Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Fractal Artifact?!  (Read 25876 times)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Fractal Artifact?!
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2010, 11:15:24 pm »

Actually that data came about as a side effect of my attempt to make slade warhammers, and a claim posted by someone saying that slade couldn't be moved (it could). I wondered just how heavy that lump of rock was, and from there how big it was. I just wanted a mental image for humor value. This message took longer to type than that number took to figure out.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
  • Builds everything out of cobaltite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2010, 11:28:01 pm »

... Dwarfs are crazy.

So of all the things you can do in DF, it's the fractal artifacts that make you think dwarves are crazy.

Never mind the magma falls, the atom smashers, the cog-and-axle turing-complete computers, or the colonizing of Hell itself... all those are fine, but man, those recursive artifacts! Where do they get such ideas?
I feel the need to address this post!

All that stuff you mentioned is directed by the player, reflecting the player's state of mind. Things like artifacts, engravings, and decorations are purely products of the dwarfs, and that's why I said dwarfs are crazy.

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2010, 11:28:20 pm »

I just got sigged by two people, from the same comment, in two different ways, and one of them took a bit of effort to figure out. I feel highly accomplished.

Also, I think we should stop talking about all these gold ingots and recursive universes and focus on the real problem: Urist Imiknorris is an evil supercomputer.

(Actually, let's not stop talking about the recursive universes. It's kind of interesting in a weird way. Reminds me of Ursula Vernon's Gearworld for some reason.)

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2010, 11:38:57 pm »

hmmm...the supercomputerness explains everything....i assume he is a supercomputer constructed of pumps, running firefox, playing dwarf fortress and BLOWING UP MY BRAIN! >_>
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

ZhangC1459

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2010, 11:40:02 pm »

... Dwarfs are crazy.

So of all the things you can do in DF, it's the fractal artifacts that make you think dwarves are crazy.

Never mind the magma falls, the atom smashers, the cog-and-axle turing-complete computers, or the colonizing of Hell itself... all those are fine, but man, those recursive artifacts! Where do they get such ideas?
I feel the need to address this post!

All that stuff you mentioned is directed by the player, reflecting the player's state of mind. Things like artifacts, engravings, and decorations are purely products of the dwarfs, and that's why I said dwarfs are crazy.

Oh.  Well in that case, how about the fact that a well-designed waterfall can offset the death of everyone a dwarf loves in terms of mood?

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2010, 11:47:07 pm »

not true...i have seen plenty of dwarfs go berserk surrounded by the mist of a 2x2 waterfall...
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

ZhangC1459

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2010, 12:01:22 am »

not true...i have seen plenty of dwarfs go berserk surrounded by the mist of a 2x2 waterfall...

And I've seen the opposite.  I suppose it depends on their personality.

God, i love this game

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2010, 11:08:43 pm »

Also, I think we should stop talking about all these gold ingots and recursive universes and focus on the real problem: Urist Imiknorris is an evil supercomputer.

Yes, but he is most likely just a simulation being run on a larger supercomputer which is being simulated by a larger supercomputer. which is simulated.

I like recursion. It's fun.

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2010, 01:48:23 am »

Yes I am. I'm assuming all boulders are the same volume.

Test: Native gold

[SOLID_DENSITY:19320]

Listed mass (1 gold nugget): 1352 kg

1352 kg
------------------ =0.06997929 m3 = 69.97929 L
  19320 kg/m3

YOU CANNOT BEST MY SCIENCE.

Yes, I can.  I best your science with common sense.  Why does a "gold nugget" have almost 17 times the mass of an average human male?

Clearly your units are way off.

Because you dig up all the other crap (stone) that comes with it. You don't just dig up a 70L nugget.
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?

ZhangC1459

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2010, 12:32:34 pm »

1352 kg
  19320 kg/m3

Yes, I can.  I best your science with common sense.  Why does a "gold nugget" have almost 17 times the mass of an average human male?

Because you dig up all the other crap (stone) that comes with it. You don't just dig up a 70L nugget.

No, because then the density is different.

It's actually a giant fucking chunk of gold. 

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2010, 02:13:45 pm »

You can prove nothing except that I'm sigging this.

<mass/density=volume>

No, because then the density is different.

It's actually a giant fucking chunk of gold. 

It's a chunk of gold big enough to build a wall out of. It produces enough gold to make a statue.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 02:15:43 pm by Urist Imiknorris »

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 21, 2010, 02:24:23 pm »

Well if you don't like it, it's a decal. You can scrape it off.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2010, 06:07:52 pm »

1352 kg
  19320 kg/m3

Actually, comparing the raws (0.31.13) to the Wikipedia page for gold ...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The raws list the solid_density at 19320 (what he used above) while the wiki shows "Density (near r.t.)     19.30 g·cm−3" ... which is equal to 19300 kg/m3.  Using the listed 19300 kg/m3, the value would come out to be 0.069979296066252587991718426501035 m3 (69.97929 L).

Urist, where did you get the mass from?  Validating that would provide an independent "proof" of your maths. ;)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2010, 06:26:36 pm »

I checked the weight of a gold nugget ingame. Toady has previously stated that as of 31.01, masses are given in kilograms. I'll try to find the quote.

EDIT:
Quote from: The Devlog, March 1 2010
Actually, the capital gamma (the weight/mass symbol) is a kilogram now, but we are still using the same symbol at this point.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 06:28:10 pm by Urist Imiknorris »

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 21, 2010, 06:36:09 pm »

I checked the weight of a gold nugget ingame.
From the trade window I'm guessing?  I've seen some high numbers for weight the few times I've ended up with raw ore/stone at my trade depot.

Toady has previously stated that as of 31.01, masses are given in kilograms. I'll try to find the quote.

EDIT:
Quote from: The Devlog, March 1 2010
Actually, the capital gamma (the weight/mass symbol) is a kilogram now, but we are still using the same symbol at this point.
So, this just leaves temperature.  The entry of 11915 Urists as the melting point doesn't really line up with the Kelvin, Centigrade or Fahrenheit scales ...
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5