Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Military woes  (Read 7877 times)

Flop

• Bay Watcher
  • Strike the couch!
    • View Profile
Military woes
« on: September 21, 2010, 06:37:11 pm »

Sorry for asking questions that have probably been answered more than once already. I tried the search function, but no luck.

Anyway, I've been away from DF for a few months. I tried out 31.xx when it was first released, but decided to wait for the military to get fixed. I'm under the impression that it more or less has been by now (although I don't quite recall what gave me that impression :)), so I'm trying it out.

I've created a squad of 10 dwarves, issued leather armor and training axes to them, and set up a barracks. They do train, but in a somewhat odd way. I've seen 4 dwarves leading a class simultaneously, although I was under the impression that only 1 should lead a class, while the rest observe. Also, they seem to only want to teach dodging, although that may be because none of them can actually use an axe.

My main problem, though, is that they keep reverting to their civilian status for no apparant reason. I've altered their schedule to include no rest, meaning that they should be training every month of the year. I'm not sure if this is a good idea, since I have a vague memory of some of my military dwarves starving to death in previous builds, but I was hoping it would stop their constant switching back to civilians. Unfortunately it didn't, and I don't understand why. :(

Can somebody shed some light on this for me?

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
Re: Military woes
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 06:47:03 pm »

From what I understand, the best way to train your military, is more smaller squads training (so, use 2 squads of 3 and a squad of four with the minimum dwarfs set to 2 and 3 respectively.)  Also, use a danger room.  Just set up upright spike traps with wooden training spears (absolutely NO other material and NO MENACING SPIKES.  That results in much death and destruction.  Or if you are lucky, just lots of doctor training.  ;) )  If they have no shields, they will train armor user, dodging, and the skill for whatever weapon they are wielding (from parries I assume.)  If you give them shields, they still train all three of those in addition to shield user but their weapon skill will level up more slowly.  While they are stationed in the danger room make sure they have full metal armor, and a dress/robe of some kind.  These will cover the gaps in the armor and keep dwarfs safe safer. 
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 08:07:20 pm »

Make sure you've set them to active training. You can do this from the squad menu, looking for an "alerts" toggle, or from the military menu, looking for an alerts submenu. This will start them on whatever schedule you've assigned them. You might want to give them off-months, since they'll get depressed or angered by excessively long training. They take breaks for food and stuff on their own now.

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
  • I can't really make you love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 08:39:36 pm »

Even while active all year long you should see a notice occasionally where they'll revert to civilian and then back. It appears that part of the fix to them training themselves to death is that they rever to civilian status momentarily when the season changes.

fluiddruid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 10:23:03 pm »

I've found the multiple class thing going on, too, or splits between classes and other dwarves sparring.  Suits me fine - less standing around waiting that way.  Still, , they all seem to level up in various things -- though they won't level up in, say, shield use until I've made them shields.  They often seem to do dodging classes -- moreso than other skills, but seem to gain the other skills (like melee skills) just fine as well.  For the record, I put the most experienced dwarf in the squad in the leadership position when possible, and try to make sure that I mix in some experienced dwarves with fresh squads since I don't think they can do classes unless someone in the squad knows the skill (though how much they need exactly I don't know).

And yeah, they do seem to switch into civilian status every so often.   If you ever give the squad orders (like to station somewhere) they'll revert back right away, though sadly they do seem to stow their equipment when they go civ and then have to go back and get it. 

For what it's worth, despite training them every month of the year, my soldiers aren't unhappy - other than long patrol duty (if they're stationed), they don't get a lot of bad thoughts from training all the time.  They don't have a lot of chances for good thoughts either though, so I try to keep them on 'sleep in room at will' when practical, and give them nice furniture (this is a standard for me in general, my dwarves are always admiring their beds and cabinets), as well as nice food and drink stockpiles nearby and making sure they all have waterskins/flasks and backpacks on hand for them I need to station them someplace for awhile.  Seems to work okay for my purposes, though I'm pretty much a newbie myself.

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
  • I can't really make you love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 12:39:00 am »

I tend to run into more problems when I have them alternate training and rest. For one thing they're more likely to form meaningful relationships. Second, those who aren't too keen on being in the military will get a "annoyed by the draft" thought every time and those who love being in the military get a "disappointed by being  relieved from duty." There's even an overlap between the two, so you get dwarves who hate being drafted and hate being relieved.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 12:40:32 am »

you can set orders for them to remain in uniform when off duty.  or is it bugged?
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

shibdib

• Bay Watcher
  • How much for Goat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 01:07:37 am »

you can set orders for them to remain in uniform when off duty.  or is it bugged?

This is a useful feature.. and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 01:09:38 am »

This is a useful feature.. and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged

I am going to have to sig that...
[DWARFINEERING]

Flop

• Bay Watcher
  • Strike the couch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 12:28:56 pm »

Thanks for the answers guys. I suppose I'll just have to live with them reverting briefly to civilians, at the beginning of each season. That's not too bad, I suppose.

Flop

• Bay Watcher
  • Strike the couch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 04:34:35 pm »

Sorry for the double post, but I've encountered another problem. I can't figure out how to assign wooden crossbows to my guys. I can assign different kinds of metal crossbows to them, but not wooden. Same thing with leather shields, there simply isn't a leather option in the materials menu, despite some of the default uniforms having leather shield/bucklers. Am I missing something here?