Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192

Author Topic: Dwarf Therapist (LATEST 0.6.12 5/23/12 see first post)  (Read 843703 times)

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Therapist (LATEST 0.6.12 5/23/12 see first post)
« Reply #2850 on: February 14, 2013, 02:53:14 pm »

> the problem with the logic of
> > 5000 is too high and even 2000 is higher than it should be...
> is this is for mod's, not just vanilla.  So it may be entirely possible for someone to train the full capacity of their potential.
If they have a high median and low minimum value then maybe, but it will take a very long time and isn't that relevant. For a very long time that dwarf will have that attribute below maximum value. For example a worker is lucky to gain 50 points per year. I still say, what I said before.

If someone mods CTI, sim3 will factor that in, but otherwise a realistic value for sim_gain would be maybe a thousand and that only for attributes that the military trains. There is simply no point in caring about max_value so much if it won't be achieved before the inevitable FPS death in 5 years. 

> Vanilla alone has shown danger rooms have a significant increase on skills/attributes in a short amount of time.
My experience with them was that they trained skills very fast, as well as Endurance and were somewhat faster at improving other attributes than military training, but weren't as great as the hype would suggest.

> Using something like pumps exclusively for militia dwarfs could potentially allow a dwarf to hit his max strength in a few years.
I tried that and got around 50-200 after training to Legendary+5, endurance increasing the fastest. This was better than normal labour, but military works much better for attributes.

> > For sim3 the current attribute value is much more important, while your function values the cap more. 
> I found this weird since my results consistently reported lower values than yours.
This was my conclusion from graphing both in relation to growing starting value. After the median, your function growed faster and eventually overtook sim3. Yes, most of the time sim3 return value will be above yours. If you increase the sim_gain further, sim3 will hog the cap even more.

> Graphs.
Well, they are more readable in this form.

> you'll notice that yours and mine spike around the same data points, but until you reach higher CTI's, your's cease to spike.  I found increasing the att_sim to 5000 retained the spiking nature.
I've told you this several times already. When you have current value 2000 and simulate a gain of 2000, it doesn't matter if the cap is at 4000 or 5000, sim3 will still return 3000, because it won't cap either way. You may find "not spiking" an undesirable property, but I like it. It means that you are so far from the cap, that it doesn't even matter at this point and only the current value is important. sim3 will only notice a change in the cap if ((cap -curr) > sim_gain). Even if it notices, a higher current attribute value can compensate the difference pretty quickly. In the first of your graphs I can see that current increases pretty steadily, while cap jumps all over the place. If you kept graph of current in your two bottom graphs, sim3 would closely follow the current value by the looks of it, which is what I want.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

splinterz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Therapist Branch
« Reply #2851 on: February 14, 2013, 04:48:57 pm »

to derail the current discussion which i honestly cant wrap my head around, the military role advisor is kinda missing... (in the military tab, the whole melee, ranged, blah, blah stuff)

if its related to what's currently being discussed, okay.

also, for brevity's sake, self-compiled DT v0.19.3 on linux.
i'm not sure what you're asking here. if you're talking about a lack of default military roles, have you tried the alternate military view?

vrga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2852 on: February 14, 2013, 06:14:17 pm »

to derail the current discussion which i honestly cant wrap my head around, the military role advisor is kinda missing... (in the military tab, the whole melee, ranged, blah, blah stuff)

i'm not sure what you're asking here. if you're talking about a lack of default military roles, have you tried the alternate military view?
ah, yes, i've managed to totally miss the lack of that tab -.-
sorry bout that.
Zeocin's take on the current situation in Ardentdikes:
Otherwise known as the Release Urist Now Apocalyptic Weapon of Arse Yerking, or the R.U.N.A.W.A.Y. system.

splinterz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Therapist Branch
« Reply #2853 on: February 15, 2013, 09:55:34 am »

ah, yes, i've managed to totally miss the lack of that tab -.-
sorry bout that.
no worries, you're certainly not the first one :) additionally if you find the roles, or the view lacking, you can always create custom military roles, and then add them to your own custom view.

splinterz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Therapist Branch
« Reply #2854 on: February 15, 2013, 06:59:14 pm »

i've started a new thread over here for questions, bugs, updates etc. pertaining to my branched version

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2855 on: February 15, 2013, 10:35:34 pm »

and so we die

zackattack

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2856 on: February 23, 2013, 09:44:18 pm »

Hi, I recently encountered a problem with dwarf fortress. I am running a windows 7 OS and when I try to run dwarf fortress, I encounter a strange problem that I have not been able to solve. I start up DT, and it starts off just fine, it recognizes all of the dwarfs and has all of the info. Two things happen, one, the slider bar on the bottom does not work in anyway at all. That is really bad because I can't access the hauling labors to turn them off. Two, after I click on any of the buttons and preform an action, it will not respond to my mouse in anyway. I am not sure if it is a bug with the program or a bug withing my computer as a whole.

