Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [SOLVED] Windows 7 Setup fails - any advice? :(  (Read 23343 times)

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[SOLVED] Windows 7 Setup fails - any advice? :(
« on: September 23, 2010, 12:57:04 pm »

It took me a while to build up the courage and back up my data, but here I am at last, installing Windows 7. Or, trying to, at least. Good thing I started on the family computer first.

Here's the problem. Windows installs, reboots, nears completion, and then stops with the following (typically-vague) Microsoft error:

"Windows could not configure one or more system components. Reboot and restart installation."

I'm on my 7th attempt. The first six tries, I relied on Setup to format the harddisk, but then I found out it was cheating and not really wiping the data off. So I used a Partition Wizard boot disc to completely wipe everything and start with a blank slate; I was hopeful, but no. Attempt #7 ended with exactly the same error.

So... fuck. What do I do now? We kinda need that PC to be working... :/ That computer no longer has anything on it, so I can't do much with it. I have no idea how to view the setup log files because I don't know how to get to DOS with it.

I'm asking here because Google has offered nothing but false leads, and I honestly don't know where else to turn.

It previously had Windows Vista 64bit and I'm attempting to install Win7 Home Premium 64bit.

Many thanks for any tips or advice offered.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 12:03:39 pm by Moogie »
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 7 Setup fails - any advice? :(
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 01:24:51 pm »

Check the installation disk, and, if it's not the disk, the disk drive itself. It might be a scratch or dust on the disk.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 01:55:00 pm »

Try upgrading your BIOS before you install? Googling suggests it might work for some.

Ephemeriis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 01:58:32 pm »

Vista x64 to Win7 x64 should be a fairly painless upgrade.

I'd suggest there's something wrong with the installation media.  Either the disc itself might have an issue, or the drive it's in.  The only time I've run into those kind of issues on a Vista-->Win7 upgrade were with faulty media.
Work is the curse of the drinking class.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 02:03:36 pm »

Well, list the components inside and attached to the computer. Anything that can easily be removed/unplugged, do so.

That would be my first step, but then I have done hundreds of Win7 installs by now, about 1/3 of which were 64bit, and have never seen that error. Is this an old computer?

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 04:46:04 pm »

Well, list the components inside and attached to the computer. Anything that can easily be removed/unplugged, do so.

That would be my first step, but then I have done hundreds of Win7 installs by now, about 1/3 of which were 64bit, and have never seen that error. Is this an old computer?

It's new this year, but it was a pre-built pre-installed deal. All USB devices were unplugged when attempting to install. The CD is, as far as I know, reading properly (I made sure to burn it at a slow speed and verified).

I've made a small but unsatisfactory amount of progress since earlier. Some lonely post on Google gave me a few magic commands to try-- namely, shift+F10 to bring up the console, then proceed to run "system32\oobe\msoobe.exe" to finalize the setup procedure. After doing this, the PC rebooted a couple of times and eventually the desktop appeared.

However. It's now telling me I'm using Windows Starter edition, and when I try running Setup to upgrade, it tells me it's not compatible with any other edition. :(
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 04:52:42 pm »

Well since you got to the desktop at least, go to start and type 'device manager'

open the device manager and see if any of your devices are showing errors.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 05:10:16 pm »

It shows one error, under "Other Devices" for something I've never heard of before: "Coprocessor".

Attempted to use online update to find a driver, Windows couldn't recognise it or install any drivers for it.

@Eugenitor: Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into that. I did actually have a quick look earlier but only found Vista-related drivers for this system, but perhaps they'll work all the same?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 05:17:15 pm by Moogie »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2010, 05:12:46 pm »

What processor is in the computer?

In fact list out the main components (CPU, motherboard, graphics card, etc) if you know them.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 05:23:05 pm »

CPU: AMD Phenom x3 8550
RAM: 3GB DDR2
GPU: GeForce 8200 (single)
HDD: 320GB

Also has a single DVD+RW drive.

Currently has a USB wireless network toggle/adapter/thing plugged in which has been working fine, grabbed all the Windows updates I could find. :]

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 05:43:21 pm »

A quick search indicates that the coprocessor thing is your GPU not being properly recognized.

I'm not sure why it isn't allowing you to upgrade from Win7 starter though. You should be able to upgrade from starter to Home Premium, Professional, or Ultimate.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2010, 05:50:56 pm »

Hmm, but Win Update did find and install some NVidia drivers previously, I assumed that was the GPU taken care of.

It's getting late here and I've been doing this all day, hehe. So I think I'll call it a night, and try again tomorrow. I might burn another bootdisc and start fresh again, unless there's anything else suggested in the meantime.

For now, though, thanks for your time and efforts, forsaken. :) I'll update this when something new happens.

Edit: Just a thought, but I probably can't upgrade because of the partially-failed setup. Remember that I had to run msoobe.exe myself when I received the "cannot configure components" error, so whatever was happening there probably skipped the rest of the setup procedure.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 05:59:00 pm by Moogie »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2010, 05:54:19 pm »

I would try installing drivers from the manufacturer's website rather than trusting the windows update. That has given me trouble in the past.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2010, 06:24:36 pm »

Unfortunately, you have to stop windows from doing it. Win 7 automates the whole process, where as like XP would have asked you before doing it.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2010, 06:28:05 pm »

Well since he's gotten to the desktop and at least has it running, he should be able to simply install the other drivers.
Pages: [1] 2