Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: dwarf fortress smithing guide help  (Read 5615 times)

grank6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
dwarf fortress smithing guide help
« on: September 22, 2010, 09:12:16 pm »

can someone explain to me in a very basic way as to how you make bars and other things becasue i'm now on my 5th fortress and i havn't  been able to figure out how to smith

i read the wiki was not helpful at all

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: dwarf fortress smithing guide help
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 10:12:43 pm »

There are 3 things which must be done before you can begin smithing:
-Build a Smelter
-Mine Ore
-Obtain Fuel

Doubtless you already have a smelter, and it is likely that you have also found some ore and mined it, so I would have to guess that your problem is with fuel.

Fuel comes from two sources: Wood and Coal
-A Wood-burner will transform 1 wood into one charcoal
-A Smelter will transform 1 coal into 2 or 3 coke, depending on whether it's lignite or bituminous.

IMPORTANT NOTE: When working with coal, it takes fuel to make fuel.  If you don't have any fuel to start with, then no options will be available at your smelter.  Make some charcoal, and you can jump-start the process.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Stardrinker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 02:18:17 am »

If you want to know what ore gives you what metal, check the wiki.
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Main_Page

Fellhuhn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 02:47:25 am »

Or you a magma smelter and forge.
To do so you need magma below your room, channel one tile and build the magma smelter/forge (building option will become available after detecting magma) over the open space.

BUT moody dwarves may still request a normal glass forge instead of a magma glass forge (bug?).

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 03:06:08 am »

To do so you need magma below your room, channel one tile and build the magma smelter/forge (building option will become available after detecting magma) over the open space.

BUT moody dwarves may still request a normal glass forge instead of a magma glass forge (bug?).

They seem to both count as seperate workshops, and either can be claimed, but they randomly decide which they want and ignore the other, and if you don't have it then build it or else deal with another crazy Urist.

However i don't think a glassmaker can demand a magma glass furnace if you cannot build one yet(haven't discovered magma)
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 03:48:49 am »

They seem to both count as seperate workshops, and either can be claimed, but they randomly decide which they want and ignore the other, and if you don't have it then build it or else deal with another crazy Urist.

However i don't think a glassmaker can demand a magma glass furnace if you cannot build one yet(haven't discovered magma)

Oh yes, he can!

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 03:57:23 am »

1: Build a wood burner (b-e-w) and use it to make one unit of charcoal
2: Build a smelter (b-e-s) and use it to convert bituminous coal/lignite into coke.
3: Use the coke to smelt metal ores and make metal bars (again at the smelter)
4: Use the metal bars at a metalsmiths forge (b-w-f) to make stuff.

Make sure you have a sedimentary layer in the embark, because only that provides coal and lignite. Otherwise you'll need to rely on wood and magma for fuel, both of which are difficult for newbies.

grank6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 10:23:38 pm »

thanks all of you i'll give it a try later

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2010, 02:02:55 pm »

I wouldn't say that using wood for fuel is difficult for newbies.  It's really pretty simple, if you embark on a biome with a bunch of trees.  You cut 'em down and burn 'em.  They grow back, and you repeat!

Really, I don't understand what those wacky elves are on about....
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz