Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Planning vs. Execution  (Read 12715 times)

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planning vs. Execution
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2010, 06:09:08 am »

The "fort you actually built" looks way too neat and clean in design, it should be ten times shittier.

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:failures]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2010, 06:20:15 am »

on the left: six coffins and a legendary dorf clad in masterwork *spoiler* with an artifact *other spoiler* weapon
on the right: 411 used and another 1000 unused coffins, about half of which are holding novice metalsmiths. (for once a legendary dwarf actually did something)
Quote from: acetech09 date=1343968486
It's probably made from baby bone, with a handle of baby leather. Probably uses the leg bones wound together for the handle, the pelvis for the handle/pick joint, and the pick is the spine.

But that's all in theory, of course. Not like I've made a pick out of my own 5 month old baby before.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2010, 07:30:30 am »

On the Left: A nice beach. On the Right: A nice beach, with seven confused dwarves.

(I normally build without changing the surface, except for a small hole in a cliff face. But in most cases, I never manage to strike the earth, because I get lost in intricate plans beforehand)
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2010, 07:42:30 am »

On the left: an epic megaproject comprising anything from making an entrance through middle of unfreezing ocean by casting obsidian to making a functional fortress in middle of a volcano.
On the right: either
1) a 1/10 of aforementioned megaproject with seven dead dwarves because I didn't make food, booze and beds or
2) beginnings of a megaproject that got abandoned because I realised the insane amount of work needed to create it or
3) finished megaproject that got abandoned because it was far too easy to make.

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
  • I can't really make you love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2010, 08:43:15 am »

Left: well designed, efficient, functional, and well-rounded fortress with more than enough furnished housing for 200 dwarves.

Right: a half-carved well designed, efficient, functional, and well-rounded fortress occupied by goblins.

LilGunmanX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2010, 09:26:32 am »

On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

Holy shit that is the funniest thing I've read in a while.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2010, 10:22:44 am »

On the left: an industrial complex that spews out products from every industry in the game.

On the right: all the workshops and stockpiles for said complex is made but the fort has died FPS death before it really churned things out.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2010, 06:00:55 am »

Left: Elegant, efficient fortress with magnificent carved walls and plenty of room for dwarves to move around, filled with highly-skilled and dedicated dwarves who produce masterpiece goods.

Right: Half-dug mess of different designs with holes in the walls where ore or gems were found, 1000s of tiles travel between working areas and food/beds down narrow corridors, filled with 'temporary' stockpiles and stone, and entire industries shut down for years due to focusing on some other area or needing more 'temporary' haulers or furnace operators.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

NKDietrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2010, 10:08:54 am »

Left: Elegant, efficient fortress with magnificent carved walls and plenty of room for dwarves to move around, filled with highly-skilled and dedicated dwarves who produce masterpiece goods.

Right: Half-dug mess of different designs with holes in the walls where ore or gems were found, 1000s of tiles travel between working areas and food/beds down narrow corridors, filled with 'temporary' stockpiles and stone, and entire industries shut down for years due to focusing on some other area or needing more 'temporary' haulers or furnace operators.

How did you get a hold of my gamesave?!!

Arni

• Bay Watcher
  • Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2010, 10:34:35 am »

Left: A large catapult array, slaying HFS in a prepared maze

Right: Blood, gore and death...
Military and Militia. It's horrible

Comrade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2010, 04:51:36 pm »

On the right: I have 0 idlers, and half my workshops are empy, the rest are being worked on by novices, the experts are DOING JACK SHIT ONCE AGAIN.

That happens in real life, the experts know everything and don't give a rats ass. While the fresh meat do their best job.

Biopass

• Bay Watcher
  • Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2010, 05:07:37 pm »

On the left: A giant underground metropolis, population 200, with the cavern layers conquered and colonized, and towns built in each one. On the right: 3 FPS.
500 fps vanilla 4x4 embark. intel master race.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2010, 05:59:33 pm »

On the right: I have 0 idlers, and half my workshops are empy, the rest are being worked on by novices, the experts are DOING JACK SHIT ONCE AGAIN.

That happens in real life, the experts know everything and don't give a rats ass. While the fresh meat do their best job.

Except real life has these people called "managers" who are mostly either the experts who do their job well, so their "managers" induct them into the noble class or useless layabouts who the "managers" kicked into a "management" position so their fuckups won't hurt as much.

DF only has one of those guys and he/she actually does work.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Ragingpantsless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2010, 06:04:39 pm »

On the left: A grand spire made of soap.
On the right: Just soap. And tears.
"And if you look down in the boiler chamber, you'll see that our hot spring is powered by an ancient, unholy, cramped and extremely pissed forgotten beast."

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2010, 09:14:04 pm »

On the left: elf blood, dwarf guts, human heads and goblin parts splashed all over the countryside around a haphazardly-designed-yet-siegeproof deathtrap.

On the right: a happy, well-functioning fortress, with an abundance of food and trade goods.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4