Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Earthgrip - new heaven for dwarves (Community)  (Read 2120 times)

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
Re: Earthgrip - new heaven for dwarves (Community)
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2010, 11:26:58 am »

Kosoth Toltotcatten "Ravenchannel" (male, Chief medical dwarf)
rename ScaraUrist
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2010, 09:14:54 am »

Done!

Okay, all the reports have the images uploaded. I think it's time to get back on the gaming.
And, if anybody have any suggestions on what to do, I'm gladly taking them in consideration. After all this is community fortress, not story fortress.

Oh, and I'm still using .12 version, as I heard that the adamantine can not be mined in the latest release.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 09:31:59 am by Kipi »
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2010, 01:09:55 pm »

Autumn, year 21

12th Limestone
The construction of pumps is slow. Too slow for my liking. And the reason is very obvious: we have too few masonries around! As the masonries are the only ones allowed to do the architectual work as well, thanks to those bastards in guild back in mountainhome, we can not appoint anyone else to do that work. Unless... I promote someone to the ranks of masons. I know, back in mountainhome I would be opposed by the guild, but we are no there and they aren't here, so...
I decided to promote four of the unemployed peasants to masons. Syrupyawns, Oilchamber, Bronzechappels and Ironwires are now masons, and finally doing something for their living. If we finally could get something done...

14th Limestone
We have made some small upgrades to the entrance. Now, there is few cage traps there to discourage any unwanted being of wandering in our fortress. Those traps are not much, but better than nothing.

25th Sandstone
It has been very quiet month, but finally we have some progress. The first part of the pumping magma is ready, so we can start moving the magma from the sea to the first tunnel section connecting the lower pump stack and upper pump stack. I assigned Whippedgriffon as our new pump worker, and ordered him to start the pumps.

The miners, due the lack of any better work, have been mining some veins in lower section of the tunnels. Iron, coal, zinc, silver and lead ores are the results of the mining operation. While we do not need coal for running the furnaces and smiths much longer, it's one of the basic ingredients of steel.

27th Sandstone
Blasted! The manual labor with the first pump doesn't provide enough power to run the whole stack of pumps. That means we either have to assign enough dwarves working with the pumps to keep the magma flowing or we have to build some kind of power generator. While the first one sounds tempting, I still go for the second option. That means more brainstorming, as the pumps are pretty deep.

10th Timber
New baby has been born. Contestswords gave birth to healthy baby girl.

22nd Timber
The caravan from mountainhome arrived today with the liason. I'm too busy to attend him now, so I ordered him to stay and wait. The trader made some good deals, buying a lot of cloth, leather, wood, food and some coke while selling only some junk crafts whe had. In the end we exported over 10000 worth of stuff. that's nearly 5% of the fortress' created wealth!

The map
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 01:20:35 pm by Kipi »

You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2010, 09:10:14 am »

Winter, year 21

12th Moonstone
We have problem in our hands. There are stuff rotting in our kitchen and brewery block, as there is no place to store all the stuff. I think we need to expand the food storages immediately!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

6th Opal
I was finally able to conduct the meeting with the liason. I ordered some more wood. After the contract was finished, the liason left in order to catch up with the caravan.

27th Opal
It has been very quiet lately. All the concentration has went to get the power generators to work. There are two pumps connected total of four waterwheels. Each pump keeps water flowing, providing flow to two waterwheels. This combination should produce enough power for both pump stacks and all the gears and axles connecting the magma pumps and the power generators.

The food storage is ready, but it's still cluttered by stones, so not much can be stored there yet. So, the miasma problem has not solved yet. Luckily, the miasma is the only problem in this regard, as we have more than enough food and alcohol to support the fortress for now. In fact, I had to order the farmers to stop farming, as we have more than enough plants for several years.

While the miners had nothing better to do, I ordered them to smooth the stones of my rooms, then engrave them. I deserve a bit luxury, after all.

5th Obsidian
Damn it!
We didn't take in account the placement of the lever closing the floodgate allowing the water from river to fill the power plant. Now, the power generators are flooding and we can not get access to the lever. Look slike we have to mine new route to the lever, as the lever itself is not under water.

12th Obsidian
Today I declare Patchy Hoodmanors as hero of Earthgrip! Despite all the water in the power generator she made her way to the lever, already submerged under the water, and was able to close the floodgate, and thus sealing the incoming water out. And she was able to reach the lever even when did not have the emergency tunnel ready!

17th Obsidian
Another baby has been born, this time to Playsabres and Fortressbreath. I was the first one to congratulate them.

21st Obsidian
Our fisher saw kobold thief again. This one was even able to get past our cage traps. Sadly it was able to get away before soldiers were ready for chasing it down.

27th Obsidian
While mining out some galena, miners breached another cavern. The mining was halted immediately and sealing the cavern was ordered. We don't want to let anything inside our fortress at this point.

lolgurth, do you have something in your mind as a reward for the heroic act? You may request one thing, and if I'm able to do it I will.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2010, 09:28:49 am »

I'll take Astesh Akumkadol.

New purpose: Take four other peasants, loot the metal stockpile, make weapon/armor out of the best stuff, become military.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2010, 09:48:46 am »

I'll take Astesh Akumkadol.

New purpose: Take four other peasants, loot the metal stockpile, make weapon/armor out of the best stuff, become military.

Do you want to rename?

Also, do you want to wait till we have magma, or just use some coke for it? And related to that, use the iron or wait for steel, which should be produced as soon as we have magma?

On a side note, it will take quite long time to finish one season, as my FPS has turned rather scary, something like 20-40. I think the reasons are all the water, power generators, magma and population. Just to note that I probably wont upload more than one update per day, as it takes quite long to finish each update.

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:failures]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2010, 04:52:25 am »

lolgurth, do you have something in your mind as a reward for the heroic act? You may request one thing, and if I'm able to do it I will.
can Patchy have a 5x5 bedroom as close as possible to the food stockpile?
Quote from: acetech09 date=1343968486
It's probably made from baby bone, with a handle of baby leather. Probably uses the leg bones wound together for the handle, the pelvis for the handle/pick joint, and the pick is the spine.

But that's all in theory, of course. Not like I've made a pick out of my own 5 month old baby before.
Pages: 1 [2]