While I am capable with computers on the whole, programming is beyond me at this point. Please let me know what you need to see and I will send it to you as fast as possible. I am a relatively new player who is really wanting to play this game but this error is absolutely crippling. Playing without Therapist is extremely tedious and I want to enjoy this game.

Thank your for your time

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2857 on: February 26, 2013, 01:06:22 am »

What version of Dwarf Fortress are you using? And what version of Dwarf Therapist?  ???

zackattack

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2858 on: February 26, 2013, 09:20:55 am »

I tried it with multiple versions of both DF and DT, same problem. Right now, I am able to use the arrow keys and keyboard shortcuts to confirm jobs. I am currently using the latest DF with splinterz latest version of DT. I already have been talking with splinterz about it lately and he doesn't know what is wrong with it.

I am running windows 7 and I am using DF 34.11 and DT (splinterz branched version) 20.1

semm11

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2859 on: March 05, 2013, 10:09:41 pm »

My Dwarf therapist does not have an Attributes Tab (I only see Military, Labors, Social)  Why is this?  How can I turn it on?

Thanks!

mordrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2860 on: March 21, 2013, 01:42:14 am »

My Dwarf therapist does not have an Attributes Tab (I only see Military, Labors, Social)  Why is this?  How can I turn it on?
there should be an "Add" option to the left of your first tab, which is usual Labors, that drops down to list all the tabs you can add, one of which is attributes

Now for my question, I'm on ubuntu 12.10, checked out and compiled 20.4 build to work with dfhack r3 and phoebus graphics set, all 0.34.11
Everything starts off well, but after the first migration wave, normally i pause the game and assign professions or add nicknames etc..., DT crashes, log shows:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And the next time i open DT, all the non-normal attributes (that is below or above average) are shown as fully colored red boxes (even if you are strong or tough it comes up as if you were extremely weak). Hovering over the box will give the correct attribute description and score. This happens regardless of how the skills are drawn, if numbers, they are all 0.

This has happened twice in two games so I'd say it's fairly reproduceable.

EDIT: running DwarfTherapist -trace fixes the above issue... this is not the first time that turning on logging has fixed issues for me :p
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 05:29:19 am by mordrax »

kabads

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2861 on: March 21, 2013, 04:12:39 pm »

I've just compiled the latest version on Linux mint 14 and everything runs OK apart from writing changes. Dwarf Therapist runs and reads the running game. When I attempt to change the profession of a dwarf, I press commit changes and then the usual progress bar moves, but nothing changes on Dwarf Therapist. I have to run DTherapist as root, otherwise it doesn't pick up the game that's running (as my normal user).

Any advice on what I need to do to get it to write changes to DF?

mordrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2862 on: March 21, 2013, 07:21:23 pm »

Not sure if your write issue is related to the running as root, but here's another way to 'solve' the ptrace issue:

Note: Other comments on that thread have led me to think this command is bad for security.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65326.0

and repeated in the last comment here
https://code.google.com/p/dwarftherapist/wiki/LinuxVersion

Why would this work? I have no evidence but perhaps root isn't giving you all the permissions you think you have... yeah clutching at straws here
Worse come to worse, you could always try -trace, worked for me ;)

kabads

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2863 on: March 22, 2013, 03:17:43 am »

You're right running as root is not good. I'd prefer to run as my normal user, but that crashes instantly.

I also tried the tee command at http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65326.0 with no different result.

I didn't realise that ubuntu (which mint is a derivative of) had implemented this memory security. I will carry on researching to see if I can find a fix. The ptrace definitely seems like the issue and I will carry on down this avenue.

Many thanks.

Nokao

• Bay Watcher
  • [NEED ALCOHOL TO GET THROUGH THE WORKING DAY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2864 on: March 22, 2013, 06:52:53 am »

Are this software / thread / download links updated ?
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192