Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Possible dodging bug  (Read 1328 times)

Ganthan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Possible dodging bug
« on: September 25, 2010, 12:48:27 pm »

I was doing Arena testing by having an armored dwarf get attacked by 10 simultaneous goblins with wooden spears to try to replicate the danger room when I couldn't help but notice how slowly he was gaining Dodge skill.  Even when I'd start the dwarf with Proficient Dodger which is the highest you can have at Embark and the goblins have no spear skill which means they miss a lot, I never once saw the dwarf gain the next level in Dodge.

I eventually took control of the dwarf directly and discovered that only 3, yes THREE, experience points are gained per successful dodge.  All other skills seem to gain plenty fast, but he'd have to dodge literally hundreds of times in order to go from even Novice to Adequate.

Surely this has got to be a typo in the code somewhere and a zero was left out of the total because it ought to be ten times more than that to make it more normal.  A dwarven soldier would likely die of old age before he mastered dodging with only three points per dodge.

With parrying and shield blocking also being viable and easily trained options, this lack of dodging might not be such a big deal.  However, Fortress Mode testing needs to be done to determine if this slow gain also transfers to Dodging Demonstrations as well.  If so then this might be a big reason why organized training goes so slowly.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
Re: Possible dodging bug
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 01:13:31 pm »

The fact that the goblins weren't "hitting" him before he could try to dodge would be at least part of the problem here methinks.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 01:21:35 pm »

Genesis mod (Among others) has a workshop which trains dodging, which is probably the most elegant solution until the combat is further refined.

Since blocking with a shield seems to take priority over parrying, and then parrying over dodging, soldiers do very little dodging at the moment.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 01:47:26 pm »

The fact that the goblins are missing a lot probably has something to do with it. They're not missing because he's dodging, but because they're swinging wildly. If so, he doesn't have to dodge. The armor probably takes a role as well. Did your dwarf increase his Shield/Armor level during that?

Try making them Adequate Speargoblins and see what happens.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 06:00:23 pm »

regardless of goblin skill, 3 exp per dodge is ridiculously low.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010, 06:35:56 pm »

I want to say my noob speardwarf had 3xp after stabbing an elven swordsman for the first time.  He didn't have any training as the elves showed up just about the time I was looking for a place to build a barracks (had 4 soldiers, 3 active, 1 possessed, at the time).  I thought it was a bit odd he only gained 3xp from stabbing an elf in the leg and breaking the femur, but I forgot to see how many xp he had earned after he helped kill 6 elves (lots and lots of pokey-stabby goodness from steel spear and shield armed recruits).
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"