Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Mass Magma Transit  (Read 4594 times)

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mass Magma Transit
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2010, 11:31:36 am »

Well if the depths cannot provide faster than evaporation the answer is to simply build temporary holding cells. You could use some of the sky to hold a nice box that holds the magma patiently and then either open the floor (bridge) or take out a supporting section of the whole thing after the magma sea has filled back up.

As you already have a lovely 6-pump stack I would recommend that you disable it temporarily and build just a small enclosure in front of it. Then as you complete sky pools you can have 1 pump wide stacks feed them out of this small reservoir. As such you should be able to easily choose how many of them to turn on or off so that the holding chambers do not suffer evaporation. In setting them up sequentially you should easily have several full before the 9th is in place (or whatever number you choose) so that you don't have to punish the pumps with less than 1 pump worth of input.

A nice bonus would be to make them on wooden supports IN the dry valley so that when you tear glowing gashes in the sky they take care of themselves~
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 11:33:34 am by Shoku »
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2010, 03:08:43 pm »

But then how do I remove the walls?

Might I suggest non-magma-safe drawbridges?
Floodgates as well.  Tie them all to a lever (that's a lot of mechanisms...) and open them up... the magma will destroy them upon opening.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Skelodwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Mica for it's perfect cleavage.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2010, 06:13:31 pm »

Curse you all and your ideas that would have worked!

Too bad I abandoned in frustration.

Anyways, since I'm retrying, just smaller, this is all still very useful.
And Liquids don't do Diagonal Z travel? I could have sworn I emptied my Magma moat like that.

Well, I think the solution for me is to do more uncovering of the Magma Sea, just because I never really look more than the first place I breach it.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I never really got that excited over Microcline... Oh wait, THAT blue stuff.

lordofhyphens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2010, 06:21:16 pm »

Wouldn't the resettable magma piston pretty much do what you want with less FPS hit?
"Extinction is not an option."

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2010, 06:40:39 pm »

And Liquids don't do Diagonal Z travel? I could have sworn I emptied my Magma moat like that.
They travel diagonally, on the same level, but they won't travel diagonally up or down z-levels.
Code: [Select]
~~~# <- Water (~) from here
###. <- will end up here
####
But if you look at that same diagram as if it were from the side, water will not traverse diagonal.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2010, 06:54:01 pm »

They travel diagonally, on the same level, but they won't travel diagonally up or down z-levels.
###. <- will end up here
####
But if you look at that same diagram as if it were from the side, water will not traverse diagonal.
Still seems maybe not-clear.
Water goes North East South West NE NW SE SW up and down but not directions like down-west.

Now, water pressure only goes N E S W up and down. The water will trickle out through, say, a south west opening in a pool but no matter how much water is sitting higher in the pool it's not going to flood upward through that diagonal opening.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2010, 07:08:59 pm »

###. <- will end up here
####
Still seems maybe not-clear.
Water goes North East South West NE NW SE SW up and down but not directions like down-west.

Now, water pressure only goes N E S W up and down. The water will trickle out through, say, a south west opening in a pool but no matter how much water is sitting higher in the pool it's not going to flood upward through that diagonal opening.
Yeah, it's not exactly easy to explain :p

Skelodwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2010, 07:29:11 pm »

Yeah, I got it from "Water doesn't travel diagonally through z-levels", I just thought that it did.

So an obsidian pyramid it is... This... Is going to be annoying. And probably kill my dreams of a 9 wide pumpstack.

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
  • I can't really make you love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2010, 07:44:07 pm »

Yeah, I got it from "Water doesn't travel diagonally through z-levels", I just thought that it did.

So an obsidian pyramid it is... This... Is going to be annoying. And probably kill my dreams of a 9 wide pumpstack.
Nah, it's easy: if you want it to have 9 pumps at the bottom then you need to start with 9+2n wide at the top, where n is the number of layers from the top of the sea to the pump location. In this case you probably want to go down to the second or third level of magma, so start off with a 15x10 block at the top.

Skelodwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2010, 06:56:58 am »

I embarked in a new promising place.

The magma sea had a bubble of rock straight down 5 z levels, that I carved out, and is now my glass-making / magma pump facility.

It also has a spot that goes straight to the surface passing by the caverns, large enough to hold my pumpstack.

Great success!

And then... Oops, it's about 80 z levels down.

Well, should be fun!

Halykan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2010, 07:35:00 am »

Those are some good suggestions. Frankly though, I'd solve it in a relatively simple manner.

Dig out the total space you want your Big Cube O' Lava to be. Then build a few supports (or one, if you really don't care about realism) on the bottommost z-level. Then construct the magma holding cells on top of the supports (out of magma unsafe materials - wood is great for this). Make sure you link the supports to levers before you start filling them, just to be safe.

Ideally you'd fill each of the magma cells separately, and when you've got your total volume, you just blow the supports and the whole thing deconstructs in the fall and incinerates. It's perhaps not the cleverest method but it's the easiest to implement.
If you don't remember whether the lever will collapse half the fortress, flood it with magma, flood it with water, flood it with water THEN magma, or kill the invaders, you pull it and hope you take the god damned goblins down with you
clicky

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2010, 07:14:08 pm »

It's also something I already suggested n_n
Pages: 1 [2]