Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mass Magma Transit  (Read 4556 times)

Skelodwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Mica for it's perfect cleavage.
    • View Profile
Mass Magma Transit
« on: September 21, 2010, 08:26:45 pm »

So as I'm working on something secret that requires lots of magma (Although, what doesn't require lost of magma), I've started building a lot more pump stacks. And I very slowly found out that my current set up is not enough.

I had a 6 pump wide stack, straight from the 2nd level of the magma sea up to 5 levels above the surface. At first when I turned it on to fill a large hole, it started pumping like a mad man at first, spewing out the entire contents of the 1st Magma Sea Layer in a few seconds, and then it slowly ground to a halt, as the 2nd layer started emptying. I filled about 1/9th of my hole (A valley, really) before it all started evaporating faster than it could be pumped.

So yes. I got about 2 layers of the magma sea to evaporate in about 10 minutes.

At first I was all like: Oh, I guess I just need more pumps, but then I realized the problem wasn't a lack of pumps, it was a lack of magma to be pumped.

So I need more magma. More magma then the Magma Sea.
What has more magma then the magma sea?
Nothing.

But wait! I was only on the 2nd layer, if I go deeper... MOAR MAGMA!!!

Problem: SMR.

Dart.

So essentially: Now what?

How can I breach at a lower point, if all of the walls lower than the 2nd level are SMR?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I never really got that excited over Microcline... Oh wait, THAT blue stuff.

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mass Magma Transit
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 08:48:35 pm »

Maybe you can find a place where the adamantine tube is thick enough to accept a pump chamber without also breaching the hole in it?

Also:  a SIX pump wide stack?  How?  Wha-?  I'm still struggling to complete a one-pump wide stack from the magma sea to the surface.  I had almost completed it when a blind cave ogre got in and destroyed the middle section.   >:(  When I did I complete it and built about 1/4th of the windmills I'd need to power it, my game crashed (and I hadn't saved yet).
My wife: "Are you playing that midget fort game again?"

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
  • I can't really make you love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 08:58:27 pm »

Build an obsidian pillar into the magma sea so you can draw from a deeper point.

Carve out a large square, channel the floor out, flood it with water. Mine the obsidian out, but leave an edge then channel the floor. Repeat until you're down 3-4 levels then re-fill and re-cast from the bottom up so you have a solid block again, then build your pump stacks in the middle of that. build it near the edge of the screen (where the sea overflows the map) on the 4th or 5th layer and you should have infinite magma.

That said, even down on the 5th layer of the sea I can still find stone walls to work in.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 09:05:31 pm »

When I did I complete it and built about 1/4th of the windmills I'd need to power it, my game crashed (and I hadn't saved yet).
I assume you don't use Dwarf Reactors because they don't seem real enough?  (I don't know why anyone would have trouble with power being able to generate infinite amounts by using perpetual motion.)  Just curious.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 09:12:28 pm »

embark with a volcano.  that massive pile of magma is sure to be helpful...
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

ZhangC1459

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 09:30:16 pm »

I actually have not made a PMM yet (intentionally) but i know how. :D in DF, that is

Skelodwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 09:42:20 pm »

6 Pump wide? That was easy, I planned it all out in chemistry class, and then just made it at home. It drained... So... Quickly...
I also generated 6000 Uristwatts by turning an entire river into my energy-generator. The sad part is, that's about how much I would have needed if I had finished it.
(The 6 wide pump stack was also a product of having infinite sand, and a magma powered factory that managed to collect sand at exactly the same rate as it created 3 seperate pieces, all using 5 furnaces. I don't know how I managed not to run out of bags or sand every season or so, but it probably had to do with all of those 50 bags I made...)

Also: Ahah! An obsidian Pillar! Very dwarfy, I like it!

Ugh, this calls for so much more planning. Z-Level planning, too. (Which I hate, as Graph paper is not as easy to change levels.)

Also, what is the largest area I can chance at filling with Magma? The valley that failed miserably with 6pump action was about 180x180 if I remember correctly, currently I'm going for 70x70 which I feel should be easy enough to do, and large enough for what I want.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 10:59:46 pm »

no, dont settle for anything less that the full valley!  just fill it in chunks! :D (build walls that go about 2/3 the total height required dividing the valley into eighths. 

X =open space
W =wall

WXWXWXWXW
WWWWWWWW
WXWXWXWXW

(obviously the open space is much much larger but you get the idea.  this will prevent evaporation but still allow for the entire magma lake :D
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Skelodwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 06:38:26 am »

But then how do I remove the walls?

It's only worth it if it's a solid cube of magma. (Lawl, 180-z levels tall, that'd be FUN)

Also, for the Obsidian Pipe, won't it become an obsidian inversed pyramid? Or will the water travel downwards in diagonals? (I can never remember if it does...)

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 06:45:59 am »

It would be a pyramid.  Water does not travel diagonal to another z-level (only horizontally.)  I do like the thoughts about using the edge of the map for infinite magma... I assume they are correct since rivers work the same (though one side removes and the other side adds water... but I don't think magma works the same)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 06:47:56 am by Andir »
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 07:15:54 am »

But then how do I remove the walls?

Might I suggest non-magma-safe drawbridges?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2010, 07:27:52 am »

Make the entire walls normally, but line every single part that connects the wall with supports. Link every support to a lever, then collapse the thing when you want to release the magma.

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
  • I can't really make you love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2010, 08:03:31 am »

It would be a pyramid.  Water does not travel diagonal to another z-level (only horizontally.)  I do like the thoughts about using the edge of the map for infinite magma... I assume they are correct since rivers work the same (though one side removes and the other side adds water... but I don't think magma works the same)
AFAIK water/magma in the caverns/sea is functionally infinite as long as it was created that way. In fact today I wound up with a bug in my obsidian farm where the water hitting the magma would destroy the unit of water and the unit of magma but not create the obsidian (no, it wasn't being created then falling because I wasn't getting a collapse notice). No matter how much water I poured in (from a cavern lake that touched the edge) I never ran out of water or magma, though I did run out of magma on the level above, which was bounded.

I might just do a test science on it: create a thin, cavernless world and go straight down to the sea in an embark with a river. Center industry around food/bags/glass and go to town trying to drain that sucker dry.

LilGunmanX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2010, 08:39:58 am »

Hmm... so you need a LOT of magma. How can we fix that...

Well, let's see. Could you maybe be missing a magma tube somewhere? Or have you already excavated everything that there is to excavate? My advice is to go exploring!

Also: SMR? I'm familiar with all of the fun stuff, but I forget what SMR stands for. "Sexy Magma Reactor"? Whatever it is, just dig through it! Even if funzies come flying out at you, I'm sure there's a way to contain them. Adamant walls maybe?

In return for my useless advice, may I ask what the big secret project is? ;p

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2010, 08:40:39 am »

Semi-molten rock.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: [1] 2