

I can't see it, are deals area specific?
it's at 29.99 to me.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: December 29, 2012, 03:22:31 am »

Don't see it here either.

Edit: apparently the deal only works on Sunday. =| No wonder.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: December 30, 2012, 05:09:03 am »

Don't see it here either.

Edit: apparently the deal only works on Sunday. =| No wonder.

Nope, GMG lied. They cancelled off some of these deals. -_-a

EDIT: Finally their website is updated with the 85% discount they promised. Not sure what took them so long.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 07:16:07 am by BuriBuriZaemon »
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: December 30, 2012, 09:37:05 am »

Well, that sucks. I tried to get G&K, but despite the site saying they accept Paypal, Paypal just kicks me back to GMG before the final confirmation. The GMG site says that the 'payment provider has not authorized your purchase, because some banks believe GMG to be a gambling site.' But what does that matter at all? That's why I'm using Paypal.

I didn't want to do so in the first place, but I can't even pay directly with either of my cards because they're apparently not eligible for Verified by Visa's online purchases.

Welp. Guess I don't want G&K after all.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 10:49:14 am by Niveras »

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: December 30, 2012, 10:37:02 am »

Got it now at 3.15€

Thanks, didn't know that other site.

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: December 30, 2012, 11:06:51 am »

Yeah I'm having trouble purchasing from Green Man Gaming too. A shame, really.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: December 30, 2012, 12:07:24 pm »

Sales on for me now too yey! $3.15 is a damn good deal.

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: December 31, 2012, 12:41:39 am »

Huh. Paying with Paypal now WORKS, it seems. I didn't even change anything, maybe they ran out of keys previously?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: December 31, 2012, 03:49:12 am »

Greece, stop fucking about >.>

If you ask me to join a war, do not dive out of it the moment I join! Now everyone thinks I'm a warmonger!

You have been trolled by civ Ai?

I guess it got better in a later patch.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: December 31, 2012, 10:56:09 am »

My roomie picked up Gods & Kings yesterday, I tried it out last night. Got some nice improvements, although I can't help but think "Okay, so they put back most of the things they left out from Civ 4 (more resources, embassies/spies, religion, more granular combat system)."  ???

I do like the way you can "build" your own religion. Basically a batch of bonuses for you to custom-tailor. Also like the fact that several of the available bonuses get the most benefit from spreading your religion to foreign lands. You can make a money-grubbing religion, a warrior religion, a religion of knowledge and learning, etc. And the Byzantines get an extra bonus to stick in there.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: December 31, 2012, 11:24:22 am »

While I wish it was in the original release, the way they did religions in Gods and Kings is much better depth-wise than what they did in Civ4 imo. There's a lot of decision making involved depending on your local resources and needs. In Civ4 they were pretty much only good for cash and diplomacy.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 43