Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Philospher upset by others having better rooms  (Read 808 times)

Zurai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Philospher upset by others having better rooms
« on: December 06, 2007, 04:29:00 pm »

Philosophers require no rooms or items, but they still get upset at "a lesser's pretentious burial arrangements" at least.

Lazer Bomb

• Bay Watcher
  • Sine! Cosine! TANGENT!
    • View Profile
    • Homepage 60☼
Re: Philospher upset by others having better rooms
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 04:47:00 pm »

They don't need it, but they probaly at least want a nice room to philosophize.
Kagus: "Still, demonic spelunking is always a promising idea."

Zurai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 06:56:00 pm »

If they do not request a room of any quality, they shouldn't be upset when "lessers" get better rooms.

In addition, without knowledge of what quality room they want, it's impossible to know what quality we should aim for for their "lessers", or even who their "lessers" are. In my fort, I had the Duchess, Duke Consort, and Dungeon Master all with tombs; it's probable that I need to give my Philosopher a better tomb than my DM's but less than my Duchess's... but there's no way to be sure.

Hypcso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 07:33:00 pm »

I had my count becoming " Enraged at a lesser's pretentious office " that made him go from ecstatic to very unhappy every time it ticked. Funny thing was he had a royal throne room and nobody else had over their requirements.

Pacho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 07:43:00 pm »

It doesn't matter if he has something better than everyone else.  Its when a lesser dwarf has a bedroom of a higher quality than the noble thinks he deserves.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007, 09:30:00 am »

But giving all your nobles or legendary dwarves nice rooms shouldn't cause any trouble, right?
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2007, 09:54:00 am »

If you give your philosopher a room, although he doesn't need (want?) one, he will get the unhappy thought from a lesser dwarf with a better bed/coffin/etc.
So just give your philosopher no room, like he wants.

Also I believe that the bad thought does not come from the whole room's value, but only the quality of the built item that forms the room. So if your philosopher has a royal quarters through engraving and nice chests, but is was built with only a -bed- or a +bed+, while a peasant has a meager quarters in the mud, but with a *bed*, the philosopher will get angry at the lessers pretentious sleeping arrangements.

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Freddybear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2007, 09:57:00 am »

Best bet is to make sure that each noble has only the quality of room that they require and no more. Giving them fancier rooms is likely to make one or all of them jealous.

Zurai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2007, 11:18:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by martinuzz:
<STRONG>If you give your philosopher a room, although he doesn't need (want?) one, he will get the unhappy thought from a lesser dwarf with a better bed/coffin/etc.
So just give your philosopher no room, like he wants.</STRONG>

No. This philosopher had no rooms, not even a bedroom (he's sleeping in the barracks).

Silveron

• Bay Watcher
  • Arichect of Destruction
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2007, 12:13:00 pm »

Ive had the upset/pretensious philosopher also. Doesnt matter if he has a room or not, the unhappy thought is there. 33c at least, was last fort so I havent confirmed in 33d yet.