Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: On poopsmithing and urine.  (Read 3718 times)

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
Re: On poopsmithing and urine.
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2010, 05:40:22 pm »

There were two.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2010, 05:48:45 pm »

I'm still slightly scarred after reading them.  :-\

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2010, 05:55:12 pm »

There were two.

There've been quite a few over the years, but of the major ones, the first was a poll went on too long as people railed against everyone voting against feces in the game.   Then, trying to ignore that the poll was pretty clearly against shit in DF, they made another one which went on for too long and I can say that I had no interest in reading it.

Joakim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2010, 06:30:31 pm »

Technically I'm for something like "waste" in the game, but the community would devolve into potty humor which would drag the reputation of the game with it. Which I don't think is worth it. Kinda sad since I too want to make sewers and waste disposal systems.

Andeerz

• Bay Watcher
  • ...likes cows for their haunting moos.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2010, 07:01:15 pm »

No... not again... don't feed the trolls, people.  If Toady wants it, it will be in.  Please... thread over already!  Comment on the older one or read the older one, find a suggestion you think has merit, and come up with pertinent suggestions as to its implementation.  Debating whether or not people want it in the game is MOOT!  >:C  Capntastic already made the point about that.

On that note: I think it's pretty much independent of us on the suggestions forum whatgets put into the game, as ultimately DF is Toady's vision and I really don't think that a suggestions forum is going to convince him of whether or not to put this feature or that, especially if in this forum most arguments aren't very well thought-out and/or use loaded language, or use slippery-slope arguments or other logical fallacies (From being a frequent poster in this forum, I can say with certainty that this is the case of the nature of a good deal, if not most, arguments about being "for" or "against" this or that).    What the suggestions forum might do and be best for is influencing when something gets put in and maybe how (think about the eternal suggestions thread).  From what I gather, he's not making a game for the masses or to make a killer profit.  If he is, he's going about it in a rather inefficient way.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 07:10:40 pm by Andeerz »

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2010, 12:51:57 am »

It's not even about "it doesn't matter what people want, Toady decides", it's that every pro and con about Adding Shit to DF has been discussed at length, and it's pointless to retread that ground.

Urist McMick

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait... what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2010, 03:29:23 am »

I might point out that, the primary point of the thread was for adding urine, which was vital in the dyeing industry and in the production of gunpowder. On another note, if you want the thread to die, then stop posting in it, once it falls off the first page most people will forget it.
In a World without Walls and Fences, who needs Gates and Windows?
You could bite into your computer screen, chipping teeth and fucking up the screen.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2010, 04:10:59 am »

All sorts of things should be possible once proper fluids are added.

Moats of blood.

Quicksand traps.

Lye cascades.

Vomit fountains.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Evil One

• Bay Watcher
  • [Champion Elfslayer]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2010, 02:47:31 pm »

Think of the Adv mode possibilities.
The Faecal matter strikes the Elf in the head, dislodging the brain and ramming the brain through the skull.
The Elf has beed struck down!

The shit's hit the fan Elf

There's also incredible fortress mode potential... Washing your enemies away in a tide of urine, or a massive chamber above the entrance to your fortress which literally 'dumps' its contents on attackers!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 02:50:03 pm by Evil One »
Dwarf!  Indeed, a devious delight fond of drink and industry deceived as both do-gooder and devil by the delusions of deities.  This demander, no daft demeanor, is a driving force of the deadly diocese, now disappointed, delirious from goblin deception.  However, this delicious derangement of a demolished diamond stands determined!

harborpirate

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels eat: job item lost or destroyed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2010, 05:41:47 pm »

I think the idea of dwarves needing a pit zone declared as a special type (sewer?) and needing access to either chamber pots (designated buckets) or a grate over the pit zone would seem reasonable. Actually simulating the waste material seems a bit silly at this point.
This would give enterprising players the chance to build fancy bathrooms that actually did something (even though they'd be overkill).

Lord Vetinari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2010, 02:28:50 pm »

I'd like to make sewers and related structures, but I don't think that too much detail is needed. Excrements shoud just be at most a generic contaminant like mud.

It could add new needs and requests: common dwarves could do with public toilets, nobles requires a private restroom, which is kanda historically accurate, as in some middle age castles there were dedicated small rooms that dumped into the moat and the castle master quarters had a private one of those.

In some cities the old roman public latrins with running water were still used.

I'm not that sure, however, on the whole "using poo to do things" stuff.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2010, 03:47:54 pm »

Screw demon soap block towers, bring on the DEMON SHIT BLOCK TOWERS!

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2010, 11:11:17 pm »

Dear OP,

NO, NO, A THOUSAND TIMES NO.

Ø

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2010, 12:21:00 am »

This would add a other dimension of fun to this game. I look forward to this.

Tyrius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2010, 06:06:23 am »

We all know that urine/faeces as workable materials is not going to happen. Word of Toad has already made this matter clear I think.

While I agree with this on a fortress management level, it does mean that we'll never have to deal with waves of these s***heads (pun intended :P) crawling out of the depths to ravage our forces...

A prospect that has every dwarven cleaner, soldier, and doctor rejoicing in the halls, and a small piece of me dying inside.
because that's not the dwarven way. Could you make more statues of Urist instead of an impossibly large one chiseled out of the mountain? Sure, you could. If you want to be called a ninny elf by all your friends.
Pages: 1 [2] 3