Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I need to clean my pipes!  (Read 660 times)

blainemono

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I need to clean my pipes!
« on: September 27, 2010, 02:38:47 pm »

And that's not an euphemism. I've got some trees grown inside my closed-circuit water piping that block the drainage and leave me very unhappy. Due to various reasons this particular part of tunnels was very tricky to install service access to, so I didn't. And now trees. With some precise digging and some well-timed floodgate action I can probably temporarily re-route the waterflow and clean the pipe, but this is a one time solution and I've got the feeling some more trees are on the way.

So what can I do to prevent them trees from growing? Stuffing the pipe full of upwards stairways will probably work, but it will look stupid and I won't be having stupid in my pipes.

Also, on an unrelated subject, how do you capture megabeasts? I would really like some caged ancient monstrosities inside my day care center - education, you see - but they strongly disagree on the subject.

I made this room full of cage traps with a support and a piece of rock on top - supposedly megabests destroy the support, choke on the ensuing dust and fall unconscious. Well, they don't destroy the support. Statues, yes, drawbridges closed in the wrong direction, yes, but not supports, even if they have nothing else to do for a long periods of time. So I linked the support to topple on a lever pull - and as it turned out them bastards are immune to dustbagging, even the ones with more ore less normal anatomy. So I've bult some floor pieces to fall on megabeasts' heads - but they either kill it right away (rarely) or have no effect other than destroying cage traps directly below. So what do I do now? Modding dwarves to shoot webs (as wiki suggests) is out of the question.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: I need to clean my pipes!
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 02:40:09 pm »

Build floors, roads, or other buildings or constructions to prevent trees from growing in your pipes.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

UberNube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 02:57:59 pm »

3 main options:

If you want it to look good and use lots of stone, build floors.

If you want it done fast with little stone usage build roads.

If you want it done AWESOMELY, mod carp to have a large 'trample' value, then fill the tunnels with skeletal carp (or normal carp modded to be amphibious). They will then crush the saplings underwater before they grow into trees. (NOTE: This may fail horribly in at least 3 different ways)
This guy gets it, the problem with the child torture dungeon is that they weren't set on fire first.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 03:28:02 pm »

Another option not given in this thread is to designate stockpiles in the tubes.  I use custom stockpiles with nothing enabled.  This exploits the mechanic in where trees will not mature in the same area as a stockpile designation.  Yeah this is a little cheaty, but it is fast and easy  8)
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 04:51:17 pm »

Another way is to expose those tiles to sun, if that's practical - obviously if the passage is any depth below ground that's a real pain but for shallow tunnels it's not a big deal.  Build floor over the tunnel after it's been exposed to sun, and no underground flora will ever grow there.  While this also makes part of the surface sterile, that's not exactly a bad thing, if you've ever had a brushfire on the surface before - the sterile area will act as a firebreak.

Victuz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 04:52:17 pm »

Another option not given in this thread is to designate stockpiles in the tubes.  I use custom stockpiles with nothing enabled.  This exploits the mechanic in where trees will not mature in the same area as a stockpile designation.  Yeah this is a little cheaty, but it is fast and easy  8)

And it looks good.

I annually clean my fortress topside part from little trees by creating a huge stockpile all over the area and than erasing it. Works perfectly.
I once flung a migrant off a bridge. He collided with the brook cliff and died.
A year later, my legendary engraver engraved him colliding with an obstacle and dying.