Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mystery Dungeon: Shiren  (Read 1046 times)

Koja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mystery Dungeon: Shiren
« on: September 23, 2010, 06:56:02 pm »

Bear with the poor review... My browser crashed while typing up the original. Also, I can't really find a link to give the game justice.
------------

Shiren is a roguelike game for DS. It's going for like 5 dollars used now, and is a good investment if you have a DS and travel. If you have a backup copy, you can rescue your own characters.

Unique Features:
*Rescue System: A dead character can be rescued(Or not... Who rescues the rescuer?) via wifi or password 3 times before the game wipes itself.
*Persistent "Warehouses" across deaths
*NPC companions/sidequests that advance across death
*Zany monster abilities(Leading to bizarre deaths i.e.: Turn the PC into a riceball, who then hits a spoiling trap and instadies)
*Roguelike "Puzzle" levels- Very good tutorials, teaches game basics as well as super advanced tricks(Such as the knockback/switch place staff technique for crossing water)
*A talking weasel
~~<BR>"Zombie fish have the added benefit of not needing to breath. Thus they can wade out of the water with little to fear but bigger zombie fish" -Willfor

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery Dungeon: Shiren
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 07:08:17 pm »

Shiren is a roguelike game for DS SNES.

So close, though. Well, not really. :P

That being said, Shiren's pretty solid for a mystery dungeon game. Dunno how the DS works it, but the original's definitely worth a gander and a few rounds. It's not terribly hard as roguelike stuff goes, either. Probably only take a handful of deaths to get the hang of it, instead of several hundred :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery Dungeon: Shiren
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 07:50:07 pm »

I always thought it was a talking ferret. Either way, it's an awesome game on the DS.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG