Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Planning vs. Execution  (Read 12603 times)

OcelotTango

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planning vs. Execution
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2010, 09:42:32 pm »

On the left: A dwarven pleasure palace filled with everything a dwarf could possibly ask for.
On the right: A half complete version of said fortress 10 dwarf years later than I had anticipated the finished product.

Samrobot

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill it! Burn it! Just make sure it's dead!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2010, 11:20:11 pm »

Left: HUGE clear glass castle expanding to the magma see to the first cavern
Right: A bunch of dead dwarves and FB's
Dwarf Fortress: we take assisted suicide of minors very seriously!

ghosteh

• Bay Watcher
  • Free Charles Bronson
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2010, 08:00:39 am »

On the Left  - Rapture : Art Deco City of Art, Science and Industry

On the Right - Seven Drowned Dwarves
I've killed enough humans to know their patterns.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2010, 08:22:10 am »

On the left: Blazedheavens, a fortress of 5 z-level high and three square wide bronze walls, with masterpiece adamantine statues adorning the top, along with intricate deathtraps, protecting a homage to all dwarf's inner industrial soul within.

On the right: A bunch of bronze blocks, enraged elephants, and a legendary berserk axedwarf-on-fire that's killing everyone. Scared survivors building something amounting to a steel cave-in bomb with a pitchblende core.

LilGunmanX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2010, 09:44:47 am »

LEFT: Furnacelash, an impregnable fortress protected by retractable bridges, cage traps, and a giant leopard guardian at the front. The military is strong, with my Militia commander wielding Shasaroltar, "Frightgild", a golden battle-axe that menaces with spikes of gold and tells tales of a human being surrounded by giant leopards. Because of the heavily-protected outside, which only a flying creature with building destroyer would be able to breach, early expansion into the caverns occurs and we begin collecting mounds of giant cave spider webs and producing silk out of four looms within the first two or three years. We capture five naked mole dogs, kill a sixth, and then capture a troll, a giant frog, and a giant cave swallow. At fourty-something dwarfs strong, we're only waiting on the dungeon master now and we'll have a very capable army.

RIGHT: See, above. A goblin ambush occurs, and we become pinned inside the fortress. We've run out of alcohol due to our heavy expansion into the underground and our only real water source is outside, beyond the goblin contain. Our giant leopard heavily injures one of the goblins, while our orangutan shields it from the blows and dies a noble death. Separated, and with four of the seven goblins caged and the other two beyond the bridges, we're forced to make a move. The first of three, the injured loner, dies easily, and we take no injury. The other two slash and hack their way about and we lose a dwarf or two due to poor armoring. In our early years we had focused too heavily on the production of gold bars for trade and *secret projects*, so we were lax in all but our weaponry, in which we were strong in iron. Our golden giant leopard dies, a trade from the elves, and we lose the guardian and mascot of our fortress. Meanwhile, expansion into the underground is capturing us more creatures, but our weavers are all being eaten by one lone cave crocodile who even earned himself a name before falling into our cage traps. Our halls are filled with miasma, and with so many injured dwarfs it is hard to find a capable doctor. We try to set up an 'instant hospital, just add water', but experience failure without a single doctor dwarf in the name of our fortress. Dwarf and animal blood is pouring from every corridor, and the goblins are stinking up all the hallways.

ENGRAVING: The engraving is of a leopard haunt and goblins. The leopard haunt is in the fetal position. The goblins are laughing. The puce demons(?) are striking a triumphant pose.

(Yeah, one of our stoneworkers really liked puce demons.)

Jualin

• Bay Watcher
  • What's that sound?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2010, 10:43:13 am »

On the left: A circular fortress that towers off into the sky, self-sufficient, impregnable, and impressive. A modest army guards the gates. There are tunnels all across the map which allow covert movement of new migrants into the fortress.

On the right: The same, just half-constructed, with more space for bedrooms than everything else combined, a chronic food and water deficit, and goblins live there now. There will be an obsessive number of up/down stairs, making it easy for dwarves to move about but making it nigh impossible to contain any sort of threat whatsoever. In the third year, the food production of the entire fortress will be shut down by a single fox. The next year hoary marmots will attack, killing three.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2010, 10:54:38 am »

On the left: elf blood, dwarf guts, human heads and goblin parts splashed all over the countryside around a haphazardly-designed-yet-siegeproof deathtrap.

On the right: a happy, well-functioning fortress, with an abundance of food and trade goods.
that has happened to me too many times.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2010, 11:12:53 am »

On the left: A speedy, efficient fortress that imports living humanoids and exports bodyparts.

On the right: An efficient fortress that imports living humanoids and exports dwarf-time(0 FPS).
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Dadou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2010, 11:15:37 am »

On the left : Armok's Fortress of Epicness.

On the right : "Oh crap ! Carps !"
No magma, no Fun.

Gutanoth

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:ILLUSIONS OF GRANDEUR]
    • View Profile
    • Umomushil - the fortress of dark Ice, an overlord list compliant fort
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2010, 01:40:05 pm »

On the left: a magnificent inn, made of gold, clear glass and with 5 floors going up and 3 going down, each floor having a variety of rooms,  to serve different purposes from the obsidian bedroom with black cap bed and black bronze chains and weapons racks, to the clear glass dining rooms tthat allows you to watch the fish swim beneath you.

On the right: a barely started gold wall, with huge amounts of dwarves on the surface mingling and wasting time, while the ground beneath  holds a mismatch of smelting rooms and a large communal bedrooms. all of which are covered in some bloody pets blood.
Look at what a totally original signature this is.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2010, 02:37:01 pm »

On the left:  A thriving underground "surface" village built inside the caverns, with open-air passages and cliff-wall houses lining the mushroom fields while marksdwarves happily man the underground parapets, shooting at slugmen.

On the right:  Those horrible, ugly one-tile-wide cracky labyrinths because I forgot to change the worldgen settings for more openness.  Every workshop sitting out in the open, while the farms only take up four 3x4 chunks.  A jumbled hodgepodge of walls frantically closing up every spur of the cavern from floor to ceiling, and giant bats waiting just outside, chewing on dwarf heads. 
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2010, 03:54:48 pm »

on the left:

A human city, filled mostly with children and riches, exploited by dwarfs that wield weapons way to big for them.

On the right:

Dwarfen traders hunted down and beaten by mobs of children, fleeing in panic as they can not fight back.
Also dead liason.
Well fu---

They have been running around the city for a few ingame months now...

Sysice

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2010, 09:11:48 pm »

On the left, a few loose plans that would ensure survival and a general sense of Boatmurdered.
On the right, Boatmurdered.

Well, that or a peaceful fortress where nobody ever invades.  >:(
I managed to make a dog that bled bees.
Quote from: Threetoe
Imagine evil grass that looks like a mass of wriggling worms. Happy holidays!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2010, 09:23:30 pm »

Fuck The World just in case. You never know if ther's an ambush out there...
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2010, 09:24:12 pm »

Ok so my planning phase I was bored in precalc and started drawing. So basically I plan to have a doom fortress/tower. On the ground level is a giant circle with a star inscribed inside, each point on the star is an entrance. There will be archers boxes above each gate.

At the center of the circle-star a humongous tower rises up with several floors jutting out either at random or symmetrically. And under this is a super dungeon of doom, with secret passages, torture chambers, re-education facilities, prisons, and completely random rooms filled with platforms suspended over magma and masher devices for your main player character to travel through on his epic quest.

I have yet to execute this but I hope to very soon.

~darkrider

PS: The re-education facility is surprisingly similar to the torture chamber...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4