Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Good Extremely High Specs PC Games  (Read 4011 times)

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Good Extremely High Specs PC Games
« on: September 22, 2010, 03:29:54 pm »

As someone who just got a top of the line computer after years of having a mediocre laptop, I'm looking for games to test its limits without just being pure eyecandy. Hopefully I'm not the only one who has this problem   8)
So, any recommendations?

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
Re: Good Extremely High Specs PC Games
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 03:30:54 pm »

Crysis is the obvious one. Hella huge system requirements, it's pretty and a good game. I forget if Crysis 2 is out yet.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 03:35:54 pm »

Crysis is the obvious one. Hella huge system requirements, it's pretty and a good game. I forget if Crysis 2 is out yet.
That's actually what I just downloaded and intend to play first, demo gives me no lag on highest settings.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 03:36:45 pm »

Lol, first one I'd test out with a fast laptop is Dwarf Fortress.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Spade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 03:48:54 pm »

Lol, first one I'd test out with a fast laptop is Dwarf Fortress.
Try to see if you can run the game with all-holy spire.
DungeonEscape
Will you make it out alive?

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 04:44:08 pm »

Crysis 2 is actually supposed to be easier on the puter than Crysis 1 considering it's supposed to run on consoles whereas Crysis 1 couldn't. And I'm not that sure if it's still the top benchmark out there.

I'd try Mafia 2. With the APEX physics thing it lags up nearly anything (simulates debris physics). It's not particularly top-notch in terms of graphics overall, but it seems to utilize a lot of nice particle effects and some cloth physics on clothes.

GTA IV as well, I guess. Though performance issues supposedly were a result of a shoddy default configuration (and the devs insisted that it's too advanced for modern PCs, lol), which some people fixed by tweaking the ini's.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 05:00:49 pm »

BFBC2 seems to be really demanding on people's systems. Moreso than the box implies. It's not the pinnacle, but it's asking for a lot of juice to run at full spec with absolutely zero hitches.

As for Crysis...I got this game just to see the hype, and got it to run well at medium on a machine with a meh video card and an underspec processor. (A 4.3ghz vs. the dual core they were asking for at the time.) So I dunno. Crysis had high specs for its time, sure. But I think it's just a popular meme that got entrenched, that it requires some godly amount of power to run. It really doesn't.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 05:10:34 pm »

Crysis, if you look at some of the even higher res mods out there, it's pretty wildly upward scalable

Metro 2033 is also a pretty good option.

Could you post a Speccy report of your new rig?

Edit: You could also try Shattered Horizons. It's multiplayer only, but the physics are fun, and it's made by Futuremark who make the GPU benchmarking software.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 05:13:27 pm by Calhoun »
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 05:11:55 pm »

Yeah, I've heard Metro 2033 is a monster when it comes to system specs.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 05:43:28 pm »

CRYSIS:

Minimum system requirements
from Crytek and EA

OS - Windows XP or Windows Vista
Processor - 2.8 GHz or faster (XP) or 3.2 GHz or faster* (Vista)
Memory - 1.0 GB RAM (XP) or 1.5 GB RAM (Vista)
Video Card -256 MB**
Hard Drive - 12GB
Sound Card - DirectX 9.0c compatible

Recommended System Requirements
from Crytek and EA

OS - Windows XP / Vista
Processor - Intel Core 2 DUO @ 2.2GHz or AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+
Memory - 2.0 GB RAM
GPU - NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS/640 or similar

My computer still can't handle that but it's not going to require anything more than a decent gaming rig by now.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 05:54:41 pm »

There is a world of difference between Low, Medium, High, and Very High. Hell, I'll come back with some comparison screenies.

Edit: Uploading now (took em at my native res 1680X1050)

The major difference between them is definitely in the lighting/shadows though. Surface textures are pretty consistant, object textures are a lot lower on the lower two settings though, but the Lighting in medium and low is ultra simplistic, compared to high and Very high.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 06:14:54 pm by Calhoun »
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2010, 05:58:08 pm »

Man. Those specs seem so quaint now.

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2010, 06:32:03 pm »

Crysis setting comparisons@1680X1050(Do note there is no AA in any of these.):
Scene 1:
Low
Very High
Scene 2:
Low
Very High
Scene 3:
Low
Medium
High
Very High
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 06:36:45 pm by Calhoun »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2010, 06:35:34 pm »

Yep. That's HDR Lighting and Bump mapping alright.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2010, 07:21:04 pm »

Metro 2033 brought my gaming laptop to it's knees and then it cried.
Only a simple mind can be certain.
Pages: [1] 2