Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 43

Author Topic: Civilization V  (Read 70642 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Civilization V
« Reply #480 on: February 07, 2013, 08:08:41 am »

It's almost as if not everyone likes the same things!
I don't understand. What do you mean not everyone likes the same thing? Where would you get such crazy ideas?

Considering the 'the more cities you make or conquer, the more your empire will suck' mechanic
You realize that there are about half a dozen ways to avoid that right? You simply have to understand the game. There are ways to play a perfectly viable large conquering empire and mitigate the unhappiness and corruption which comes from such a large empire. Its also possible to win with a small empire. You can play whichever way you want, and its not as simple as "Conquer every city".
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 08:10:14 am by forsaken1111 »

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: February 07, 2013, 01:34:14 pm »

I used to think Civ V was pretty good. Until I decided to get the dust off ol' CIV IV with mods. Never looked back.

And yes, the AI has severe issues with being indecisive (except monty who loves to buttrape you all the time). However the one unit per tile system brought a much more interesting tactical aspect to the combat which is the only thing I could say I miss in civ IV.

Yeah, I personally loved the hexes and the one unit per tile part, but everything else in the game just seemed lacking. Played one game, enjoyed it a bit, went back to Alpha Centauri whenever I need my Civ fix.
This would probably be my situation too.

The one unit thing is really great for strategy. But everyone else is pretty meh. I would say the biggest problem is pacing. Civ 5 has absolutely no idea about pacing at all. Most of the Civs never had it unless you modded. The first few periods of history were great, then once you reach WW2 era everything just zooms by so fast and suddenly the game is over.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: February 07, 2013, 01:49:42 pm »

Why do I keep opening this thread when I know I'll just find stuff that makes me jealous ;_;
Steam Support can't figure it out either.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: February 07, 2013, 01:58:08 pm »

I keep seeing this pop up again and hoping to hear news on a new Expansion. Oh well.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: February 27, 2013, 10:03:47 am »

I'm kind of shocked that Civ V is played so much (see the daily stats on Steam). Considering the 'the more cities you make or conquer, the more your empire will suck' mechanic, which in my experience makes it far, far, easier to win as a single city than as a multi-city empire, I'm surprised anyone plays it at all.

Considering infinite/endless city sprawl is widely regarded as being the most overpowered way to play this game (especially if you do it with the mayans) I'm not sure your point, as stated, is that valid.

Although I'm happy to agree lot of the mechanics do indeed suck, and yet somehow I've managed to clock up a few hundred hours on the game...
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: March 15, 2013, 09:54:46 am »

No one else going to post this? Anyone?
Fine.
New Expansion pack announced! Comes out this summer. Brave New World.

Notable features being internation trade routes, with actual caravans/tradeships on the map that can be attacked while they auto move back and forth on their trade routes.

Revamped Culture system and Tourism. Your great people can make works of art, songs, paintings etc. which can be placed in building like museum to attract tourism, plus a more hands on cutlure victory (which I have trouble understanding atm).

And Arceology. Old barbarian camps wiped out, sites of old battles etc. have a chance of being saved when they occur, then when you get into more modern ages, arceological digs will appear to provide cultural artifacts etc.

Ideologies. More late game focus on picking Autocracy, Freedom, or Order. Seperate from the policies.

All the details here:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/03/15/civilization-v-brave-new-world-preview/

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: March 15, 2013, 10:08:41 am »

Also Poland?  With winged hussars?  Just when I think I'm out, they drag me back in...

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: March 15, 2013, 10:10:14 am »

Sounds like it could be fun
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

baggiop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: March 16, 2013, 12:45:43 pm »

My brother love to play civ V :)

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: December 22, 2013, 02:48:21 am »

This is a necro, but Civ V is on steam sale now for 75% off for the next couple of hours.

I have played CIV very heavily in the past, but never wanted to spend big bucks for this one considering the mixed reviews.

Did the AI end up getting improved? I have purchsed the gold edition, so I'm hoping its not as bad as I have heard.

Also, I might be up for some online sessions with B12ers in a few weeks once I get past some deadlines if anybody is interested.
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: December 22, 2013, 05:31:23 am »

I'm kind of shocked that Civ V is played so much (see the daily stats on Steam). Considering the 'the more cities you make or conquer, the more your empire will suck' mechanic, which in my experience makes it far, far, easier to win as a single city than as a multi-city empire, I'm surprised anyone plays it at all.

Yeah I know this is a really old post...

I had a long post typed up, but TL;DR: look at the achievement stats. Almost nobody has won on king or above, most people play on prince or lower.

Prince and lower are VERY VERY easy to win on, you get so many bonuses and the AI is so dumb anyone with any strategy experience should be able to stomp the computer with no trouble.

So I can only conclude most people don't care about strategy, or depth, or good mechanics, or challenging AI, or anything like that. They just want to mindlessly build cities and watch the pretty explosions while the computer flails around uselessly suiciding it's units at your army.

Civ 5 is good for that, at least.

This is a necro, but Civ V is on steam sale now for 75% off for the next couple of hours.

I have played CIV very heavily in the past, but never wanted to spend big bucks for this one considering the mixed reviews.

Did the AI end up getting improved? I have purchsed the gold edition, so I'm hoping its not as bad as I have heard.

Also, I might be up for some online sessions with B12ers in a few weeks once I get past some deadlines if anybody is interested.

I only have gods + kings, not brave new world (which is what you have if you bought gold), but no - they never really fixed the AI. It's better then it was, but it's still pretty terrible and relies on massive cheats to provide any sort of challenge at all.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: December 22, 2013, 05:38:15 am »

I wouldn't rely on steam's achievment system for statistics. It's very finicky, and not all that accurate (also, doesn't register if you're offline). That, or the world is a rather strange place.

I mean, according to steam statistics, only 73.4% of the people who own portal 2 have ever started the single player campaign. Only a good 40% have finished it.

Edit: additionally; the same statistics would suggest that only a good 60-70% have really played civilization.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 05:47:20 am by 10ebbor10 »

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: December 22, 2013, 05:45:33 am »

I suppose it's not perfectly accurate, but I mostly believe it.

I have a LOT of games I have never gotten around to starting, and I know a LOT of people who play games for a few hours then stop, never finishing at all.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: December 22, 2013, 07:00:36 am »

Hmm. I -thought- I bought gold, but apparently not. It's just gods and kings also.

Welp, it works well enough on my lappies intel core i5 with the graphics set low.

I have enjoyed an hour session so far. The tech tree seems quite reduced to Civ four, but the choice in various civilization leaders was reasonable. I guess this is because of the various DLC stuff I got with this version.

Also, the UI of course is very nice and polished.
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: December 22, 2013, 05:40:11 pm »

Also, the UI of course is very nice and polished.
Is it ?
I don't know if it's just the "normal" view (as opposed to the Strategic one), but I can't find half the things I am looking for with a glance, after 20 hours of playing it ...
It may be related to the fact that I used to play with the strat view only when it came out (had a low spec laptop...), but I only play with it now, as I can't dissociate the units. Especially after playing civ4 in the previous days (or Fall For Heaven, to be more precise...).
Only the fact that you can't know what is the current research when on the city screen... :/
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 43