Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Would this fix the blood FPS problem?  (Read 15290 times)

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Would this fix the blood FPS problem?
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2010, 11:03:42 pm »

Instead of just boiling blood, why not make it flammable when exposed to air, as well?

Urist McBrewer cancels Brew Drink, got a splinter from the barrel.
*BOOM*

Explosive suicide squad with dwarves that blow up at the first blood they bleed taking the enemies with them?

Might be interesting. But might lead to limbs and equipment flying everywhere...
Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

Olith McHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2010, 01:33:50 am »

Looking at the source for dfcleanmap, I think what it does is got through the map and replace all splatters/pools/etc. with a null object. I don't think the size of the list of splatters on each tile is reduced. I'm not sure how expensive it is for df to process a null object, but it can't be free.

Instead of just boiling blood, why not make it flammable when exposed to air, as well?

Urist McBrewer cancels Brew Drink, got a splinter from the barrel.
*BOOM*

Hey, it solves the pathfinding problem too!

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2010, 03:39:15 am »

In init settings, there's an option to turn on the FPS counter. Animals being locked up in one way or another will help a bit, but I still claim it's dwarves that dish out most of the pathfinding FPS damage. You can argue there's no conclusive evidence, but plenty of stories tell of how forts can greatly delay FPS damage by limiting population. There are also stories of mature forts with low FPS which suddenly get really low FPS when invaders appear - some people used the FPS counter as an advanced radar for when ambushers spawned on the map as it turned from 20-ish to 6-ish.

One thing not yet taken into account are cavern critters (especially those in unexplored  parts of the cavern,
that exist [in each of the 3 cavern layers] but donīt appear anywhere on your unit menu)
Another possibility would be pathing of HFS (if they already exist before breaching into their location and arenīt all just c5reated afterwards)

The first one definitely requires pathing, probably in a complex terrain, due to the layout of the cavern, with lots of ramps leading up and down

xellas84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2010, 04:08:54 am »

Well there's a simple way to test this theory of the pathfinding being the problem.

Go in to your 2 fps fort.  Turn off every skill on every dwarf (Probably want to use DwarfTherapist for that).  Make a burrow just big enough to hold all the dwarfs, stick them all inside, lock doors so they can't get out.  See if any FPS comes back, what with the pathfinding being truncated away from 90% of the map.
Urist McSpearfwarf: RARRR... I'm a big bad Falcon Demon named Murray who doesn't know what a Legendary Miner is. I'm a MONSTAAA! RARRRR! Oh, oh, pick in my brain. Down I go.

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2010, 04:15:59 am »

In init settings, there's an option to turn on the FPS counter. Animals being locked up in one way or another will help a bit, but I still claim it's dwarves that dish out most of the pathfinding FPS damage. You can argue there's no conclusive evidence, but plenty of stories tell of how forts can greatly delay FPS damage by limiting population. There are also stories of mature forts with low FPS which suddenly get really low FPS when invaders appear - some people used the FPS counter as an advanced radar for when ambushers spawned on the map as it turned from 20-ish to 6-ish.

One thing not yet taken into account are cavern critters (especially those in unexplored  parts of the cavern,
that exist [in each of the 3 cavern layers] but donīt appear anywhere on your unit menu)
Another possibility would be pathing of HFS (if they already exist before breaching into their location and arenīt all just c5reated afterwards)

The first one definitely requires pathing, probably in a complex terrain, due to the layout of the cavern, with lots of ramps leading up and down

If you use dfreveal your unit list will show every unit in the entire embark area. Most places i've used it have5-20 demons wandering below, except for good areas, which i think might be messed up in my install because i never get any wildlife at all outside of cave creatures and vermin, and no demons are there either. I've never pierced HFS in one of them, but who knows if that would even work.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
Pages: 1 2 [3]