Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Pipe Crafting, Smoking.  (Read 6501 times)

Urist McIsaac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pipe Crafting, Smoking.
« on: September 19, 2010, 05:05:49 pm »

After a long day of mining Urist McMiner needs to sit down and have a nice drink of his dwarven ale, and a long smoke on his fine crafted pipe.
I think it would be cool to make it so your dwarfs can cultivate smoke-able plants and craft pipes from wood, stone, metal, and jewels. Also you would be able to make smoking zones for your dwarfs, so the miasma like mist coming from the pipes won't bother your dwarfs you don't like smoking.   

hvlkn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pipe Crafting, Smoking.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 05:09:56 pm »

and if they get caught growing certain smokeable plants they can get locked up. Sounds fun

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 07:39:20 pm »

Maybe, but we don't need to get into illegal drugs, that just seems to far for dwarf fort, we don't need to make a political statement.
I don't see why this would be needed, but I mean, it could exists, as a little thing you can do to make dwarfs happy. Dwarfs buy pipes, and smoke when they are on break or something. Works for me.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz

Mckee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 07:51:07 pm »

It would add another aspect to dwarven personality. Urist: likes to smoke often, Smokes when stressed, smokes sometimes, dislikes smoking, hates smoking etc...

It adds an important trade good, which when the caravan and dimplomacy arcs are expanded, adds a layer of competition and possible conflict. Adds to agriculture too and provides a mature fort something else to deal with. Pipes are yet another craft and possible health aspects are interesting to say the least. Would give some none combat injuries to deal with eventually.
'What good is a lesson if your idiot is too dead to learn from it?'

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 08:50:54 pm »

You can add scrimshaw http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrimshaw (walrus and whale bone/tusk carving), bone pipes, meerschaum http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meerschaum, horn, vegetable crafting (corncob pipes/pigtail pipes), glassblowing (hookas), and ivory to the game
For they would be your masters.

truckman1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 10:05:10 pm »

What if various smokable had different side-effects for different situations? So some parallel to meth could make them able to work diligently, nonstop without needing to eat or sleep, but makes them extremely prone to tantrums.

Or during a siege of HFS, order your army to smoke some PCP so they can RIP AND TEAR.

edit: Oh, and it would be cool to make pipes out of elf skulls. Then find a way to light them with magma.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 10:07:21 pm by truckman1 »
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That's the point, it wouldn't be as fun to crush their souls if they didn't have souls to begin with.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 05:41:17 am »

I'd like to see that myself, especially since it would create an entire new industry for whatever crop is used; you'd need to grow it and cure it before it could be smoked and then it would finally be ready for consumption.  It would be even more interesting if said crop was only growable in a limited number of biomes to make it a useful and valuable trade good.

It should be one of those little things that make dwarves happy; when it becomes more difficult to keep dwarves happy, having ways for them to blow off steam will be much more important.  Pipes, games, musical instruments, bards and all that would be pretty essential alongside alcohol to keeping them happy and hard-working.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 08:43:56 am »

I agree. Dwarfs should get a happy thought from smoking and possibly some negative and positive effects and the more powerful the smoke plant, the better/worse the effects and the higher the chance of getting addicted. Addiction should cause a negative thought if the dwarf has not had his drug in a certain amount of time, the longer the time the worse the thought.

Dwarven leaders should attempt to ban a drug if it has killed enough dwarfs.

Auto Slaughter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 10:17:23 am »

This is such an absolutely awesome idea.  Yes yes yes.  Fistfights should start from smokers lighting up in meeting areas around dwarves who dislike the smell of smoke.

Thumbs down on the idea of illegal drugs though, that would be totally anachronistic.  The earliest mention I've heard of illegal drugs is opium being outlawed in 18th centuring Qing China during the opium wars... at the same time opium and laudanum were entirely legal in Britain, which is part of why the British just thought the Chinese were being whiny legalist anti-free-trade authoritarians.

In the West drugs don't get outlawed until the 20th century (except maybe some pre-Prohibition "dry towns" in the U.S.)... after all the usual pseudo-conservative agitiation about "jazz weed" that only the degenerate lesser races of Negros and Mexicans smoked.  (But as far as making political statements... unrestricted and enthusiastic consumption of and addiction to booze, anyone?  The only reason that doesn't seem like a political statement, much less a drug addiction, is that it's not 1920.  Once industrial-level corporate interests developed for alcohol and tobacco developed they became unimpeachably acceptable social drugs.)

Love the idea of intoxicant effects for certain smokeables, though... greater focus and stamina from coca leaves (only grows in tropical biomes) or tobacco... a really great one would be opium addiction.  Dwarves become lethargic with increased risk of melancholy from opium, of course.  How about merchants bringing opium and addicted dwarves violating "broker trade only" and giving away all of their personal possessions, possibly stealing from others, to get their next fix?
Legendary Idler
“There's nothing better than a party that turns into a death trap.”

               — Russell T Davies, Doctor Who writer, speaking of some of his more popular plot lines

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 01:47:26 pm »

I'm just entertaining the wonderful idea of an exceedingly wealthy Dwarven Baron lying outstretched in his recreational area, smoking, whilst appearing skeletally thin with incredibly long fingernails and beard.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 11:35:00 pm »

Would be a nice addition to the syndrome system, if different material states could have different syndromes. Then flaming booze would be the least of your worries in a stockpile fire, hehe. Pipes, etc, would just be a handy and safe way of ensuring your dwarves -want- to smoke what you've defined as a droog in the raws, and then particularly unstable or moody dwarves could try experimenting with various forgotten beast excretions.

I also foresee amusing situations in adventure mode, with people trying to smoke cave spider venom, etc.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2010, 01:38:56 am »

Smoke !!Elf Blood!! you know you want to.

Urist McMick

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait... what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2010, 04:35:51 am »

I WANTS AN ELF SKULL BONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit: Also "Urdim McPothead cancels haul item: Freaking out"
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 04:42:25 am by Urist McMick »
In a World without Walls and Fences, who needs Gates and Windows?
You could bite into your computer screen, chipping teeth and fucking up the screen.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2010, 05:17:51 am »

What mannnnnnnn????

Urist McMick

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait... what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2010, 05:23:08 am »

What mannnnnnnn????

What? Can a man not dream of getting high from the skull of the Elf Queen?
In a World without Walls and Fences, who needs Gates and Windows?
You could bite into your computer screen, chipping teeth and fucking up the screen.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5