Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Justifying embark sites  (Read 27392 times)

bumblepuppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Justifying embark sites
« on: September 20, 2010, 03:44:05 am »

We all know why we players pick the embark sites. Maybe you like a mountain with plenty of flux, a grassland full of elephants, or a swamp with lots of trees. What we don't often hear is how dwarves go about explaining to each other why they chose the location.

"Err, Urist, we passed a serene grassland a while back... why are we stopping in a terrifying desert?"

"Morden, didn't you see my bio? 'Likes zombie desert scorpions for their horrifying features'? I want our future fortress to be surrounded by these beautiful creatures!"

:D

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
  • Builds everything out of cobaltite.
    • View Profile
Re: Justifying embark sites
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 05:06:16 am »

I just assume the dwarfs under my command are either colonists sent out by the King to tame some parcel of land, or fortune-seekers looking for a likely place to strike it rich. Not much competition for zombie desert scorpion-infested land, is there?

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 05:31:15 am »

With the new site sprawl, a lot of the more mundane land has been long since settled  (unless it's a young world) so we're basically left with moving in to the wilderness if we want good opportunity.  I personally prefer settling Untamed Wilds as much as possible, not the least because I like the description and the creatures that show up there.

Of course, I suppose in general it's pretty hard to justify settling in the middle of a fetid, monster and undead-ridden swamp (not to mention all the other challenges of doing such a thing IRL, like disease)...
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 05:57:11 am »

To rebuild the population of draconians.
This place seemed perfect to build on. A volcano, brook, and more!
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 10:24:25 am »

Mandate from the king that someone go build a settlement there. All the justification you need.

Hell, at least going along with it gives you have a CHANCE of not being rendered into a horrible mess of mangled limbs and shattered bones by a *Steel War Hammer*.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 04:32:42 pm »

Trying to escape the migrants and nobles.

Yeah, that worked really well, now didn't it.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

The_Fool76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 05:23:13 pm »

The wagon broke down.
I mean what were they expecting hauling so much stuff in it? 

Urst Mc Geico: "Let me get this straight, you want me to pay for repairs on your wagon after you loaded it up with twenty five stone blocks, thirty barrels of food, another thirty of booze, an anvil, twenty five logs of wood, several bins of cloth and other medical supplies, several bags of seeds, two copper picks, one battleaxe, and a partridge in a pear tree? ... CLAIM DENIED!"
Tis far better to be a witty fool than a foolish wit.

Makbeth

• Bay Watcher
  • His lower body is melted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 06:45:48 pm »

Dwarven scouts found a volcano near iron-bearing carbonate rocks.  The king doesn't bother to read the wildlife section after that.  They're just seven dwarves, and it's not like any of them are legendary.  No great loss to the mountainhome.
Diso Faintpuzzles was born in 120.  Although accounts vary it is universally agreed that Diso was chosen by fate as the vanguard of destiny.

In the early spring of 143 Diso began wandering the wilds.

In the early spring of 143 Diso starved to death in the Horn of Striking.

NKDietrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 07:10:04 pm »

It's all just a genius ploy by the King to rid the mountain home of an overpopulation of unskilled immigrants.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 07:12:05 pm »

The king made a burrow in the most godforsaken area of the world and assigned dwarves he doesn't like to that burrow.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2010, 07:43:22 pm »

Urist the Miner: Excuse me, Expedition leader? would you mind telling us why we stopped ON TOP OF A GOBLIN TOWER?
Urist the Leader: What? Goblin tower? Where?
Urist the Miner: WE'RE ON TOP OF IT!
Urist the Leader:Oh, well I'll be damned.
Urist the Miner: How did you even get the wagon up here?
Urist the Leader: Clever bastards... Must've built it from right from beneath us!
Urist the Miner: Sir, that doesn't even make sense!
Urist the Leader: Oh quit yer bellyaching and go mine some ore, Obsidian doesn't make itself you know!
Urist the Miner: Yes it does! and besides that this tower is FILLED WITH GOBLINS!
Urist the Leader: Good point! Go mine some of those too while your at it!

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2010, 12:46:16 pm »

« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 02:43:24 pm by Particleman »

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2010, 07:21:43 pm »

Its perfectly flat, stream in the corner tons of trees and plants, no aquifers, chalk AND marble layers, sand, what's there that needs justification?  Oh don't mind that skeletal carp, I am sure that is just a fluke...  8)
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2010, 08:19:13 pm »

"Your majesty, seven random dwarves just stole a wagon, started babbling about an expedition and ran off with a large supply of goods. There's now an exodus of dwarves marching out behind them."

"Same as last year. Follow them, then send a wagon to their location in six months. If they're dead by then then too bad."
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2010, 08:56:03 pm »

It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
Pages: [1] 2 3