Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Justifying embark sites  (Read 27413 times)

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
Re: Justifying embark sites
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2010, 12:00:47 am »

Sigged.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Sysice

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2010, 12:58:55 am »

They played "Pin the Fortress on the World."
I managed to make a dog that bled bees.
Quote from: Threetoe
Imagine evil grass that looks like a mass of wriggling worms. Happy holidays!

Thadius

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:homemade coffee]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2010, 01:15:49 am »

I liken dwarves settling fortresses in random locations to us playing the lottery.

Everyone loses in the end, and those that don't become revered.
If you accidentally lock the elves in the depot and wait until they're insane to capture them in cages and then lock the next group of elves in the depot and unleash the insane elves from their cages, that's still somehow your fault.

vogonpoet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2010, 01:17:52 am »

Urist: It's 106 miles from the mountainhomes, we got a full wagon of gas, half a pick of cigarettes, it's dark down there, and we're wearing sunglasses.
Catten: Hit it.
Everything I know about reality, I learned from Dwarf Fortress.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2010, 03:29:12 am »

Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2010, 06:22:52 pm »

Urist: It's 106 miles from the mountainhomes, we got a full wagon of gas, half a pick of cigarettes, it's dark down there, and we're wearing sunglasses.
Urist: It's dark in these caves with sunglasses on. But Dwarves ALWAYS wear sunglasses!
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Canalan

• Bay Watcher
  • A Chainsaw! Find some meat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2010, 06:30:42 pm »

Urist: It's 106 miles from the mountainhomes, we got a full wagon of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark down there, and we're wearing sunglasses.
Sigged.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2010, 04:15:47 pm »

Urist: It's 106 miles from the mountainhomes, we got a full wagon of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark down there, and we're wearing sunglasses.
Sigged.

close...

Urist: It's 106 miles from the mountainhomes, we got a wagon full of booze, half a barrel of shrooms, it's dark down there, and we're wearing... these things, they're like bits of glass on wire...
Catten: Strike the earth!
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Interus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2010, 01:37:38 pm »

I suddenly wanted to write awhile ago, and started a fortress partially because of that, and partially because I really wanted to build my first fortress that's on a river.  The dwarf that led the expedition(I'm writing from his perspective) was bored with life in the mountainhome and was interested in building into a cliff face.  He heard about this area that scouts from his kingdom found.  A great river with massive cliffs around it, and a small stream providing the only access.  He found a few willing recruits, most of whom are easily angered, and set out into the swamp.  It wasn't that far, and it was a single dwarf's motivation that started things.

I also got really lucky, and the wagon landed like 5 or 6 tiles from the cliff so it was like they were looking over it.

So he settled in a mostly inaccessable area in the middle of a swamp simply because it appealed to him personally.

Ancre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2010, 02:38:59 am »

- Tell me again, why do we want to settle in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by undead elephants, with two layers of aquifer beneath us ?

- You remember those slate socks we were mandated to produce ?

- Oh. Right. Anything better than that !

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2010, 06:47:36 am »

They're dwarves, not elves. Why wouldn't they embark in a terrifying jungle filled with skeletal elephant herds?
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2010, 11:17:38 am »

I just assume the dwarfs under my command are either colonists sent out by the King to tame some parcel of land, or fortune-seekers looking for a likely place to strike it rich. Not much competition for zombie desert scorpion-infested land, is there?
Yeah, it's a sure bet that nobody's dug and mined there yet because it's got such an inflated terrifying reputation! Bet it's all just old wives tales and legends! I'm with you!

Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2010, 11:36:29 am »

Uhh. . . Boss. . .
Why are we embarked on a desert next to an ocean?
Urist McExpeditionLeader:Armok told us, that's why!
Whaa?
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2010, 01:05:42 pm »

There are 2 possible explainations.

1. The dwarfs were all brithed there by Armok to help keep dwarfs alive.
--OR--
2. They were high.
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2010, 01:41:32 pm »

There are 2 possible explainations.
1. The dwarfs were all brithed there by Armok to help keep dwarfs alive.
--OR--
2. They were high.
I think much the same would apply as to why some people are in Iraq/Afghanistan/Pakistan,
when they could be safe at home.

Naivete about the safety of the enterprise and greed and opportunism combined, and some
with religious delusions.
Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.
Pages: 1 [2] 3