Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 43

Author Topic: Civilization V  (Read 70632 times)

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Civilization V
« Reply #465 on: December 31, 2012, 11:30:16 am »

I bought it on (super) sale too, but so far I have only been toying with the steampunk scenario.
Which I love.
But all this religion stuff seems interesting, I should really start a normal game.

edit: bought the expansion, I mean.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 11:34:28 am by andrea »

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: December 31, 2012, 11:31:57 am »

Got the base game on christmas. My best two runs? Ottomans, and the Greeks. I'd gotten to gunpowder, and then Queen Elizabeth invaded the Ottomans.
Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: December 31, 2012, 12:20:54 pm »

I've beaten the vanilla game once so far with China (really, who else did you expect me to play on my first runthrough?)

I still didn't realize you didn't need roads to any resource in your area of influence though, so I had roads all over the damn place. Despite that, I had something like 10000 gold towards the end of the game, before finally winning a Conquest victory.

Fired up a game with G&K last night as the Byzantines. Was stuck on the polar end of a peninsula, trapped behind Roman expansion. Thought Augustus and me were all cool and everything, had a declaration of friendship and embassies and shit, and then BAM...the Roman purple horde comes over my borders looking for blood. Not cool, Caesar...not cool. Especially since I'm basically your descendant!  :P

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: January 15, 2013, 08:25:05 am »

If anyone still plays, do me a favor and download the mod I put together and let me know if you run into any issues.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=120547096

This mod displays local happiness and building maintenance in the city view screen for easy review. It is pretty helpful for me and you can activate it even with saved games.

I haven't tested it without Gods and Kings or on a non-small UI. I'd like to know if anyone runs into issues on with those settings.

In case you've never done it...

To activate a mod, first subscribe to it in the Steam Community Workshop and let it download. Then open Civ V and select "mods" from the main menu. Click the check box next to "Fikes - Cityview UI update" and hit next. On the next screen that pops up you can select single player and "setup game" for a new game, or load an older one.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 10:08:43 am by Fikes »

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: February 03, 2013, 10:44:20 am »

I hate steam now. WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU ADVERTISE THE WORKSHOP, LET ALONE RELEASE IT, IF ONE HALF OF THE USERS(The Mac users, to be percise) CAN'T USE IT?

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: February 03, 2013, 11:46:43 am »

You can download my file from Civfanatics as well, but it is currently in the moderation queue. http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=20743

I am probably 1/2 way done with Version 3, which will add buttons to filter down production options, a preview can be found in this tread: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=12195018#post12195018

I am open to any ideas for the mod and would love someone to design the buttons so I don't have to.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: February 03, 2013, 02:19:42 pm »

I hate steam now. WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU ADVERTISE THE WORKSHOP, LET ALONE RELEASE IT, IF ONE HALF OF THE USERS(The Mac users, to be percise) CAN'T USE IT?
If you look at the Steam statistics, Mac users account for less than 0.05 of all Steam users.

Pretty far from one half.

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: February 03, 2013, 02:21:39 pm »

If you look at the Steam statistics, Mac users account for less than 0.05 of all Steam users.

Oh. Well... I feel like an idiot now.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: February 03, 2013, 02:22:42 pm »

Intel Mac users have access to Windows.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: February 03, 2013, 02:54:37 pm »

Intel Mac users have access to Windows.
Yeah, but if they were running Windows on their Mac, they wouldn't really have the problem OREOSOME is having.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: February 03, 2013, 03:20:04 pm »

Civ V is pretty fun, but the AI is definitely braindead. I feel they tried to make them behave too much like a rational real world civilization, and did such a poor job that they just end up being impotently indecisive. Making them act like a human player instead of modeling 'personalities' related to the civilization's history would've made things more interesting. I also really wish I could put the heads of killed spies on pikes at my city entrances, to warn them about the 30+ spies that have been slaughtered there.

Incidentally, Babylon is just ridiculous. I was able to hit the medieval era at 1600 BC using the free great scientist. That, combined with having every wonder (except for the mountain ones) meant that it was an insane roflstomp once I got around to massacring their pikemen with paratroopers.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #476 on: February 06, 2013, 10:01:21 pm »

I used to think Civ V was pretty good. Until I decided to get the dust off ol' CIV IV with mods. Never looked back.

And yes, the AI has severe issues with being indecisive (except monty who loves to buttrape you all the time). However the one unit per tile system brought a much more interesting tactical aspect to the combat which is the only thing I could say I miss in civ IV.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: February 06, 2013, 10:11:51 pm »

I'm kind of shocked that Civ V is played so much (see the daily stats on Steam). Considering the 'the more cities you make or conquer, the more your empire will suck' mechanic, which in my experience makes it far, far, easier to win as a single city than as a multi-city empire, I'm surprised anyone plays it at all.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: February 07, 2013, 01:56:40 am »

It's almost as if not everyone likes the same things!

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: February 07, 2013, 02:53:54 am »

I used to think Civ V was pretty good. Until I decided to get the dust off ol' CIV IV with mods. Never looked back.

And yes, the AI has severe issues with being indecisive (except monty who loves to buttrape you all the time). However the one unit per tile system brought a much more interesting tactical aspect to the combat which is the only thing I could say I miss in civ IV.

Yeah, I personally loved the hexes and the one unit per tile part, but everything else in the game just seemed lacking. Played one game, enjoyed it a bit, went back to Alpha Centauri whenever I need my Civ fix.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 43