Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: parry?  (Read 3782 times)

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
parry?
« on: September 20, 2010, 03:06:20 pm »

I watched a shieldless swordsman with a two-handed sword parry attacks just as effectively as if he had a shield. Is this a separate skill, a perk of Elite Swordsman, or an NPC only ability? I've never seen it before, or done it.

Thatdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: parry?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 03:22:10 pm »

Parrying is worked out the user's skill with said weapon. So a sword master should be able to parry very effectively. You can do it too if you get that good without dying first.

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 06:59:00 pm »

I think I've lived so long by using a shield -- it was only impressive until he got clobbered. I saw a thief do the same thing, parrying with a dagger until he stopped parrying for good.

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 08:32:12 pm »

Imagine how hard it would be for an enemy to get past shield skill AND parry skill AND armor!

Then get stung by a desert scorpion....
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok Cultist - Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 09:00:19 pm »

Imagine how hard it would be for an enemy to get past shield skill AND parry skill AND armor!

Then get stung by a desert scorpion....
Your signature is... its ah... *Copy, Paste, Save As*
Ahem

I once saw one of my allies parry someone with a piece of sand; Quite an intriguing sight
I Like To Think Of Myself As An Artist - I Create Masterpieces With My Tools Of Trade.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 09:08:04 pm »

Huh, I've managed to parry and counter a giant in my sleep. I still died from wolves later on, but the giant was almost instantly dead. It had a few turns to vomit, bleed, and lie prone with spinal injuries, and winded to boot (Guts, Spine, Left Kidney, Left Lung, at least 3 arteries, a ton of muscle and fat, and several ribs.).

rico6822

• Bay Watcher
  • Constantly fails to become elephant man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2021, 02:31:11 pm »

Huh, I've managed to parry and counter a giant in my sleep. I still died from wolves later on, but the giant was almost instantly dead. It had a few turns to vomit, bleed, and lie prone with spinal injuries, and winded to boot (Guts, Spine, Left Kidney, Left Lung, at least 3 arteries, a ton of muscle and fat, and several ribs.).

I always try to make my dodge high when I start a new game. You're equipment won't run out of durability by simply not colliding with enemy swings and non-tool attacks cannot be parried (still blockable). I play as a peasant with at least 18 different needs but now I consider playing as a character with only needs impossible to satisfy so I would had to sometimes "rest at bonfire". My character left defenseless for 14 days could die if I stopped in a dangerous area.
Does anybody know how to become an elephant man in adventure mode? I literally did all advanced world settings possible to increase chances.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2021, 05:47:26 am »

I'm pretty sure parrying with a weapon means you can't use it to attack, though. IIRC, blocking is also easier, and you can't parry dragonfire. Multiple shields for the win.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2021, 07:04:51 am »

I concur with Blumber, we had that discussion some years ago. Shield allows you to block ranged attacks like dragofire or silver bolts. Dodging is extremely tiresome especially in armor AND unusable if you get grappled, and parrying puts your weapon on cooldown. The system is somewhat balanced though, and multiple strategies are viable. Twin weapons especially can reliably beat weapon and shield in one-to-one melee, at the cost of less ranged defense.
Even single a single one-handed weapon can be useful to allow the use of wrestling moves, overpowered against specialized opponents like axemasters and the like, who become very easy to beat once you disable their weapon.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 07:06:26 am by Cathar »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2021, 07:18:44 am »

I thought you could actually parry arrows?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2021, 07:27:02 am »

I don't think you can? I never saw an arrow parried on my logs (and never tried to parry arrows in adventure mode). Did you tested it?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2021, 08:14:51 am »

I don't think you can? I never saw an arrow parried on my logs (and never tried to parry arrows in adventure mode). Did you tested it?
My swordmaster constantly bats bolts out of the air with his sword, that's parrying, right?

--
Just checked my gamelog to see if that was really true or if I just imagined it, and yes it appears to be:

"The furnace operator bats the flying magma out of the air with the -iron pick-!"

Parrying, right?  :o
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 08:17:25 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2021, 08:35:01 am »

Oh well my bad then lol, I guess my people are not peppered with arrows nearly enough. One more point for team twin swords then !