Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Install Help for Mac OS X  (Read 767 times)

murph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Install Help for Mac OS X
« on: September 09, 2010, 09:16:28 am »

I've spent the past three hours (nothing, I realize, in the scheme of things but my threshold for asking, nonetheless) bashing my head against the wall of trying to get the latest build of DF working on my Mac laptop which is the only computer I have since the unfortunate demise of my Windows box.

Questions in order of relevance:

1) Does the current build of DF work on Mac OS X Tiger?
2) If so, given the sheer number of guides for everything under the DF sun, I assume there's some sort of tutorial or guide for installing this sucker?  Can someone point me to it?
2.5) If not, well, then I guess I need to upgrade, don't I?  But is there an install guide in any event?
2.75) If there aren't any guides, I don't suppose anyone who runs on a Mac would be willing to walk me through it?  My AppleFu is weak.  In order to meet the requirements in the readme that comes with the install of DF I've got, I installed SDL-1.2 and SDL_Image to the Frameworks dir, I (think?) I've installed GTK+ 2+ in that I bashed it in the terminal and a bunch of things scrolled by, but I'm not sure if it worked right since it advised me that there was "no such directory" a few times, and I've tried to find libGL and libGLU to download and install, but have had no luck.

I've been without DF for months, and a recent read through of a couple of Lets Plays has awakened the hunger in me something fierce.  Help!

Totaku

• Bay Watcher
  • The little oni that strikes the earth
    • View Profile
Re: Install Help for Mac OS X
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 09:30:10 am »

Ok I think I can help since I'm a mac user here.

So I'll try to answer your questions:

1. Yes as I too use a OS X Tiger

2.No tutorial sadly, someone should make one.

2.5 No need to an update, it should run on your OS X Tiger, and still no guide either.

2.75 The process is simple: In your DF folder located the file called "df" That's the file you need to open. But in order to open it you'll have to use the "terminal"

Simplest way to do this is to Control click and select "open with" then select "Other". Go to applications. then go to "utilities" and then located "Terminal" If for some reason terminal can't be opened, change enable to "All applications" This should then allow you to open terminal.

Open Terminal and the rest should work like magic.
That's one small step for man, one giant leap for Otakukind!

And maker of the mod in progress known as Suika Fortress Now for 0.34.xx!

murph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 09:57:30 am »

And that's got it;  old DOS hand that I am, I tried just typing "DF" in the directory that its installed in and instead of running it, it gave me some kind of wonky list.  I guess "DF" is a command in UNIX?

Anyhow, thanks a bunch!

thewonderidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 09:59:43 am »

DF is "disk free" and shows how much free space is on your various filesystems. If you actually want to run it from the terminal, you'll want to enter "./df". The "./" makes it run the df executable in the current directory.

yamamushi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 03:48:49 pm »

Right click the df file in finder, select "Get Info" and you should see a menu that says "Open with".

Use that to select "Terminal" as the program you open it with (Hint: Applications -> Utilities)

That way you don't have to bother with opening terminal every time, you can just double click the df file to open it.

And because I spent quite a bit of time looking for this, there is a Dwarf Therapist port for OSX (though I'm not sure it will work on Tiger, you may have to try your luck compiling it in Xcode):

http://code.google.com/r/jofarrell-dwarftherapistosx/

I'm a little frustrated with the lack of OSX tools at the moment, so I'm a few minutes away from installing Windows on a BootCamp partition just to play DF on. I'm biting my lip in shame (I'm a linux engineer), but I gotta feed the DF addiction.

I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper GOLD - 475+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

astfgl

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a really personal text: "Personal Text"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 01:08:23 pm »

I just posted a little shell-script that should remove the need of opening ./df in the Terminal, by creating an .app-bundle, like most other Mac apps, for you. It'd be nice if you guys could check it out and tell me if it works. And it might actually be of use for you!
So please have a look here!