Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Planning vs. Execution  (Read 12600 times)

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Planning vs. Execution
« on: September 19, 2010, 09:54:11 pm »

My wife: "Are you playing that midget fort game again?"

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planning vs. Execution
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 10:01:54 pm »

for me, it would be a spiraling tower into the sky on the left, and a half finished one with dwarf corpses scattered around and lava rivers on the surface on the right.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 10:49:52 pm »

for me it is a small wooden fortress full of happy kobolds with herds of cattle in pens, fields of rope reed and whip vines and sun berries and longland grass (for export and booze) on the left.  on the right is a partially constructed  small wooden fortress full of gore and dead kobolds and cowering kobold pups.  the fields are razed, the walls are painted a rust brown from drying blood.  The remnants are scattered before the unstoppable killing force that has plagued their land in the second spring...FRAKKING ELVES! >:(
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

claer_runway

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 11:07:15 pm »

I never plan my forts. this shows, since about ninety percent of them end in the first year due to a bad case of too much water.
You can't program common sense.

like Skies of Arcadia?:
http://www.youtube.com/user/clearrunway

ZhangC1459

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 11:11:08 pm »

i never plan my forts beyond "ok, so for the room apartments I'm going to use that Raynard whirlpool thing from now on.  And the depot will have a deathtrap in it"

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 11:23:21 pm »

My fort plans go something like this:

Start new fort
Dig into ground
Find dirt
Make massive stockpile of epicness
Farm some stuff
Start metal industry
???
Profit
Build a "megaproject" or something like it
Get bored
Mod in some new stuff
Lose old fort to abandon/FPS/Windows/goblins/flood/combination of previous
Repeat
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 12:09:20 am »

On the left: A world paved over with black bronze.

On the right: A small pit in the ground because I got annoyed at the walls being different colours.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 12:28:42 am »

On the left: a fully organized workforce, each workshop has it's own dedicated legendary worker, churnming out mythic amounts of surplus.

On the right: I have 0 idlers, and half my workshops are empy, the rest are being worked on by novices, the experts are DOING JACK SHIT ONCE AGAIN.
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
  • Builds everything out of cobaltite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 12:43:28 am »

Left: smoothly operating metal industry that builds everything the fortress needs short of beds.

Right: a fortress where everything is built of wood and bone because there's no river and no wind to power the pumps.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 12:52:15 am »

Left a easy to defend fortress with a lot of traps on the right a half build defense mechanisms that was abandoned because I'm on an island.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2010, 01:25:07 am »

On the left: A vaguely planned loose collection of interesting bits that go together somehow.
Oh the right: The result of said plans.

Thadius

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:homemade coffee]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2010, 03:07:32 am »

On the left:  A fortress built on an island in the middle of the ocean, surrounding and thriving because of the volcano.  Somehow.

On the right: GORILLAS AND LEOPARDS.
If you accidentally lock the elves in the depot and wait until they're insane to capture them in cages and then lock the next group of elves in the depot and unleash the insane elves from their cages, that's still somehow your fault.

Urist McMick

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait... what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2010, 04:06:41 am »

On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.
In a World without Walls and Fences, who needs Gates and Windows?
You could bite into your computer screen, chipping teeth and fucking up the screen.

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2010, 04:22:17 am »

On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.
Sigged.

Shaio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2010, 05:31:00 am »

On the left, chaos, fire, death, magma, and dwarfs dying horribly. On the right, a peaceful fortress in which everything functions perfectly and no invaders seem to attack.

No i didn't get those the wrong way round.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4